September 2012 Moms

Infant sleep advice

I need all your infant sleep advice, every day for the past two weeks it has been getting worse and worse. Last night we were up every 30 min from midnight until 6 am when I plopped her on DH and said I was done.

Day time sleep is fine, she takes an hour long nap around 10 and then naps from 1-4 (same as DD1s nap time) sometimes she will also nap 7-8pm we go to bed around 9:30/10pm. Eating is also fine (although the past two to three weeks she only poops on Sundays).  

Who's got some ideas for me?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Infant sleep advice

• I would work on the poop problem. A week sounds miserable to go without for multiple weeks in a row.

How old is she? Have you looked at how long she is awake total? Might be over tired, especially if she doesn't take that extra evening nap.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I agree with @hmp1.  Maybe see if it's related to difficulty with digestion. 

Or is it a wonder week? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Possibly try an earlier bed time. I would think that if she's trying to nap at 7-8 then maybe that's just when her body is saying she's tired. That's just my thought. I can understand if that doesn't fit into your life/schedule though.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Depending on how old she is, I'm inclined to also say move bedtime earlier. Both of my kids started sleeping longer stretches once we moved bedtime up.

• melody921 said:
    Depending on how old she is, I'm inclined to also say move bedtime earlier. Both of my kids started sleeping longer stretches once we moved bedtime up.
    Same here.  Luci was a night owl and a terror to get down, but it was because she was overtired.  I would definitely move up bedtime and work on the digestion/ constipation issue.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• She will be 4 months next week, she is bf and my diet hasn't changed so I'm not sure what I can do about the poop thing, we are doing infant massage as part of her pre sleep routine.

If she takes an evening nap it is in the stroller or a carrier when we walk our dog, I have tried changing the dogs walk time, but then she ends up whining in the middle of the night to be walked.

I guess we can try an earlier bed time I'm just not sure how to coordinate all the things that need to get done every night when she wants to nurse for 45min before bed.
  • 4 month wakeful, good times.

If the stools are hard, I would work with your pedi. If they are normal pea soup, just get through the 4 month wakeful and make sure you are finding her sweet sleep spot times. When my kids were little, that window wasn't huge, it got bigger with age.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• The poop is normal, it just seems to only happen on Sundays, in the middle of a football game and as a huge blowout all over daddy!
  • hmp1 said:
    4 month wakeful, good times.

If the stools are hard, I would work with your pedi. If they are normal pea soup, just get through the 4 month wakeful and make sure you are finding her sweet sleep spot times. When my kids were little, that window wasn't huge, it got bigger with age.
    I second the 4 month wakeful. L didn't sleep for nearly 2 months. It was hell and there was nothing I could do about it. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Exclusively breastfed babies can go up to 14 days without pooping. If you think about it, poop is just getting rid of the waste in your body, there is so little waste ingested with breast milk that there isn't as much that needs to come out. Although I'm saying that not knowing anything about the poop texture. The pedi told me that the harder the poops are, the longer they have been in the body (constipation). So if you are still dealing with liquid poops, I wouldn't be concerned at all.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Have you tried the 2-3-4 nap schedule? Two hours after baby wakes up, put her down for a nap. Three hours after she wakes up from that nap, put her down again. Four hours after she wakes up from the afternoon nap, it’s bedtime. This was the magic nap schedule for us. Night time sleep improved tremendously when he got good naps.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Sleep deprivation absolutely sucks. Instead of being super happy for people who have newborns, the first thing I think is "those poor people aren't going to get any sleep!" ha  

I agree it might be the 4 month wakeful.  DD never had it but DS seemed to..then again DS seemed to have it at 1 month, 2 months. 3 months..you get the picture.  He didn't sleep great until probably 10 months or so and even now we have some regression sometimes.  He did at least do a few hours at a time.  Every 30 minutes is awful.  I doubt there's much you can do to fix it at this point..just wait it out as best you can.  If you have a swing or a rock 'n play, I recommend trying it.  I know some people are against it but we used it when we needed to until he was about 6 months and we had no real issues transitioning to his crib.  Good luck!
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I forget everything about babies, and now I'm feeling kind of panicked because I think the only reason we did so well with W was because I was so in tune with what all the S12 ladies were doing.  I feel like I'm on my own this time because I'm not active on my bmb for #2 :(

We did have some sleep issues around 3-4 months, and major BF issues.  I think 3.5 months is when we figured out I was not producing enough milk and W was chronically hungry :(  Once we figured that out, she was a much happier kid and better sleeper.  I wish I had written down what schedule we followed.  I'm going to search for an old post... I remember posting about it, and the kid was a good sleeper once we got the schedule down.  "Schedule" of course, is used very loosely.  It was more of a routine than schedule.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • hmp1 said:
    4 month wakeful, good times.
    Yep.  This is where I am at too.

• jlk6 said:
    I forget everything about babies, and now I'm feeling kind of panicked because I think the only reason we did so well with W was because I was so in tune with what all the S12 ladies were doing.  I feel like I'm on my own this time because I'm not active on my bmb for #2
    I feel exactly this way. I really just feel like it was all a blur and I just don't remember! I'm kinda terrified that I'm not going to know what to do! I just lurk on N14 (and here) because I can't really bump at work anymore.

I feel like my new BMB, just isn't home so I mostly lurk. Plus they just outed the first catfish, I'm sure there is another.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"