Babies: 3 - 6 Months

car seat hating (new update 2 nov in the post)

NADA-HNADA-H member
edited November 2014 in Babies: 3 - 6 Months
so I've posted before on the 0-3 forum about my baby who absolutely hates her car seat and is now starting to cry when I start lowering her in her case seat. (she would sit in that car seat just fine when it's attached to her stroller and we are walking around) she is 3 months 10 days now.

I tried white noise, kids music, adults music, static, hanging her favorite soft toys that make sounds from the car seat handle, paci, you name it, nothing has worked and she cries the entire trip to anywhere. When we are riding with my husband, I get in the backseat with her and she would either take a bottle or if she isn't hungry I'll entertain her till we get there and she wouldn't cry. But when I drop her and pick her up from nursery it's a nightmare, I try so hard to focus on the road because my heart about shatters every time we are on the road because she starts crying normally and then escalates to shrieking. Yes I checked the straps, there is nothing physically hurting her in there and she doesn't have reflux.

I just noticed one thing lately, when I pick her up her back is so sweaty and yesterday I even noticed a heat/sweat like rash on her back, I cleaned her up and put some baby powder on it, similar to the one she got in the fold of her neck from drooling so much. She was wearing a cotton short sleeve bodysuit with leggings, no jacket, no double layered stuff just one layer. The AC was on and it's actually cooler now than it was before here.

What do I do to prevent her from overheating in her car seat, and could that be what's making her cry? 

if it isn't...what can I do to make her stop crying in the car I keep praying not to get into an accident from hearing my baby constantly cry at the top of her lungs?

I know this might sound stupid but will she hate me? or feel insecure from being left to cry for so long (over an hour if we are stuck in bad traffic but she will be sleeping and crying on and off) I normally don't leave DC to go to work until she gives me a few smiles and she is usually fine once I get her out of the car but the last two days she wouldn't smile at me and kept turning her head away when I tried to make her smile...is this in my head?

and how do I treat such a heat/sweat rash...is cleaning her up and putting powder on enough? do I use her diaper rash zinc oxide cream?
-------------------- New Update! -------------------- Our neighbors bought our baby a fabric keyboard that plays music and notes and animal sounds when touched with a little shatter proof mirror in it and lights and it can be tied to the crib or plaid on while on the floor. I tried putting it in her lap today and pressed it a few times before driving off and it kept her tears free! (I tied it to the seatbelt so it doesnt fly away in the car) Kept turning back to press it at traffic lights and eventually she kicked it off her lap up against the back of the seat and she liked the fact that the back was bright green and kept kicking it (on the way back i will tie it upright to the back of the seat so she can foot click it. No tears! No screaming, she started fussing right around the corner from DC, i guess thats when she had lost interest in the plain bright green back of the keyboard so i will make sure it stays still. But i'm loving the fact that i didnt feel horrible all the way to DC today or that i would crash into something and that she wasnt miserable and i didnt have to listen to Bingo was his namo or white noise on the speakers at deafening levels and was able to listen to the radio, not that anything good was on anyway but Hey! The score is Mama 1- Baby troubles 0 in my score book for today!!!!
imageimage
God Bless You my Little One
Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
Farida, at 8 weeks

Re: car seat hating (new update 2 nov in the post)

