November 2014 Moms

Baby Connor's Birth Story (a little late and a lot long)

I hemmed and hawed about writing this because for me, it was an awful experience, but I feel it might be cathartic because I usually gloss over lots of detail when asked about my delivery.

My pregnancy had been a breeze, I had light constant nausea, but no aches, pains, swelling, hemorrhoids, etc... Everything was staying uneventful up until October 8th. That night as I was lying in bed I noticed that LO wasn't very active. I have a short torso and he was a bit large so I knew where he was and what he was doing at all times.

The next morning, I felt him move a bit, but it was still not normal. The last time I felt him was my drive to work at 9:30am. 3 hours later, I began to get a little anxious and I ran to the minimart and downed a chocolate muffin and some orange juice. 2 hours after that, I had still not felt movement and pushing on him didn't do much so I called my doctor. I waited 30 minutes for a callback and was told to head over to L&D for monitoring.

Unfortunately, I was working with 2 new employees who were not really in a position to be left by themselves. I told the boss's assistant I would be taking my lunch and heading to the hospital and that I would update when I got there.

My work and the hospital are a quick less than 10 minute ride on the streetcar so I tried to calmly walk to the stop. Part of me thought it would be okay, but part of me was thinking the worst, so I called DH, who was 20 minutes away and told him to meet me in L&D.

I was admitted around 3:30 and they popped a heart rate monitor on me, LO's heart was racing at 180. I had just had a checkup 5 days prior and everything had been perfect. I was trying not to panic. My cervix was checked and I was at a 4! I was given an ultrasound and everything become much more clear, he was running out of amniotic fluid. This was impossible, I said, I hadn't been leaking, what happened to his fluid? The OB (mine was nowhere near the hospital at all) immediately concluded an infection and had started talking about taking him out right then and there.

I was so relieved to see DH walk in at that moment, and the OB relayed everything that was happening, he looked at me and I was just nodding and tearing up. After briefing DH, I was rushed to the OR.

The anesthesiologist, was awful. They were trying to bend me over in order to get the spinal in, he failed the first time, the pain was so intense I started bawling, he blamed me for not bending far enough forward. Sorry, guy, there's a basketball in my way and I'm still processing having a baby 5 weeks early. One if the nurses is hugging me at this point and she helps pull me forward. He's able to place the spinal and I scream, at that moment, my water broke. They were testing my numbness and I noted spots I could still feel. They let DH in and he sat right next to me.

It was time to start cutting, everything was fine until they hit the last half inch on the left, I could feel everything there! It was a level of pain I had never imagined. I was screaming and crying and DH thought I was dying, he was trying to tell me things to calm me down, one of them was that his name would be Connor (DH was set on Ethan) everyone had become aware that I could feel, but there was nothing they could do.

Connor David was born at 4:34pm October 9th, at 34w6d. He weighed 6lbs 13oz and was 17 3/4". He whimpered which was great to hear. DH was brought over while they cleaned him up. They finished and he was rushed to the NICU in the hospital 5 minutes away.

I was wheeled into recovery where I had a panic attack due to not being able to feel or move my legs. I stayed overnight and DH never left my side. The next day, I was cleared to be transferred to the other hospital, only to be told DH couldn't drive me, I had to wait an hour for an ambulance, I broke down and started crying again. All I wanted to do was see Connor.

Over 24 hours postpartum, I was finally brought over to see my baby. He was breathing on his own, and I had instantly fallen in love. The OB's suspicion was correct, and Connor had contracted group b strep through my placenta. I know I shouldn't, but I couldn't help feeling like I had failed him. They had mentioned to me several times that he probably wouldn't have made it had I not come in when I did, I'm still plagued with what ifs to this day.

He stayed in the NICU for 11 days and I stayed with him, he took to BFing right away and was doing so well, he was removed from most his monitors and his antibiotic schedule was pushed up so he could be released a day early. Staying in the NICU and hearing other parent's stories, we feel so lucky to have had our outcome.

My incision is healing well, but the skin above is numb, whenever I touch it, I tear up a little. I had wanted a vaginal, unmedicated birth, I wanted to feel labor. In the end, I have my beautiful son in my arms, he's healthy and I would have taken any means to get him here.

Bonus photo from his photo shoot yesterday!

Re: Baby Connor's Birth Story (a little late and a lot long)

• Congratulations .. So happy for you two! Glad your are healing well and are healthy. :)
    Blessings....
  • So sorry you had such a rough time.  I can't imagine the what if's running through your head.  Thank goodness you paid attention and went in.     

