I have no idea what you're talking about
29% 26 votes
Maybe, I heard something about it but I'm not positive
7% 7 votes
SS-Why are you talking about pigs?
1% 1 vote

Re: "Piggy Backing"

• Options
    I've recently talked to a few moms and they didn't know what this is so I'm curious to see what the majority votes. Also piggy backing is where you alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours to bring a fever down.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Yeah whoops, I thought you meant piggy back rides. I haven't really heard of that term in reference to alternating meds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ummm...oops. i answered wrong.

• Options
    Well I guess it's my fault everyone answered wrong... I should have gave the context. Whoops, I failed the poll!
  • Options
    I just say alternate every 4 hours. I also was thinking piggy back rides, but we also use the term of piggy backing meds on an IV.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    huntjulhuntjul member
    edited October 2014
    Why not to do this: scientific article here  

It basically states that since ibuprofen's dosing frequency is every 6 hrs and tylenol's is every 4 hrs, simple alternation on a regular schedule (e.g. 4 hrs) is not appropriate. 

Also it records that there have been 3 cases of kidney failure using this combo.

The article concludes that in very rare cases where one drug is not relieving the fever to the point of child's comfort (not to the point of fever elimination, which is not actually the goal since some degree of fever can have beneficial effects), then using both on an alternating schedule, carefully designed to take into account the different duration of action of the drugs, may be advisable at that point.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    Yeah, "piggy back" is either a ride or something a nurse does with IV medications...you're talking about alternating medications.

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpgimage
    imageimagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/07/a4ee8a96ea9a5b36f67716d2e4a85b.jpg

• Options
    I have not heard that term for it.

And we do ibuprofen every 6 hours and acetaminophen every 4 as they are directed. I make sure there is 2 to 3 hours between when doses of each are given.
    For example
    12:00 - ibuprofen
    2:00 - acetaminophen
    6:00 - ibuprofen
    8:00 - acetaminophen
    12:00 - ibuprofen

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Well I guess it's my fault everyone answered wrong... I should have gave the context. Whoops, I failed the poll!
    re-poll

• Options
    Piggy back rides here
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Options

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"