February 2014 Moms

Transitioning to formula and questions on the return of AF

hopefuldoghopefuldog member
edited October 2014 in February 2014 Moms
Hi ladies! :-h

I am in the process of quitting BFing with the hopes that we can TTC again. AF has still not return even though I have drastically cut back on BFing and introduced 1-2 bottles of formula as well as food 2 months ago.

LO will likely be on 100% formula by the end of Nov. Can you all point me in the direction of tips on FFing or share any of your own? LO has been taking 5oz bottles of BM every 3 hours. Will we do the same for FF? How far in advance can we make up bottles?

Also, short of taking my temp and OPKs, etc, have any of you who's AF return had any clue/signs when it was coming back?

Thank you! I've been lurking but busy with baby and not very active lately (not that I was ever a regular!).

Re: Transitioning to formula and questions on the return of AF

• We transitioned from BF/pumped BM to FF between 6 and 8 months. Just follow LO's clues. As for AF, I also wouldn't stress about that and be warned that hormones and OPKs may not be as reliable at first. I got pregnant with DS when DD was 8-9 months old and had gotten a positive OPK and didn't actually ovulate then. I actually ovulated a couple weeks later and that's when I got pregnant. We were planning to try soon anyway so it was happy news, but just be warned that things may be a little off at first.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Awesome! Thanks for the info ladies!

Can you believe I actually want AF to return?! It took us a little while to conceive this LO so we want to get a jump on things.

I'm sad to totally give up BFing but it's what will work for us, and cutting down hasn't done the trick yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • anji1820 said:

We transitioned from EBF to FF about 2 months ago. As far as FF goes, I have found it easiest to make a pitcher every morning for the day (Dr. Brown pitcher is awesome) and fill bottles then (1 for when she wakes up, 4 for daycare, 1 for bedtime). They have to be used within 24 hours so I make exactly enough for the day. Right now my LO usually drinks about 24oz per day and has 2 meals of solids. I think frequency and size of bottles varies- my LO only ever takes about 4 oz at a time so she takes more bottles than a baby who might drink 6 oz at a time.!

This is exactly how LO eats, we just transitioned recently. I have an iud so I don't know when or if AF will come back.. Anybody know?

BFP #1 11/01/12 M/C 12/22/12 @11w4d

BFP #2 06/04/13 DS born 02/08/14

• After DD I had an IUD and was EBF. I got my first PP AF after about 10 months after we went on vacation and the 3 hour time change messed with her schedule and we went longer than normal between feedings. Everyone is different though. Some have to completely stop breastfeeding before AF comes back. Depending on how long you want to wait you could reduce to BF a couple of times a day and see what happens. It's probably going to take a few weeks no matter what you do though.
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"