Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Diaper rash

My baby girl has the worst diaper rash I've seen on her. Usually a little destin does the trick but not this time. Any advise would be great!

Re: Diaper rash

• Get a cream with the highest percentage of Zinc Oxide you can find (hint: it's usually the cheap stuff).  The stuff we use in the hospital for bad diaper rash is 16%.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • Penaten Cream works great on diaper rashes. We use a lot of vaseline on our son with almost every diaper change (other times we use penaten cream) and we haven't had any issues with diaper rash. Fingers crossed we don't. That would be so uncomfortable!
    Also, a nurse told me not to use wipes every time he pees as those can cause diaper rash as well because of the chemicals that are in them. A warm, wet wash cloth works for the times we skip the wipes. Just make sure she is dry before putting a diaper on her. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you breastfeeding? I will cover my Loa rash in milk and then air dry, always seems to do the trick
  • Triple Paste

Also, not sure how old your LO is but if the diaper rash started after you introduced any new foods it could mean a sensitivity so keep an eye on that.

And ChrisB's advice is good re: not using wipes all the time, letting them air dry, etc.

• We limit wipes use, air dry when possible, and use aquaphor in our home.  
  • You haven't said how long it has ben there or what it looks like so I'll also throw out that it might not be regular diaper rash at all. Could be yeast infection or skin reaction to something as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What brand of diapers are you using? We switched from huggies and pampers to the honest co and we haven't had a rash once! I was using every cream out there and nothing helped. Maybe try organic diaper and whipes to see how that works before investing in them
  • I've used a combo of Desitin then a layer of Burt's bees multipurpose ointment on top (if you want to go the petroleum jelly free route).   Anytime I see some redness, I put some of that Burt's Bee's ointment. 
  • Are you using cloth or disposables?  What brand? 
    I would try some burnt flour.
  • Have you considered moving up in diaper sizes? We had a lot of diaper rash going on with DS and when we moved from size 1 to 2, that made a world of a difference! Still have a little going on, but it's 10x better than it was. We use go back and forth between huggies and pampers currently, don't see any difference in the brand. We Aquaphor for the rash too and that seems to help more than desitin and butt paste. We also top with a little bit of powder. Key thing for us is changing his diaper often. We try not to let him sit in it too long if we can help it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • iveheard that babiescan develope a rash before teething starts and goes away after the first 1-2 teeth come through.? 
  • I use zinc oxide cream at almost every change in the areas where her bum or thighs meet a diaper crease and at her anus and it works as a barrier, so she doesn't form rashes in the first place but would get a teeny bit red from time to time.

also I wash her bum daily in the house even if we are not doing a bath that day
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Hello.  My daughter also had the worst diaper rash ever.  It was so bad it was bleeding and it looked like someone had ripped her poor little skin off.   I tried all kinds of creams and nothing helped until I did this:

1 - use soft wet paper towels instead of wipes. don't resume using wipes until after it all heals
    2 - keep her diaper free as much as you can.  I lined her bed with a changing pad and kept paper towels under her instead of keeping her in a diaper for a couple of hours during the day.
    3 - A&D and CORN STARCH!!!  before you put a diaper on her get a big glob of A&D and glob it on her butt, then get corn starch and put a ton on top of that.  The A&D protects her skin and the Corn Starch clumps up the pee and poo and keeps it from getting to her skin. 

After just a day after doing this, the rash started to get better and was gone in just a few days.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • one more thing I want to add since I didn't address this in my prior response.

Use corn starch from the supermarket baking isle, not the corn starch baby powder.  They say its 100% corn starch, but it is not, there are fragrances and such.  Dump all that powder out of the bottle and fill it with straight up corn starch instead.  Use tons of it in her diaper, Its a miracle worker. :)  Good luck
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • AstroM145 said:

I've used a combo of Desitin then a layer of Burt's bees multipurpose ointment on top (if you want to go the petroleum jelly free route).   Anytime I see some redness, I put some of that Burt's Bee's ointment. 

We also use the BB multipurpose ointment! Love it. Do that after each BM and if she's getting red, red we use Boux. Buttpaste. The zinc oxide in there is at 16%. We also blot instead of "rub" when cleaning her bottom- once when she was rather poopy as well we just gave her a bath instead of subjecting her to more wipes. This was at the peak of the redness.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"