3rd Trimester

Flu shot

lexclairelexclaire member
edited October 2014 in 3rd Trimester
Safe or not? I know they say it's safe but I didn't know there was a preservative free version until after I got my shot (which wasn't) and I'm so worried .. I read about it being linked to autism. Which I know probably isn't true but I'm not sure .

Re: Flu shot

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you. I'm just kinda ticked off at my doctor because I was never told about the preservative free and that I just put mercury into my bloodstream and my baby's bloodstream
  • Get the shot!
  • The risk of adverse reaction is extremely small and outweighed by the benefits. If you are currently sick you should wait until you are well before getting the shot.
  • First of all, no shot has been linked to autism- that study was debunked because of faulty science. The real reason autism has experienced such an increase in numbers is due to a few factors. Mainly stemming from earlier diagnosis and a change in diagnosis to include a larger spectrum.

Also, it is not mercury so there is not a mercury risk. Even if it wasn't a compound as and was mercury it would be a small amount- I mean do you stay away from tuna and other seafood?

:) I understand it can be scary, but really there is no need to fear. Your small baby getting flu however, would be a bad thing and is something much more worthy of worry. Get the shot and get the Tdap as well. 
  • It is worse to eat a tuna fish sandwhich than to get a vaccine, Mercury wise. Nova recently did a special on vaccines and also Penn and Teller did an episode of Bullshit about vaccines that was very good. I suggest watching one of those.
  • You getting a flu shot will not cause your unborn child to have autism. Swearsies.
  • It is SAFE. I received a "single" dose one vs "triple" dose..or something like that, but both are fine.

and for heaven's sake, how many more studies do they have to put out that say autism is NOT linked to vaccinations. This is my pet peeve. there was ONE study that has been provedn to be FRADULANT that said it, yet people keep on that bandwagon.

Repeat after me. AUTISM IS NOT CREATED BY VACCINES
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• This is a personal decision!  You should do what you feel comfortable with!  I didn't get the flu shot,  but I never ever do!  Do you always get the Flu shot?  Research some things on this topic and make the decision based off of that!   Getting the flu shot while pregnant is a newer thing that they have been doing!  My mother didn't get it while she was pregnant so I see no harm in not getting it!  To each is own!
  • If you got the flu, there's a small chance that you and your fetus would die, a less small but not big chance that your baby would die, and a really good chance that your baby would have neurological disorders including autism and schizophrenia (https://www.jneurosci.org/content/23/1/297.abstract). That's why it is so important that pregnant women get the flu shot.

• The "it's a personal decision!" people make me want to hulk out.  It's NOT a personal decision, as many others here have pointed out, it's a matter of public health.  Why people insist on eschewing modern medicine in favor of rolling the dice based on what some random person says on the internet is beyond me.  If it didn't involve possibly killing innocent babies I'd say leave it to Darwin. Would you risk your baby's life in any other way? No?  THEN VACCINATE. Ugh.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, but that concept is lost on most anti-vaxxers (be it the flu or any other vaccination.)  I strongly feel that you have to be an inherently selfish person to not vaccinate yourself or your children, as you are knowingly putting others at risk and don't care.  I mean, MERCURY!  Egads!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"