January 2013 Moms
Options

Always getting sick

My poor girl has a horrible cold and was sent home from DC today with pink eye. She's had HFM twice and seems to come down with a virus every month or so that causes her to stay home. My job is not a great one for staying home last minute and my husband is in law school so when he stays home he is missing class or study time. We absolutely love this DC, but I hate that she gets sick so often and missing work/school is very stressful. I'm starting to wonder if in-home daycare or a nanny would be better in some ways, at least as far as sickness and missing work. Anybody use one of these options and want to chime in about your experience?

Re: Always getting sick

• Options

How long has she been there? I've heard up to the first 12 months can be really hard with illnesses, especially for only children. T had a nanny for just about a year and only got sick once or twice; however, he started daycare last February and was sick constantly. He had 5 ear infections in a row due to colds and had to get tubes. When we switched to his current day care, a few strains of HFM went around and he got it 3 TIMES. It was NOT a fun few months (like Feb-July, I think). Since then, though, he's had a few little things but it seems to be getting better. I think the rule of thumb is they build up immunities around 6 months after being there but for some it's longer. And of course they will sometimes just catch things. After a few good months T caught the tummy bug going around last week but it luckily only lasted a few days (2-3). If you plan to have her in public school, my advice is to try your best to work with her getting sick now. Can you hire a back-up sitter off of care.com? Even if it's just for a few hours when she's sick, there are many people willing to do it.

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    This made me feel a bit better about how often B seems to catch a cold. Hope everyone feels better ASAP!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    J had colds about every 2 months and ear infections about every other cold the first year he was in d/c. At 16 months old he got tube and has only had one cold since. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    DD has been at this daycare since she was 3 months old, so a year and a half now, though a lot of the sickness started when she moved to the toddler room.

I have pink eye too now, and since I'm pregnant it's taking awhile to find an antibiotic I can take. I'm so frustrated because I can't go back to work until I've been on the meds 24 hours, and I can't start taking them until the OB calls back. Just stuck here waiting...

• Options
    This part of parenting is SO HARD.  We had a ton of illness last year with DC and have now switched to an even bigger in-home with numerous kids having older siblings in school so I am DREADING sick-season.  DD has tubes now but that doesn't help the snot, fever, stomach bugs, etc that this could bring.  Every time I think we have a handle on things she gets something, I swear!  :)  I wish I could have fed her breast milk until she went to kindergarten. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

The first 15 months in DC were really tough. DS was sick constantly. He'd be sick for a month then well for no more than 3 weeks. He has allergies though. Once we got a handle on the allergies and found a good treatment he's been so much better. He's only been sick a few times since April.

Also, pink eye is usually viral, not bacterial so you don't need antibiotics.  DS had pinkeye when we saw an ENT and he told me it was most likely viral (I took DS back to the pedi the next day and they tested his eye, sure enough it was viral. I immediately took him off the antibiotics). It's pretty uncommon to have bacterial pinkeye.

• Options
    @jjdillie‌ how did they test his eye?

• Options
    @Sep5Bride they swabbed his eye. He didn't like that at all. It took over a week to clear up. My mom also got it and she didn't take anything for it. I think hers cleared up after about 1 week. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"