Nurseries and Baby Gear

Are changing tables necessary?

What are your thoughts on changing tables? And if you're going to get one is it better to get the changer + crib combo? (26w and in the process of prepping the nursery)

Re: Are changing tables necessary?

• I don't think you need an actual changing table to use as a changer, but having something elevated is def a good idea. Both with our first and this baby we went with a dresser (for added storage) and put the pad on top. I have seen a lot of people here say 'oh just change them on the floor'. To me personally that's not so practical. I'm 5'9, hubby is 6'4 and honestly I can't imagine having to squat down or sit on the floor every time to change. That would be a real pain. Literally. Plus both mine will end up being csections and sitting down on the floor after that was not so easy or pleasant, so I can't imagine having to do it so many times every day. Even now MH prefers to plop my almost 3yo on the changer to get her dressed so he doesn't have to stoop down.
  • Oh and about combos - this is a personal preferrence I think. To me personally they seem too big and bulky. Also not sure how that converts, and we wanted a convertible crib. But I'm sure they work for some people
  • Loading the player...
  • We also went with a changing pad on top of a dresser. An actual changing table seems like an unnecessary extra piece of furniture. Personally I think the crib/changer combos are ugly and awkward looking.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • We didn't have a changing table or pad for DS and are skipping it again this time. We just throw down a towel or receiving blanket and change baby whereever: floor, pack n play, couch, bed.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have a combo crib and changer and 99% of DS's diaper changes at home have been on the changing table. I hate changing him on the floor - too easy for a squirmy, active kid to get up and roll, crawl, or walk away, and it's murder on my knees and back, let alone for my 63-year-old mother (who watches him during the day). Our crib is a convertible, and in fact we took the front rail off last week to turn it into a toddler bed. We didn't have room for a separate dresser or changing table but needed a dedicated changing station of some sort with some storage. It's worked great for us.
  • I got a stand alone changer for free from a work friend.  I'm so glad I had it.  I liked the extra storage and I have a hutch on DS's dresser - a change pad on top of that would not have been a good scene.  I likely wouldn't have bought it on my own though as you can make other things work. 

I didn't like the idea of crib/changer combos because I thought it amounted to extra climbing footholds and would make things easier for DS to escape.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it just didn't sit well with me.  

If you have the room and the budget, I would do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I could not live without something elevated. We use a changing table, but a pad on top of a dresser would also work. We use this daily and my DD is 17 months. I know a lot of people go without them, though.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Got this from Ikea. Perfect height and it's got a ton of uses.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Changing pad on top of a dresser for us, too. We really prefer to having him elevated for changing and getting dressed. We use it multiple times a day still at 18 months. I would have hated having to get in the floor to change him all the time!
  • @dogperson11‌ thanks for sharing that pic! I have the same ikea shelving unit. Currently used as part of our desk in the office, which will turn into a nursery next year. May just need to buy a changing pad. Whew! Love it!
  • We use a dresser with a change pad on it. I'm 5'9 and my DH is 6'2 so we needed something higher than the bed and or the floor to change our DD.
    With the amount of changing we have done in the past month, I'm so glad we have the pad on the dresser! Our backs appreciate it!
    We also went that route since our DD's room is small and I couldn't justify spending extra money on a change table.
  • This is all very helpful! I think we're probably going to go with a changing pad on top of the dresser... seems more practical for our space. Thanks again for the feedback :-)
  • We use a changing pad on top of an IKEA dresser in her bedroom. For downstairs we use the changing table thing that is connected to the Graco pack n play. It's super handy. 
  • i say yes! b/c it really is convenient to have a consistent area to change the baby & store the diapers, wipes, etc.... but really that's all you need - an area.. so it's your call.
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did not use a changing station and will not get one this time. I just need a good Diaper Caddy and will change baby on my bed
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"