I am glad everything worked out, even if the road was rough getting to this point.   Thanks for sharing your story!  :)

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats!!! He's a cutie!!
  • Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your honest feelings about how things unfolded.  I'm so sorry things went so far off your hopes and dreams for the delivery.  I can only imagine how scary and overwhelming it must have been.  However, I am incredibly pleased for you that things worked out in the end and you have your beautiful boy! I think we all have to be somewhat mentally aware that things aren't necessarily going to go to plan and do our best to focus on the positives, while also being caring of ourselves and accepting that having a range of emotions about our experience is okay, even when those feelings aren't all rainbows and glitter.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congratulations!  I'm sorry that you had to go through such a scary experience, but glad that everyone is home and healthy :-)

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Congratulations! He sure is a cutie. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Glad you are healing and Conner is home. I'm sorry your experience was horrible. Many hugs and what a beautiful little man!
  • Thank you for sharing your birth story with us. I am so sorry you had to go through what you did. You are so strong, way to go following your instincts. Connor is such a beautiful baby. Congratulations!
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Omg. I'm so sorry that they messed up the drugs. I can't imagine how painful and scary that would be. Thankfully, you and your baby are healthy now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry this was such a rough experience for you but I'm so glad the end result is a happy healthy baby and that you are healing up.

• I'm so sorry your labor did not go as you expected and you had such a horrible experience.

Your son is adorable.

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Your son is so cute. I love the photo. A huge congratulations! I am so glad he survived and you went in when you could. That definitely sounds like a terrible experience for you and I hope that if you plan on having more children, it'll improve for you, perhaps a successful VBAC? So traumatic! I hope that you are taking care of yourself and recover. From the many birth stories I've read, you aren't the first and won't be the last woman to experience this. :( Big hugs! >:D<
  • Thank you so much for sharing your birth story with us. I hope it was helpful in your healing process. I appreciate hearing the truth about birth experiences because every single one of them is special. I am so glad you went to the hospital when you did. You followed your motherly instincts, which saved Connor's life. That shows me that you DID NOT fail him one bit. you saved him, Mama! He's beautiful.
  • Aaah, he is beautiful. I am so sorry you went through that traumatic experience. Glad you are healing well (hopefully emotionally too) and he is healthy!

• Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that things did not go as planned but so very happy that you and connor are both doing well!! Congratulations on your beautiful son!!!
  • What a testament to listening to your instincts - so glad everything turned out great and you have a beautiful little boy. Thanks for sharing!
    imageimage
  • I'm sorry you had a rough time but I am so happy your beautiful little boy is here safely. That picture is amazing. Congrats!
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Oh mama. You did an amazing job taking care of that sweet boy.

He's just beautiful.
  • Wow, I teared up reading this.  That must have been terrifying.  I'm so so glad you listened to your instincts and he is doing well.  You are brave, mama!  Thank you for sharing. 
  • I'm sorry to hear about your rough experience. You didn't fail Connor, you saved him by listening to your gut. You are so strong and have a beautiful son!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow, what a story. Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry your birth didn't go as you had hoped, but I'm glad that Connor is doing well now. Please don't feel badly or like you could have helped what happened, you did the best possible thing you could have.
  • I'm so sorry you had such rough experience, and that it wasn't at all what you had planned. Thank you for sharing your story!

Congratulations on the birth of your handsome little guy!
  • MaelaraMaelara member
    edited October 2014
    That sounds so traumatic :( I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. It's normal for the skin around the csection scar to be numb for a very long time. I do hope it goes away soon for you though :) I love the picture, it's gorgeous! Welcome baby Connor!
  • Wolkie said:

@Kehlepop‌ Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're story is a godsend! It really helped me due to the fact they told me today I only have 30% chance of uncomplicated vaginal birth. So a CS is the route now. Whether I wait for labor and then get one anyway. Or schedule one and have it over and done with..

It was real hard for me (and still is) as I too had the plan of med-free vaginal birth. Your story truly inspired me as you had no choice (like me) and you had absolutely NO time to process; I have basically a week to process..

Thank you again! And congratulations on a beautiful baby! Glad he is happy and healthy!

Edit: fixed spelling

I'm so glad! I was really worried about posting because I didn't want to scare anyone.

Up until that day, my OB and I had no reason to think I couldn't have a medication free birth. I really had no prior signs other than lack of movement, everything happened so fast I didn't have time to mourn the loss of my birth plan until much later. It's doing whatever is best for you and your baby, I know that now. Once you're holding your baby in your arms, everything else becomes so much less important.
  • I'm so sorry you didn't have the experience you had hoped for, but so grateful you trusted your instincts and went in. Your honesty could be very helpful to those of us still with inside babies, so thank you for sharing. Connor is adorable - glad he's doing well!!
  • Thank you for sharing your story with us. You didn't fail him at all, you saved him by following your instincts. I am sorry that your birth didn't go as planned but Connor is here and doing amazing.
    Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • I am so glad you are both okay! But holy cow it sucks that it was such a rough experience for you and so far from what anyone wants to have happen. I hope those close to you will help support you in dealing with how scary and difficult it was for you. Big hugs and congrats on getting your LO safely here.
  • Thank you so much for sharing. I understand the idea of not wanting to scare anyone, but what I think is scariest is the unknown. Not every labor is the type that you brag about online or something, but with social media lots of women feel the pressure to post their perfect picture after birth with their little family. When chose to write your birth story you honored each woman on the board, and dignified your experience as well.

My mil felt her c section with her second child, and still when she occasionally talks about it you can see the trauma in her eyes, so you're not alone! She went on to have 2 more sections and everything went fine. I'm glad Connor is doing well and pray you'll continue to heal from everything. Again, thank you for sharing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"