• My DD was the same way she hated the infant car seat and would  screan and bang her head on the side of it and was sooooo sweaty but she is a big girl 18lbs at 3.5 months so we just upgraded her to the convertible car seat and that stopped the crying right away.I don't know if it because she is higher up and it helps her reflux or because she can see out the window or because its bigger so she isn't crammed in there and air can flow now so she doesn't get as hot I have no clue but it really helped me to upgrade her car seat.Good luck :)
  • when my little one gets fussy in the back seat i actually just open up her window a little bit and it seems to calm her down right away...i think she also gets a little warm or else she just likes the noise since it sounds just like her white noise machine in her room:)  I might upgrade her to a convertible carseat in the next few months since she is getting to heavy to carry her in the carseat and most of the time i leave the seat in the car and carry her or put her in a stroller. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My child also hates his car seat. He has gotten much better in the last month or so though. First of all, did you remove the newborn insert (if yours has one)? That helped. I didn't realize it was supposed to come out after they reached a certain weight. Also, we bought a baby Einstein mirror that plays music and attaches to the back seat. He loves it! I can't wait to switch him into a convertible seat though, I think that will be the ultimate fix!
  • cookieinvacookieinva member
    edited October 2014
    As others said, have you considered moving to a convertible carseat? That is the next step, carseat-wise, and you can even use them for newborns; there is no need for the bucket-style seats, those are just used for convenience. Ours is for rear-facing from 5-40lbs, then forward facing up to 70 lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use the bucket size because it clicks onto her stroller and we dont end up using the original huge stroller seat so its part of a travel system. I didnt think that a convertible would make a differencr but i might end up trying it.

I did remove the insert And tried laying her soft cotton blanket over the seat before i put her in and it didnt work

@Ybba0714‌ do they have these mirrors at babies r us?
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • You definitely can't put a blanket in the seat before putting her in.  Some kids are just sweaty and the more worked up they get, the sweatier they get.  There's a thing called a Noggle that you connect to your AC to get air flow back to them that's safe to use.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• roundthree24roundthree24 member
    edited October 2014
    My baby is the same way. We had a problem with overheating in his car seat during the summer (despite cranking the AC)...10 minutes before we left I would put some ice packs in his seat to get it nice and cool. Helped a lot. We have a Brica light up mirror that has a remote on it so when he starts to fuss I can turn it on and it will distract him a bit. Not foolproof but it helps. Also, I keep a stash of small soft toys in the front seat with me and if he gets really upset I'll chuck one back to him at a stoplight and he loves it. Once all of that ammunition is spent I'll start singing Old McDonald with lots of animated voices and that will keep him interested for another 10 minutes or so. I think he just gets bored.

Edited to add: when you start singing, do it really loud and suddenly and it will startle the baby enough to quit fussing and listen to you, and then they forget they were fussing. Or at least that's the case for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Idk, I got mine at Target. And for some reason it is way cheaper if you order it at Target.com than if you buy it in the store...at least it was when I bought it two months ago. https://www.target.com/p/baby-einstein-music-and-discovery-travel-mirror/-/A-13951115
  • KewiiKewii member
    edited November 2014
    Hey nada

The heat thing was an issue for us too. We had to get a noggle to cool her down. It's so hot in the Middle East that rear facing is pretty unbearable otherwise most of the time.
    We had to order ours from Amazon and get it forwarded from my husbands PO box. You could also try making your own if you're handy like that.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• @Kewii thanks a lot, I will look them up on Amazon, my uncle has his address in NY that we ship to and then via ARAMEX to Doha so that isn't a problem....I'm so not the handy type
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • update

apologies for the update in the post, I wrote it up on my phone and it showed spaces between paragraphs but for some reason it's all one block when am looking at it now on my computer. here is the update again

Our neighbors bought our baby a fabric keyboard that plays music and notes and animal sounds when touched with a little shatter proof mirror in it and lights and it can be tied to the crib or plaid on while on the floor. I tried putting it in her lap today and pressed it a few times before driving off and it kept her tears free! (I tied it to the seatbelt so it doesnt fly away in the car) Kept turning back to press it at traffic lights and eventually she kicked it off her lap up against the back of the seat and she liked the fact that the back was bright green and kept kicking it (on the way back i will tie it upright to the back of the seat so she can foot click it. 

No tears! No screaming, she started fussing right around the corner from DC, i guess thats when she had lost interest in the plain bright green back of the keyboard so i will make sure it stays still. But i'm loving the fact that i didnt feel horrible all the way to DC today or that i would crash into something and that she wasnt miserable and i didnt have to listen to Bingo was his namo or white noise on the speakers at deafening levels and was able to listen to the radio, not that anything good was on anyway but Hey! The score is Mama 1- Baby troubles 0 in my score book for today!!!!
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"