January 2013 Moms

UPDATED!!! NBR: to get a kitten, or not....

jobiannjobiann member
edited October 2014 in January 2013 Moms
So I'm strugging with the opportunity to adopt a kitten or not. I NEVER thought H would go for adopting a kitten but this past week after seeing how much J LOVES baby kittens he is weak. He said we can go look at some friend's 6 week old kittens (won't be ready to adopt out for 2 more weeks). But now I'm worried I just wanted one so bad because I knew H would never go for it. He is much more of a dog person, I grew up with cats but farm cats, not indoor cats.

I know we would provide a good home for a cat, we have a great back yard on a dead end street too so she would have the ability to go outside if we want her to. But I'm really worried about kitty litter, fur, etc in the house. Am I over thinking it? I'm really bad with change, change makes me nervous and anxious so I think most of my issue is anxiety.

So, to those with indoor cats, any advice?

Might be helpful to see photos of your feline fur babies....

UPDATE:: We've been all over the emotional radar this past week on pets. So I hop on a local animal shelter site and come across this adorable guy...

So went to meet him and boy was he a hyper puppy. Very beautiful German Shepherd only 3.5 months old. After meeting him and playing out in the shelter's yard with him we decided our son just didn't "gel" with him. Beau (puppy's name) was constantly nipping at J's shoes which he DID NOT like at all. And in his face with licks. So although my H and I fell in love with him we just didn't have the right feeling about him for our son. Later that afternoon the shelter called me and ask for our final decision as they had a nice young couple in who wanted to adopt him. So we passed.

We also went into their kitty room and J had a BALL! He and my H (who dislikes cats) feel in love with this beauty....Nell
She is just over 1 year and is very lovey and sweet, not too hyper, just wanted petted and purred so loud. We ALMOST took her home but decided we might be rushing into it. So we went home empty handed. H and I said if Nell was still there in a few weeks we'd revisit it. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
**Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

Re: UPDATED!!! NBR: to get a kitten, or not....

• I have always grown up with cats, and have two indoor cats currently. Both were already a few years old when DD was born, and are declawed on all four paws. They are super sweet cats, and DD loves them, but I might be a little more concerned if they had claws. I remember getting a new kitten when I was 7, and I was always covered in kitten claw marks from playing with the kitten and the kitten climbing on me. I can't remember exactly how old they have to be before they can be declawed - 4-6 months maybe?

If it were me and we didn't have cats yet, I'd probably just wait until the kids were a little older. If you do get a cat though, my experience has always been that the male cats are more tolerant of children than the female cats. We have had the best luck with male orange tabbies.

• @Sep5Bride I hear so much talk that you shouldn't declaw cats. This is something I just started hearing since I actually started thinking about getting a cat. But obviously I do not want her/him to scratch any of us, furniture, etc. Anyone use the kitty caps or a similar product?

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I had cats previously that passed away and I do miss having animals sometimes. However, I do not plan to get any more animals until T is older. He loves dogs and cats but you can't forget who takes care of them! The litter is a pain and if you have a crazy cat like mine, they will always kick it out of the box. I had lids, different doors - somehow the litter always got out of that box! And it needs to be somewhere that the kitty can access it but J can't! Also you need to think about if you go on trips, etc., you will have to make sure someone can take care of the cat for you. If you do get a kitten, though, I would suggest not having it go outdoors at all. Brings in a whole other group of problems (ticks/fleas/bringing in its "toys" ie dead mice). I didn't declaw my cats but that would be a serious concern for me with Taylor. Also agree with PP's suggestion on getting a male cat but be sure you get it neutered right away. (Sorry if this was negative, just wanted to offer my real opinion).

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jobiannjobiann member
    edited October 2014
    No you are not negative, I wanted opinions!!! I don't rush into things lightly, which could be a downfall. I like to make educated decisions!! But mostly I hate making decisions like this, I over think and worry. I'm sure having a cat would have more benefits then not...hopefully. 

So we'll see, we have a few weeks to think about it yet, so that is good!

