April 2014 Moms

Anyone Use Rosetta Stone?

I'm a teacher and will be going back to the classroom next year. Learning Spanish has been on my list for a while, since I always have quite a few Spanish speaking parents and wish I could communicate better. An add for Rosetta Stone popped up, and I started thinking that might be a great use of my time between now and when I go back to teaching in the Fall, since I could work at my own pace when baby is sleeping. So, has anyone used this program before? Any recommendations for or against? Thanks!
TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

Re: Anyone Use Rosetta Stone?

• I absolutely love Rosetta Stone.  At my old job, we had access to the internet version.  I was learning Polish and also brushing up on German.  It never felt much like learning to me, more like a game.  I would love to get back into using it again!
  • @poru that would be awesome, though I feel like I've forgotten about 80% of what I learned! 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited October 2014
    I would love to use Rosetta Stone, but unfortunately after the $40 or so first series of lessons the next "chapters" (that's all I can think of to call them) are a few hundred bucks a pop. X(

ETA: Hm, so after this lengthy review, I'm not so sure I'd still want to go with Rosetta Stone...

https://www.fluentin3months.com/rosetta-stone-review/

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • If you have an iPhone check out duolingo
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agree with Poru, I started with Pimsleur. Unfortunately, they have the same problem as Rosetta Stone of a ridiculous price after the first set of discs. =/

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Yeah...the Pimsleaur seems much more expensive. Rosetta Stone is $250 right now on sale for all 5 units. 

That was definitely an illuminating article though, @Soultermination, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Just need to find the best way to learn a language outside of the classroom :)

• TwirpleTwirple member
    edited October 2014
    You can try duolingo online.  I just found it, so I can't say how well it truly works, but I did 30 minutes of their dutch lessons today (my SIL moved to the Netherlands this summer).  After 30 minutes I can recognize and say a few sentences.

ETA:  As an added bonus, it is completely free, so if you don't like it, you're not out any money.  It was recommended by the Fluent in 3 months guy.

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• You could always try getting these programs used on craigslist if you don't want to sink too much money into it.
  • NxyNxy member
    Some public libraries have decent language learning software you can use. I can't remember what ours has but it's off brand Rosetta-Stone, worked well enough for me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @twirple - thanks for the rec of duolingo! I've been playing this morning and am liking it so far :)

• @CalinAZ I'm glad you like it!  I was having fun with it yesterday.  I think I'm going to do more today during nap time.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"