Baby Names

DH hates my name choice

BillieB123BillieB123 member
edited November 2014 in Baby Names
When I was younger I came across the name and I always thought it was beautiful. I set it aside as a name for a potential future child and discussed it with my DH from time to time. He made it pretty clear right when I mentioned it that he didn't care for the name. He knew of a girl from high school with that name and he wasn't too fond of her. She didn't do anything to him that was particularly negative but whenever he hears the name it just doesn't resonate too well. I think it's just associated with a very awkward behavior that he just can't get rid of. 

I still really love the name and am sitting here, 20 weeks pregnant and wondering if using the name is a valid argument? Would you be able to disassociate a name from someone that you didn't really care for? Just trying to decide if I should keep the name or completely toss it out.

Re: DH hates my name choice

• I love that name, but DH doesn't like it, either. It was high on my list but we were able to come up with some names we both liked, and that was fine. I hadn't thought about the name for years as you have. Maybe it will grow on your DH?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'd keep looking for something you both love. Similar options:

Lydia
    Livia
    Leona
    Liliana
    Leila
    Leah
    Leilani
    Liora
    Lisette
    Luciana
    Lucetta
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Loading the player...
  • Just let it go for now and keep actively looking. Maybe he'll come around before baby gets here but maybe not. Associations don't bother me but for some they are a valid deal breaker. I think if you proceed as if the name was off the table there is a chance he could change his mind but if he doesn't you will need to let your favorite name go and find a new favorite name.

DH didn't have a bad association with my top boy pick but he didn't like it as much as I did and I had been thinking about it since I was 16. Well, I begged and pleaded and he finally agreed. When our team green turned pink it was a moot point. And now that we are gearing up for #2 I am starting to come around to the idea that my favorite boy name is not the only awesome boy name in the world. Hanging out around here helped with that too. The BNB really helps to expand one's name pallette IMO.

HTH
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Linnea, but if your DH doesn't like it then it should be out.

Suggestions:

Lorna
    Laurel
    Lorelei
    Ivy
    Viola

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I think the name is fine, but if your DH doesn't like it it's a no go. Just imagine if the situation was reversed. Would you want your husband to push for a name you hated?
  • I look at naming as a two way street. If you give his input the kind of consideration you'd like to get from him, you'll get much further than if you try to dismiss him.  I have hang ups about names that my DH thinks is just over thinking it...and he's probably right...but it doesn't change the fact that those names are off the table...just like the ones he associates with whatever bothers him.
  • Thanks! I definitely see your points. 

I think I should add that his reasoning is a bit silly. When I ask him why he didn't like her he said she was "weird". To me, this sounds like something that he could easily get over and a it's a bit childish. 
    I'm not disregarding his opinion, obviously it's his child too and I respect his decisions but I'm thinking at a certain point you can't just toss every name because you associate it with someone else.

I just wanted to see if I was way out of line to ask him to reconsider. 
  • Same issue. I loved Charlotte but DH knew a bully in high school with that name so it was vetoed. He probably won't change his mind.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Also, I can't stand the names Liam and Declan because of two nerdy kids in school with those names. Can't get past the need association I have with those names. So just because he though she was weird is a good enough reason.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• He said no, so I'd move on...

Lilly. Lillian. Renee.
  • There are very few names that I don't like solely because of negative associations with people with those names.  But this seems to be an issue for a lot of people.  If you've brought up the name already several times and your DH has rejected it for whatever reason, it's time to move on.  There are names I really love I've had to let go of because DH doesn't like them or they don't work with our last name.  I love Linnea, so I'm not trying to discourage you because I don't like the name, but there are a lot of great names out there.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I don't think it really matters what his reason is for disliking it. He doesn't like it, so it's not fair to keep pushing for it. My husband hates my top two girl names and I've had to come to terms with the fact that I'll never have a daughter with the name I loved growing up. Fwiw I love Linnea.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I love the name Linnea!

Being on the other side of this situation - i.e., DH has a name that he loves but due to an association I will never get on board with it - it's exhuasting and deflating to have him keep coming back to that name and not respect my veto and get excited about other names. I wouldn't keep pushing it, and instead focus on what you love about the name and seek out names that you also love.
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • I think there's a big difference between being meh on a name and him saying he really wouldn't use it.  A couple of times I've suggested a name and DH has been "meh, not really" and I keep it on the list.  There's a good chance he'll come around.  However, when I suggested Bridget he was like "ew no, I don't like that at all."  I drop that name because there's no point pushing when his opinion obvious.

I think YH has made his opinion clear and you should accept and move on and find a name you can love together.  
  • My husband hates the name Cordelia, because he thinks it's too masculine.  Silly reason?  Yes.  Valid?  Not really.  But you know what?  It doesn't matter.  He doesn't like the name, so it's off the list. There are some names I dislike that I can't even explain why. 

Instead of spending time trying to convince him otherwise, or mooning over the fact that it's your favorite, use the time to look for new awesome names. I'm sure you'll find something you both love.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • H hates a lot of my name choices. I throw them away.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"