August 2014 Moms
Options

When do you plan to introduce solid foods?

jendem8jendem8 member
edited October 2014 in August 2014 Moms
A spin-off from some other threads got me thinking and researching, so I wanted to see what others are planning...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

When do you plan to introduce solid foods? 180 votes

Before 4 months
0% 0 votes
Between 4-6 months
31% 56 votes
Around 6 months
56% 102 votes
At 7-8 months
1% 2 votes
8 months-1 year
1% 3 votes
After 1 year
0% 0 votes
SS
2% 4 votes
Show me the answers
7% 13 votes

Re: When do you plan to introduce solid foods?

• Options
    6 months-ish, same as DS1. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was advised not before 6 months. So probably not until the end of February.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    6 months ish. Same as it was for DS.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Options
    I'm going to try some cereal somewhere around 4-6 months if I think he's ready and after checking with pedi.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Whenever I feel she is ready. I started C around 5.5 months. I am skipping the cereal this time though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Im starting at/around 6 months, not in any rush.

Also, I know avocados are nutritious but why are ppl so excited to give it to LO as a first solid food?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Sometime after 6 months.

TTC Since 6/13
    BFP 1: 6/16/13  EDD: 3/2/14  MMC: 8/26/13
    BFP 2: 11/16/13 EDD: 8/3/14
    Baby Brody born 8/1/14!!!

• Options
    I started at 5.5 months with my first daughter. She was showing all the signs of readiness. I think we gave bananas? You would think I would remember!

This time around I am limiting the fruit we give and sticking to mostly veggies. They develop a sweet tooth fast and will refuse stuff like broccoli and peas if you constantly feed them peaches and bananas. IMO.
  • Options
    We will start BLW around six months.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Sorry what is blw?
  • Options
    likely 6 months, though perhaps a fruit puree or two around month 5 if he seems interested

image    image
  • Options

Sorry what is blw?

Baby led weaning. Weaning in this case means adding (food) not deducting breast milk. The theory is that you let the baby explore food and textures when they are ready (sitting up straight and can chew/swallow with no spoon) instead of spoon feeding purees and cereal. At least that's what I've gathered so far.

We will probably mostly do BLW but I do want to give some purees to make sure he gets enough iron.
  • Options
    Baby Led Weaning. It's a book, but the theory is that you don't give baby purees, just soft foods that they can learn to eat at their own pace like avocado, steamed carrots, peas, bananas, etc. This way, they learn to chew then swallow vs. just learning to swallow with purees then learning to chew later.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    kareik01kareik01 member
    edited October 2014

Are we counting cereal as solid foods?

If so probably around 3-4 months. DD always seems to have tummy issues, and I feel like something heavier than just mommas milk would help her out.

As for actual food, probably closer to 6 months but will let her lead the decisions. I hope she's ready early...she's a little squirt, only 8th percentile for weight and 24th for height, so she needs some good food to grow!

Edit for spelling

• Options
    I put 4-6 months. I would like to wait until 6 but DH is campaigning for earlier!
  • Options

I'm not trying to be rude, but curious as to why some are in so much of a hurry?

I will admit to being excited to watch him try new foods and feeding him is the one thing I was really looking forward to when I was pregnant and terrified of having a child but when the recommendation for only breastmilk for 6 months then why the rush? I figure he is getting everything he needs from EBF and I have read that it can be detrimental to start solids too early. And isn't rice cereal a total waste of calories as there is no nutritional content?

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• Options
    We just talked to our pediatrician about this at DS 2 month shots appointment and they said absolutely we can start introducing at 4 months and see how interested he is.  so we will.
  • Options
    My pedi said we may start with cereal around 4 months depending on his progress the next two months
  • Options
    Ped is okay with four months but we are EBF and will probably wait til 5-6 months depending on her readiness. EBF babies start to run low on iron stores at six months, so you would need to supplement iron if you're not feeding it at that point (through fortified cereal or meat). There's nothing wrong with rice cereal...I wouldn't go crazy with it, but a serving a day (or two) is fine.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Options
    Both DD1 and DD2 were EBF and started cereal/food at 4-5 months (pedi's recommendation) so we'll do the same with DS. We always did solids after feeds so they'd get BM first - neither has any allergies.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 - 07/24/10       DD #2 - 08/01/12
  • Options

I would like to throw out there that giving your baby fruits will not necessarily give them a sweet tooth. We gave our older daughter pretty much nothing besides applesauce, oatmeal, and the occasional banana for the first month at least. To this day she loves her vegetables (especially zucchini, and peas) and will eat anything you put in front of her. In my opinion, a large part of what babies will eat just depends on the baby.

Yes! And what they'll eat changes over time. Feeding a 9 month old is nothing like feeding a 2-3 year old. It becomes such a control thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"