December 2012 Moms

Are we nuts?

So, we've been on a waiting list for a while with a dog breeder for a goldendoodle. They called yesterday that they'll have puppies ready to go home in December. Not the timing I was planning, but...

We know that they're a lot of work, but we both grew up with dogs and know about that.

I mentioned it in passing to my mom, and she was not shy about telling me it's the dumbest idea she's ever heard. Like 2 pg email about it.

So, particularly those of you that have dogs, are we nuts for thinking about it?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Are we nuts?

• We almost did the same thing about the time DD was born. In hindsight I am so glad we didn't. For me, I just didn't think it was fair to the dog, for whom we would have very little time. We decided to wait a few years. I will say, I do love Goldendoodles though. My brother and SIL had one and she was great with their kids.
  • I would wait. Our poor dog is calm and older and still not getting the attention she deserves. I can't imagine adding a new puppy to the mix.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I don't have any personal experience, but I will add that my brother and SIL got a dachshund right before she found out she was expecting. The they got a second one. They kept the dogs through baby #1, but as soon as baby #2 showed up, it became too much to handle. That, and it was a little too much for the toddler who was always poking at them. Nothing horrible happened - they just didn't want to take the chance. Fortunately the dogs are living with a family member now.
    We'd love to get a dog, but I'm firm in my stance that it needs to happen when LO is old enough to appreciate it and help take on some of the responsibility. I think it's an awesome learning experience for kids, and one I hope we can give LO someday. 
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Here's my take, I would say it would depend on how much time you and your DH are willing to put into the training and upkeep of a puppy.  If you know you will have time and don't mind then go for it! 

I would love a dog, but we have 2 cats so when they die I will consider getting a dog for the family.  My sister and my parents each have dogs and Morgan loves them!  So I see a dog in our future.

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• I have 2 dogs. One was 3 when my daughter was born. The other I got about 3 weeks before I found out I was pregnant and she was 8wks old. To be honest I find it quite stressful to handle both dogs and a toddler. I have contemplated finding them a new home, but can't bring myself to let them go. Overall, I feel like they are a part of my family, they have a decent "relationship" with my daughter, and serve as my alarm before my home alarm. I can say the one thing that bothers me the most is that my daughter is still learning where her things go. This means that if she has a toy or something on the floor, and we're not aware of it, the "puppy" may get it and chew it up. Grrr...super frustrating! Good luck with your decision.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers

BFP#1:MC 8/20/2010| BFP#2:MC 7/9/2011| BFP#3:DD born 12/14/2012

• I wouldn't go as far as to say your crazy :-)  But it would be a lot to take on right now.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"