Cloth Diapering

So many questions

I think I could be considered an official stalker of this board. You have answered so many of my questions and I am currently in the "buy all the cloth diapers" phase. DH thinks I'm crazy but I will show him! Anyway the more I stalk, the more questions I have... 

1.  I have started some purchases (Mainly nb covers and some Kawaii P&N so far) but when I think about the total cost of a complete stash, I am guessing that I will end up close to $800 with accessories and everything**. Does that sound right or is this too much? I know there are many options but I am planning to do a nb stash and then mainly OS AIO/Pockets to accommodate DC. I am hoping to find some good deals around the holidays to cut back a little too. 

2. How many changes would you recommend for washing EOD once we are out of the nb stage? 

3. I have seen people mention soaking their overnight diapers. Is this necessary/recommended/do I have to? This doesn't sound like fun 

4. Stripping. Is this just on an as needed basis or is this something I should plan to do once a month or so?

5. Drying.  Do you hang dry your AIOs or put them in the dryer? How long do they take to hang dry?

6. Rinse vs. Wash.  I'm guessing this is just something I have to figure out for myself. I have an older washer and could do a cold rinse or a warm wash with a cold rinse before adding detergent. Should I try just the rinse and see how it goes or start of with the wash right away? 

7. That's it for now but I'm not due till March so I will continue to stalk :)  TIA!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: So many questions

• KATE732 said:
    I think I could be considered an official stalker of this board. You have answered so many of my questions and I am currently in the "buy all the cloth diapers" phase. DH thinks I'm crazy but I will show him! Anyway the more I stalk, the more questions I have... 

1.  I have started some purchases (Mainly nb covers and some Kawaii P&N so far) but when I think about the total cost of a complete stash, I am guessing that I will end up close to $800 with accessories and everything**. Does that sound right or is this too much? I know there are many options but I am planning to do a nb stash and then mainly OS AIO/Pockets to accommodate DC. I am hoping to find some good deals around the holidays to cut back a little too. 
    I feel like that's a little high for starting with. I really would wait on a OS stash
    until you know what you are going to like. That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room
    for fun stuff or cool prints you want to buy down the road just because.

2. How many changes would you recommend for washing EOD once we are out of the nb stage? 

3. I have seen people mention soaking their overnight diapers. Is this necessary/recommended/do I have to? This doesn't sound like fun 
    Depends on the kid.  My toddler didn't need a specific ON diaper until she was 20 months.  And it's just a best bottoms cover with a doubler and a cotton/hemp insert, nothing special.  My 5 month old is already in sbish.  But really, ON diapers are NBD.  Don't stress.

4. Stripping. Is this just on an as needed basis or is this something I should plan to do once a month or so?
    Only if needed.  However, BG does recommend a bleach wash every month.  But I don't actually know anyone who does that.

5. Drying.  Do you hang dry your AIOs or put them in the dryer? How long do they take to hang dry?
    I dry them, but I understand that it will lessen the life of my AIOs, and probably affect resale value bc the elastic will be relaxed.  I put them in on medium low.  My covers I hang dry.

6. Rinse vs. Wash.  I'm guessing this is just something I have to figure out for myself. I have an older washer and could do a cold rinse or a warm wash with a cold rinse before adding detergent. Should I try just the rinse and see how it goes or start of with the wash right away? 
    I would just start with a rinse and see if it works.  Don't overcomplicate it. 

7. That's it for now but I'm not due till March so I will continue to stalk :)  TIA!
    You're welcome.

TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • 1. Too much is up to you. $800 is a lot less than you would spend on sposies, and you can always resell.

3.only if you start to have issues. depends on how much your LO pees at night, the type of diaper, etc.

4.as needed. If you need to do regularly you have a laundry issue that should be fixed.

5.I only have a handful of nb AIOs and I dry in dryer, then hang until dry. 

6.you need agitation in the rinse. if your rinse cycle doesn't agitate, use a quick wash instead.

7. congrats!
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • I would answer, but I would only be repeating what has already been said.  Congrats and welcome.
  • ^what they said
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Once again, thanks so much!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"