Toddlers: 24 Months+

suddenly hates baths

any experience with this? my 2 yr old DS all of the sudden hates baths. i have since got him some fun new toys and he still screams through it. we've done showers with us too, just to keep things moving and he freaks out the whole time. its becoming a miserable experience either way. i think one time i accidentally made it too hot (and took him out and adjusted the water) and now every time he's crying that its "hot" even if its lukewarm, almost cold. did i scar him with uncomfortable water? any real life advice? thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: suddenly hates baths

• My DD went through something similar.  She saw a fuzzy in the water and thought it was a bug.  It took us two weeks and a ton of discussion before she would calmly go into the tub again.  Ultimately we bought bubble bath so she couldn't see any possible fuzz, and rubber froggies to suck up the fuzz.

In your case, I think time, patience, and reassurance is what you need.  Have you seen those temperature rubber ducks?  If the water is hot, the bottom changes colors.  I know they sell them at Target and Wal-Mart. Try and set up an experiment with a few bowls- one with cold water, another with warm water, and one with just hot enough to change the color. Maybe show what happens if the water is hot versus when it is cold- a little science experiment. Then move onto putting water in the tub with him and he can use the ducky to see if it alright.  It will probably take a few weeks to reassure him that it is warm, not hot.  Hang in there mama!  Good luck. 
  • DD went through an anti-bath stage just after she turned 2. Bath crayons were the key to get her interested again. She loves drawing all over the tub.

• Loading the player...
  • great ideas! I've read its a normal phase but haven't been sure how to get past it.  thank you for sharing. he's got tons of miscellaneous little toys that would be great in the bath and will def. look into the crayons.
  • Shaving cream mixed with food coloring to paint the walls is something my DD loves. Maybe let him take a plastic toy too give it a bath too.
  • So my son loves baths -- what he hates -- is having his hair washed -- he hates getting water on his face and in his ears -- I know I can do it without it get all over his face and in his ears but he won't stay calm enough for me to do it! What gives? Any advice on this one? 
  • My DD did this awhile back for what seemed like no reason. I tried toys, and getting in the tub with her, and none of that worked, and then a couple of weeks later I realized I had videos of her in the tub, so I let her watch them on the tv to show her how much fun she used to have in the bath. Right after, she went in the tub and LOVED it again. I guess she just forgot what it was like. Lol
  • My son hated baths because of the water in his eyes. He refused to lean back or even attempt to cooperate. We got him goggles and now he LOVES dumping the water on his head! The goggles made it so much more fun!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"