November 2014 Moms

Brooks birth story....long and there's stuff about pain- just a warning

Ok so this might be long but it's got some funny parts.

So on Monday, I had my membranes stripped (I had them stripped the week before and nothing). I was 5 centimeters and 80% effaced. My biggest fear with being this dilated was missing the epidural. Monday night I was getting a lot of contractions, I started timing them, but they weren't consistent or strong enough. I thought for sure I was going to go in to labor but I fell asleep and woke up to no contractions.

Tuesday I was doing my hair when I thought my water broke, it was a lot of bloody mucus plug. I have been losing my mucus plug for weeks but this was different. I shrugged it off and DH and I went to the mall. Lots of walking, nothing extreme. We got home and had sex, I thought this would help get some contractions started....nothing.

We craved pumpkins with our boys and ordered pizza. At about 9:00pm the contractions started, again not strong enough or consistent. I went to bed around 10:30 and woke up at 3:30am with strong contractions, strong enough that I didn't even need to time them, and I knew I couldn't wait for DH to get the kids together. I was scared to death of missing the epidural, so I told DH that I would go and he should meet me there, in my frantic, not paying attention, having bad contractions, I backed in to DH's new truck with my new Honda Pilot (we just bought these vehicles not even a week ago), the damage to the vehicles weren't too bad but the pain was horrific so off I went, fortunately the hospital is 15-20 minutes from our home.

I walked in and tell them I'm in labor, of course everyone's moving really slow and the pain is real so it was pretty much like I was in a slow motion movie. We get up to labor and delivery, they check me and I'm at 7 centimeters, I'm flipping out at this point. All I can think of is I won't get the epidural. So I'm asking over and over again if I'm going to get it, no one is really answering me, but everyone is moving much faster all of the sudden. I keep asking about the epi and they keep saying "we can't promise you anything at this point".

At this moment I need to give a standing ovation to those mamas that go all natural, I was in so much pain.

Finally the anesthesiologist comes in, and wasn't very nice. He pretty much told me that it would have been better if I had just had my baby right when I got there because then I wouldn't need one?!? Because he was the man with the drugs I kept my mouth shut but I was mad. With my last pregnancy I had a lot of problems with the epi on my left side (it didn't work, I felt a lot) and he told me that would be the case this time as well. He gives me the epidural and I seriously felt nothing on my right side and everything on my left side.

I was in so much pain.....after the epidural, they checked me and I was at a 10, a few minutes later and the dr broke my water. I was in so much pain I was screaming and crying and it wasn't good. (DH was there at this point)

The two nurses decide to try and let me push, this was a horrible idea. I know why they were doing it, once I have the baby, the contractions go away therefore the pain goes away but he was still really really high, so that made me even more hysterical, after a few minutes of that I rolled over, closed my eyes and pretty much checked out. But in doing that, it fixed the epidural on the left side and within an hour my epidural was doing it's job and I wasn't feeling anything.

After this, everything gets much better, I pushed about 3 times and he came out. At one point, there was 3 nurses, a doctor, a student doctor, my husband, and my mom all standing around staring at my vagina with a big light on it waiting for the monitor to show a contraction and it was so uncomfortable that I had to say something so I said "so what's everyone doing after this?" Everyone cracked up and it definitely made the moment a littler better.

Brooks came flying out, anyone worried about a big baby, don't. I was so worried, he was 8 pounds 15 ounces, 21 & 1/2 inches long and pushing was the best part. I did get a tiny 2nd degree tear but other then that, I'm feeling great!!!!

We did delayed cord clamping and skin to skin, we are both getting the hang of breast feeding.

Writing this now because I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have in the future now that I have THREE kids!!!

Re: Brooks birth story....long and there's stuff about pain- just a warning

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"