August 2014 Moms
Options

Acid Reflux or tummy bug? *Update*

kareik01kareik01 member
edited October 2014 in August 2014 Moms

UPDATE: Got her in yesterday afternoon. Dr. was kind of baffled. Said he couldn't actually find anything wrong, so he was going to chalk it up to either a mild flu, or a flu that hasn't completely set in yet. Said he's seen a LOT of the flu in our area, so that's what he's going to assume it is. If she isn't better by Monday I'm supposed to take her back in to run actual tests. Funny thing though...she slept so much better last night. Hopefully, especially if it was the flu, she is getting over it.

I've got an appointment to get DD in this afternoon, but I thought I'd see if there are any similar experiences to help me go to the appointment with some idea of what to expect.

DD has been acting rather different this week and I'm starting to think it's either a tummy bug or acid reflux.

1. She has been EXTRA fussy. And when she gets into a really fussy mood, she is incredibly tense; either rolled into a tight ball or her legs stretched out and stiff as a board.

2. She won't sleep. We've been struggling all week. We get her down at her usual 9:30-10 pm, but she'll wake herself up within half hour. And it's up and down every hour! Until about 4 or so and she finally must be so exhausted she will finally sleep for about 2-3 hours. We'd been on a great schedule where she just got up once between 2-3 to eat and that was it. And she insists on sleeping on her side. We had to stop swaddling and put her in a sack because I'm afraid she'll roll onto her tummy because she's rolled so far on her side. And even during the day she won't sleep. I didn't work Tuesday, and she literally slept a total of an hour all day long. VERY unusual for us.

3. She won't nurse normally. She goes hog wild for about 30 seconds, then gets agitated and pops on and off for the rest of the feeding.

4. Last night, DH was up with about 3 am because I was just so exhausted. As he was rocking her, she projectile vomited a massive amount. DH was really concerned which tells me it was really bad. He's seen her get sick on me before and it's never phased him...so for him to be so concerned tells me just how bad it must have been. When I changed DDs clothes this morning, it smelled like vomit. Not spit up, vomit...just like it smells when I throw up from being sick.

Just everything combined over the last week has made me think something's wrong, but the huge projectile vomit last night tipped my worry scale, so I called to have her seen. When I called this morning, the nurse basically said whatever it is, she should probably be seen if it's affecting her sleep so much.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Re: Acid Reflux or tummy bug? *Update*

• Options

She'll be 11 weeks on Sunday. I've wondered growth spurt, but things seem to be getting worse rather than better, and I read that growth spurt symptoms usually last about 2-3 days. We are going on a week already.

Tried Gripe water and Colic Calm, neither with a noticeable difference. Gave her the colic calm on Tuesday and she hadn't slept all day and it didn't help at all.

• Options
    I have no experience with that, but I agree with you and the nurse that she really should be seen to figure out what the root cause is.  Doesn't sound like normal fussiness to me. Hope the appointment goes well and update to let us know what they think!

Married since 8.2.08
    DS born 8.11.14
    BFP #2: 9.14.16, EDD: 5.24.17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll update after the appointment at 2:30. I hope they help her feel better!
  • Options
    I'll be following this, it sounds just like my DD this week! We're thinking she has reflux or MSPI. Plus she's in a wonder week (12 weeks). She's been a holy terror for 4 days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Same here! Little gal has been fussy and different since her 2 month immunizations - beforehand, she napped throughout the day, and now, I'm lucky if she'll lay down for an hour straight. Projectile vomit at least once a day - which come to find out is a side effect of rotavirus vaccine. We think it's a little reflux too, so we started LO on a probiotic and she seems to be doing better today!
  • Options
    ER visit. Projectile vomiting does not sound ok. She could be getting a blockage. Better safe than sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"