January 2015 Moms

STM's - Special laundry detergent?

I looked for a previous post but couldn't find one...so...For those of you who have BTDT...I'm just wondering about opinions on baby laundry detergents. Did you like? Not like? Are you planning on using it again? Why? Why not? Any other info you think would be useful?

Re: STM's - Special laundry detergent?

• You'll find that a resounding answer by women here is a free and clear detergent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just use a free and clear detergent like All or Tide. I think Dreft smells terrible so I didn't use it.
    Me: 31 DH:36
    DSS: 15 DS: 7
    DD born 1/3/15

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • motherboymotherboy member
    edited October 2014
    I use free and clear which is what I need to use for my husband's special snowflake skin anyway. DS has never had a problem with it.

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • Like the PPs said, you really don't need anything special except something without scent. Most brands make a free and clear option; some have more chemicals/dyes/etc than others, so check the labels if you're concerned. We use Ecos for all of our laundry, which is more natural than most.
    If you're worried about LO having a reaction to detergent, make sure that you're using the free and clear for everything that he/she will touch, not just clothing (sheets, blankets, your clothes, etc). And, like everything else, there is no way to know what your LO will tolerate until he/she has arrived, so don't stock up on any particular brand quite yet.
  • Dreft smells nice and works but is expensive. I'll probably use All Free & Clear or something comparable.
  • You don't need special baby detergent. Just use any Free & Clear brand.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Thank you for starting this thread. I've been wondering the same thing myself. I recently had to buy more laundry detergent and was looking at the price difference for the baby detergent. We already use All free & clear, so this makes me feel better.

Pregnancy Ticker

January '15 January Siggy Challenge: Newborn/Baby Fails

• Ladies ladies unless you plan on washing everything washable in fancy baby soap skip the expensive and go for the Free and Clear if you're worried but I only used it for a month then went back to my Tide/Gain (whatever is on sale that week)

Unless your baby for sure has a skin reaction you're good :)
  • nursemarie925nursemarie925 member
    edited October 2014
    So I'm in the minority I guess. For everyone else in the house, we use Tide free, because we All have sensitive skin . But I LOVE smell of dreft and look forward to using it on my babies. Any "free" detergent is fine to use though if you don't want to buy a separate detergent or don't like the smell.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yep - any detergent free and clear is fine. There is really no point in having two different detergents - we already use a free and clear (7th generation) and will continue to use it.

• I get the free and clear and use it for everything... and now I just kind of prefer it, I don't buy it because I feel like I need to, it's just nice to avoid possible sensitivity issues and plus I don't really like when detergent smells are overwhelming (like a double dose of both the soap and softener having a smell)... we do use a softener that has a light scent now that my kid is a toddler...when he was a baby I got free and clear versions for both.

No you don't need "special" baby detergent.... no need for two different detergents in the house.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Both DH and I have sensitive skin so I've used Dreft on everything for DD and plan on doing the same for #2. I happen to love the smell of Dreft. MIL refused to buy Dreft and would use her "green" detergent and DD had a reaction every time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Do you ladies have Purex down there in America? I love that label - the free and clear "natural", as it also is good for high efficiency washers, and cold water, AND it's less expensive than Tide.
  • I've used both Dreft and free and clear and the only major difference to me is the price (Dreft is much more expensive). Also, Dreft smells like "baby" where as free and clear is unscented. They both work so it basically just comes down to personal preference.

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• I am a SS. My first has extremely super sensitive skin, any regular detergent (even Free & Clear) irritates the crap out of her skin. I think it is the enzymes.
    "Natural" free & clear (7th gen, nellies, etc) are better and less irritating, but she is sensitive to coconut so we can't normally use those for her either.

I ended up using Soap Nuts for her laundry, the only thing that doesn't irritate. They are not super at getting stains out, so I pretreat, but are otherwise awesome.

I recommend NOT using fabric softener for the baby stuff.
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)
  • I used to use deft, but just used regular tide that we used anyway with my last baby.

We currently use a homemade detergent, so if we are still using that, that's what I'll use.

No special 'baby detergent' here unless he shows signs of allergies.

• Never changed our detergent. Never had any issues with either of my kids. They both tend to have sensitive skin but again, no issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"