Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Second time PGAL and measuring small

Hi ladies! I hope its okay to post this here, I could really use the advice of those who have possibly been here before, and who understand what PGAL brain does to you.

I was here in 2012/13 when pregnant with my rainbow. She arrived safe and sound in August of 2013.

I got my current BFP on September 25th - just a squinter. I guessed I ovulated around September 15, just based on O pains. I usually get a squinter around 7 DPO though, so my dates were probably a little off.

I went in for my first ultrasound on Tuesday the 21st. The sonographer did an abdominal first and the baby and heartbeat were visible, but she reluctantly said shed probably have to do transvaginal to see anything more. I was so relieved to see a heartbeat but that turned sour quickly when she said that what she saw was between 5,5-6 weeks. I knew immediately that was bad because I should have been between 6.5-7 weeks.

She went in transvaginally but seemed to struggle. She didn't get a good photo on the zoom and it took her 4 tries to measure the heartbeat (although it was clearly visible and she got 115 when she did). She took one measurement of the blurry baby, said "see you are 6 weeks!" and that was it. When I tried to argue with her, she just told me shed feel better doing an abdominal ultrasound in 2 weeks.

So, here I sit, and PGAL brain is in full effect. The heartbeat is good for 6 weeks, the uterus looks good, everything is fine, but I know my dates. If I were 6w I would have gotten my BFP at 4 DPO. And I know that's not possible.

There isn't much I can do for the next 2 weeks, but Im a mess. Im paralyzed with fear and my husband is worried because I am absolutely depressed. I don't leave our house if I can help it and I feel like Im just waiting for another loss to start.

My only glimmer of hope is that if she is off by a few days, and Im off by a few days, that would set me right at 6w3-4d and that would work out fine. But I feel like she dismissed my concerns and she didn't really understand why I had them.

I wish I could go back to my old doctor, who was wonderful about this, but my husband is in school right now and we are with him for the next 3 months :(

I guess my question is, good or bad, did anyone measure a bit off at the first ultrasound? Even if its not good news I feel like I should prep myself.

Thank you for reading this. I really don't know where else to say this or talk about it where people can understand. This got long, so cookies and milkshakes to all.

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Second time PGAL and measuring small

• Options
    @chicagojackie said it very well. 

Sending you ((( hugs ))) and good thoughts for reassurance at your appointment in 2 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's actually rare to see a heartbeat as early as six weeks, most times they won't fine it until closer to six weeks, three or later. Embrace the fact you have that heartbeat and focus on being healthy and loving your LO. Today your pregnant!!
        BFP: 2/24/14 | EDD: 10/22/14 (triplets) 
    US (with RE) 3/24/2014 (two healthy HB), US (with OB) 3/31/2014 (three healthy heartbeats)

US (with RE) 4/7/14 No Heartbeats :(  | D&C 4/8/14
    BFP#2: 10/22/14 | (beta  #1 75, beta # 2 219) | EDD 7/3/15 ~*Please be our RAINBOW*~
    DX: MTHFR hetero C677T

• Options
    Thank you ladies, thank you so much. I feel like Im losing my head, and I just need to keep calm and be able to function. I appreciate you letting me put this here - maybe getting it out of my head will help me feel better.

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I totally agree with what PPs have said. I also wanted to add that I get O pains, and they almost never correspond with the exact date of ovulation. Often I'll get them even after O has been confirmed, and for the first few days of my 2ww. So I wouldn't worry too much about your exact DPO. Factor that in, plus the imprecise nature of early u/s measurements, and that could easily explain the date discrepancy. Fingers crossed for you that all is well!
    DX: I'm a Recurrent Loser
    Me (35) + DH (37) - Married Sept. 2007
    BFP #1 - DS born 7/11/11
    BFP#2 11/13/13 - EDD 7/29/14 - M/C at 5w3d
    BFP #3 12/28/13 - EDD 9/7/14 - M/C at 4w6d
    BFP#4 3/27/14 -  EDD 12/5/14 - Girl lost to 45X at 8w6d - D&C 
    BFP#5 10/15/14 - EDD 6/30/15 - M/C at 7w2d
    BFP #6 1/5/15 - EDD 9.16.14 [CLICKY for progress]
    In search of a image

• Options
    PP's have covered everything. But I've been where you are and I know it sucks! Hold on to the fact that  you saw a heartbeat and your dates may be wrong. ((hugs)) fx that the next 2 weeks fly by!
  • Options
    Big ((HUGS)) to you!  My RE always said that early ultrasounds could easily be +/- 5 days.  I hope you find some comfort and support here as you await your next scan!
  • Options
    I am pretty sure that u/s can be off by up to 7 days either way.  PgAL brain is so horrible and I completely understand why you're feeling the way you are.  Like PP have said, try to take comfort in seeing baby's heartbeat.  Thinking of you!
  • Options
    Oh I'm right there with you. I was doing ok until I ran into my OB this AM (I work at the hospital). Now I'm doubting everything and wishing the next 2.5 weeks goes quickly so I can know for sure one way or the other!

PGAL brain sucks so bad and sometimes I just want to yell at it to QUIET DOWN! But, the support here helps- reminds us that we are normal, not crazy! Congrats on seeing the heartbeat!!

Me (34) MH (37)
    Married 10/12/02
    DS 06/21/06
    MMC 06/07
    DS 07/31/09
    MC 12/10
    MMC 02/14 ; D&C 02/14/14
    MC (CP?) 07/14
  • Options
    teedaaleeteedaalee member
    edited October 2014

Aww, momma I hope your next appointment goes well and brings further clarity to you. Until then maybe consider doing things to keep your mind from entertaining that fear? Going on a date with your husband or having a girls night are always good options. Hang in there.

teedaalee0712

• Options
    Waiting is so hard, I know, and there's no way around it. I'm so sorry this is so stressful for you right now. For what one anecdote is worth, I am now 24 weeks pregnant with no issues, and when I had my first ultrasound at 6+ weeks, she was measuring about 5 days behind. I think there are any number of ways it can happen. A heartbeat is such a good sign. Positive thoughts to you and your little one.
  • Options
    A heartbeat is a great sign!  I'm sorry that there is so much confusion going on right now but today you are pregnant and you love your baby.  FX for a great follow up u/s in 2 weeks!
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    As PPs have said, early ultrasounds can be off by a few days for sure. Regardless, I know that paralyzing feeling it causes while you are waiting for the next scan. ((hugs)) as you go through these next days/weeks.
    PCOS & ute crew member
    BFP #1: 10/24/2012  EDD 7/3/13, missed m/c @ 9 weeks, D&E 
    DX: Septate Uterus. Septum resection 6/4/13
    BFP #2: 12/20/2013  EDD 9/1/14, missed m/c @ 7weeks, D&E
    BFP #3: 5/26/2014 EDD 2/7/15, missed m/c @ 9 weeks, D&E- DX Trisomy22
    RPL, Karyotyping, and SHG: All Normal
    BFP #4: 9/6/14 EDD 5/16/15 Praying for our RAINBOW!
    Baby GIRL on the way!!
    **All AL Welcome**

• Options
    Sending hugs!! Waiting totally sucks. I hope that you get better news on your next appointment. A heartbeat on your first appointment is a huge deal.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    As PP have said, those early measurements have a lot of error in them. Sending you lots of positive thoughts for your next ultrasound! ((hugs))
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"