November 2014 Moms

Breastfeeding...help!

So my baby is 1 week old as of yesterday. During the day she will breastfeed every 3-4 hours and goes to sleep right after her feeding and sleeps until it's time for her next feeding. At nights starting around 10 she wants to breastfeed nonstop. She just wants to switch from one breast to the next. Last night she did this from 10pm-4am. I've read about cluster feeding...but this seems excessive. Does anyone have any advice?

Re: Breastfeeding...help!

• @carolineheider‌ she takes about 20 minute breaks in between but it definitely seems like it's just straight through!
  • 2ndGeneration2ndGeneration member
    edited October 2014
     You need to be waking her during the day so that she nurses every two hours or so. Then, let her sleep after the last evening feeding (like at 8 or 9 or so) so she takes a longer sleep stretch then.

She's got her days and nights reversed. Having her nurse and be awake during the day will fix that.

My dd was born Tuesday and is a bit reversed too. In fact I'm going to wake her up shortly to nurse-I did this all day yesterday and last night was not bad!
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD did the same thing! Think it was a few months before she nursed mostly during the day and less at night. Good luck!
  • Thanks everyone! What do you do if they won't wake up to feed every 2 hours during the day?
  • Have you tried a pacifier?

DD would want to just feed and feed all night long. She was full and had lots of diapers. She just wanted comfort. It was magic when the midwife suggested a pacifier. For us it didn't cause any problems and she stopped wanting a pacifier on her own at 8 weeks.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have to feed Dylan (3weeks) every 2 hours during the day as well. We wake her up and strip her down to make sure she stays awake. If she starts falling asleep while feeding, I'll mess with her feet or rub her head. Wakes her up and makes her continue to feed. She still is up every 1.5 to 2 hours at night but we started off like you waking up every 30 minutes. So progress is happening! You can do it mama!
  • DS1 went through this around the same time and I think it was comfort nursing but it passed in a few days.  I nursed through most of it and when I couldn't stay awake any longer SO or MIL took over cuddling him while he was swaddled and woke me when he needed to eat again.

The first several weeks are the hardest but follow your gut and do what feels right for y'all. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Have you tried a pacifier?

DD would want to just feed and feed all night long. She was full and had lots of diapers. She just wanted comfort. It was magic when the midwife suggested a pacifier. For us it didn't cause any problems and she stopped wanting a pacifier on her own at 8 weeks.
    She just gets extremely mad when we try to give her a pacifier.
  • I will definitely try feeding her every 2 hours today. Thanks everyone for your help :)
  • Cici3913 said:
    Have you tried a pacifier?

She just gets extremely mad when we try to give her a pacifier.
    lol it's probably for the best then. Some kids have a huge problem stopping, so yay for not even starting.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd start waking her to eat every 2-3 hours during the day and continue to nurse on demand at night. There is actually something in your milk at night that encourages sleep and helps baby get on track for days vs night- pretty cool!

You are only a week in - it will work itself out! Hang in there mama!
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"