Anniversary

• I have always had cats, and I don't think one cat would be too much bother.  Although it kinda depends on the cat!   In any case here are my thoughts:

- Kittens are adorable but honestly they are a pain in the ass, too.  They keep you up at night, etc.  This is not to discourage you, it's just I always forget how crazy they are.  

- I highly recommend male cats.  I have found they are much less neurotic.

- Look into different breeds, you can select for personality to some degree.  I had a cat with some "rag doll" bred into him and he was awesome, so mellow.

- Maine coons are awesome cats and kind of dog-like, your husband might like that.  But they are long-haired.

- In terms of having fur all over...I always stick with short-haired cats, much less fur.  And you could check out the coat of the mother cat.  We have one orange kitty that barely sheds at all, he has finer thinner hair.  Our other orange kitty has crazy thick hair and sheds all over the place and it drives me nuts.

- Littler is a pain in the ass no matter what.  Although I now by this litter made of walnut shells and it is SO much better to deal with than the awful clay-ish crap.

I think one cat would work, just be picky about the sex and breed?
  • It's becoming very difficult to find vets that will declaw cats now. Where I worked, it was only done as a last resort (like the owner would euthanize the cat If we didnt). Soft paws aren't that hard to get on most cats. It's just a matter of getting them used to them. Same with clipping their nails.

Another thing to think of is the initial cost. The first year can get expensive. Vaccines and boosters, spaying/neutering, deworming, etc.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I was listening to a radio show that was discussing declawing - they actually have to remove the equivalent of the whole end of the finger.  Apparently it can result in lifelong pain for the animal (how they know this, who knows) and is now illegal in Europe?  Something like that.  I know we have a vet on our board (is it @kittynap?)
  • I was listening to a radio show that was discussing declawing - they actually have to remove the equivalent of the whole end of the finger.  Apparently it can result in lifelong pain for the animal (how they know this, who knows) and is now illegal in Europe?  Something like that.  I know we have a vet on our board (is it @kittynap?)

I'm not a vet, but a veterinary nurse and have assisted in declaws. You are right. They have to remove the whole end of the finger. If you look at your finger, it is the equivalent to removing the portion with the nail down to the knuckle. If part of the bone is missed, the while nail can grow back. If not done properly, it can cause chronic pain.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• No real opinion, but thought I would share that at the pumpkin patch we went to this weekend DD was OBSESSED with looking at the "tats" (her word for cats) they had there.

My mom thought it was hilarious because I am not a cat person AT ALL. They're cute from a distance but most  cats I know are really temperamental. Plus, it seems almost everyone know is highly allergic to them and my grandma and straight up TERRIFIED of them. She won't go in a house with a cat, so it's safe to say we won't be getting one anytime soon.

I am incredibly biased but I think that a dog is the best choice for a family, especially little kids. Teaches them responsibility and they can chase each other around and wear each other out. But again, I'm not the person to ask because I'm a dog lover who could care less about cats ;-) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • If your going to let the cat outside dont declaw it. Just put double sided tape on you furniture for a dew weeks. Cats dont like to get stuck and they learn quickly. I just got a kitten and did this. Worked wonderfly
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @kittynap We just really liked Nell, she was much calmer then the 7 three month old kittens they had there too. J really liked playing with all the cats, DH actually admitted J just might be a cat person (he said it with a bit of a tone...). So we'll see. I'd really like to visit Nell again in a month if she is still there.

Anniversary

• I'm rooting for Nell, I have a soft spot for black cats!
  • I'm rooting for Nell, I have a soft spot for black cats!
    Speaking of black cats, some crazy cake was on one of our local pet sites telling people not to give away free black kittens this time of year. Because people sacrifice them this time of year....she was scolding people.

Anniversary

• jobiann said:
    I'm rooting for Nell, I have a soft spot for black cats!
    Speaking of black cats, some crazy cake was on one of our local pet sites telling people not to give away free black kittens this time of year. Because people sacrifice them this time of year....she was scolding people.
    It must be terrifying to live in a world (in your own mind) where there is a bloodthirsty Satanist behind every tree.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"