July 2013 Moms
Options

DC Ladies

Since there is already talk of travel, anyone want to be my DC Tourism Expert? We'll be going for Thanksgiving to be with DH's family. 

1) We're renting a house with BIL and his fam near SIL's house in Capitol Hill area. Any kid friendly restaurants or coffee shop recs in the area? SIL and her husband are CFBC, plus he is a HUGE foodie, so they won't have any experience in this department. There will be 4 little kids. 

2) I'm looking for a nice place for afternoon tea. I've done the Madison Hotel and the Willard. Not sure if I want to do another hotel tea or something else. SIL has sent me tea from Teaism before and I see that they have a tea room. Anyone tried that? Any other recs?

3) I've never been to DC in the fall, any must see/do autumn activities? We're doing this whole trip w/o car seats so it would have to be accessible via public transport.

Thanks!
Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: DC Ladies

• Options
    I'll give this some thought and send a private message later today :)
    K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
  • Options
    There's a lovely cafe right down the street from me.

Only 1.5 hours or possibly a little less from DC ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stina2012Stina2012 member
    edited October 2014
    @econmama has you covered!

I would also recommend Union Market which may not be right on The Hill, but is definitely kid friendly and fun! https://unionmarketdc.com/

I think you will love Eastern Market which will be brimming with art and antiques that I think are right up your alley. There are so many great restaurants around Eastern Market, you can't go wrong. I'm a fan of Tunnicliff's. https://www.yelp.com/biz/tunnicliffs-tavern-washington

I believe there's a children's museum on The Hill, but @econmama can confirm or deny.

I personally would not do tea at Teaism, it is WAY too corporate (think Sbux). There is an excellent tea house in Georgetown (also a cool place to walk around and shop, but most shops are more corporate). It's called Ching Ching Cha. https://www.chingchingcha.com/

Enjoy your visit!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh lots of fun ideas for me too.
    ;) I haven't been in DC since having a child.
  • Options
    We were just talking about planning a future trip to DC.  I am copying/pasting some of these into a doc for me to save!  Great suggestions/tips! 
  • Options
    Seconding the Ching-Ching-Cha rec for tea, and if the weather's nice, wander around Georgetown and take the littles to Thomas Sweet for ice cream (get the bittersweet chocolate, seriously). There are also a couple of playgrounds in and around the area if they need a break to run around. Be aware that Georgetown is lovely, but you need to take the bus to get there - there is not a metro stop.

Seconding all of @econmama's notes re: the metro; also google the Circulator bus - it's the simplest (and cheapest) way to get from Dupont to Georgetown or from Union Station to Georgetown - each ride is $1.
  • Options

A few other restaurants I’d recommend:

Matchbox, Ice Cream Jubilee, Blue Jacket Brewery, and Cava Mezze.  We also really like Ted's Bulletin, 7th Hill Pizza, and Good Stuff Eatery/We the Pizza.

Museums:

I’d also recommend that the Botanical Gardens, the Building Museum, and the Museum of Natural History as all being very child friendly (and free and fun).

If the weather is nice, the National Arboretum is nice for walking.  Walking around Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria is also very nice. 

K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
  • Options
    econmama said:
    Oh and Georgetown Cupcakes are not worth the wait.
    TRUTH.
  • Options
    econmama said:
    Oh and Georgetown Cupcakes are not worth the wait.
    Baked and Wired is WAYYYYYYY better. They are also in Georgetown.
  • Options
    I'm totally keeping this thread for our trip next spring.  :-bd

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies!! We have done several of the museums last time we were there (for the centennial of the Cherry Blossom Festival) Building, Air n Space, Native American, although we didn't make it up to that kids' section. I'll have to check that out for sure! Actually I think we only went into that museum because SIL recommended to food court there.

She lives very close to Eastern Market, but I have never gone in any of the times we've been there. I appreciate the restaurant recs. Last time we picked an Italian restaurant in walking distance of her place and we asked if the boys could come in with us, and they said yes, but they were the only kids in there and did not have good behavior. I would like to NOT repeat that experience! lol.

Now I'm getting all excited! I've been slightly dreading it because it will be the 1st time I've seen MIL since 2011. ::fingers crossed she stays on her meds!::
    Married 9-4-04

• Options
    econmama said:
     The zoo is also great, and free. The zoo is on the Red Line between Cleveland Park and Woodley Park. That whole area is a giant hill, so it's easier to go past the zoo and get off at Cleveland park. That way you're walking down the hill. Then continue down and get back on the train at Woodley park. 
    Can I just say how much I needed this tidbit last time we were in DC? That hill! Holy smokes, the boys were wiped before we even got to the zoo!
    Married 9-4-04

• Options
    martyn17 said: I’d also recommend that the Botanical Gardens, the Building Museum, and the Museum of Natural History as all being very child friendly (and free and fun).
    If the weather is nice, the National Arboretum is nice for walking.  Walking around Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria is also very nice. 

I haven't done that yet in DC. How is the leaf change in DC? Have they mostly all fallen by Thanksgiving? And how cold is it
    really then? One time I was in DC for NYE and it was frickin' freezing; not sure if it gets that cold by late Nov or not. I'll obviously pack winter coats for everyone, but I may need to mentally prepare myself in advance. 
    Married 9-4-04

• Options
    econmama said:

Umm. Who is @mrsbullwinkle‌? She just liked my post.

Weird.
  • Options
    econmama said:
    @queenbone Leaves are changing now so they'll be gone by Thanksgiving. Weather will be tough to predict. It could be 65 or 35.
    SIL just messaged me that she booked an outdoor family photo shoot at a nearby park. This is sure to end poorly if it is 35 degrees!
    Married 9-4-04

• Options
    queenbone said:
    martyn17 said:

I’d also recommend that the Botanical Gardens, the Building Museum, and the Museum of Natural History as all being very child friendly (and free and fun).

I haven't done that yet in DC. How is the leaf change in DC? Have they mostly all fallen by Thanksgiving? And how cold is it really then? One time I was in DC for NYE and it was frickin' freezing; not sure if it gets that cold by late Nov or not. I'll obviously pack winter coats for everyone, but I may need to mentally prepare myself in advance. 
    The Arboretum is more of a typical botanical garden. The Botanical Garden is actually all inside and it's right next to the Capital Building. It's a great place to warm up and it's free.
  • Options
    Byjove03 said:
    Oh Oh, I will add for a quirky tea, check out the Mansion at O Street! It's a hotel as well, but you can go through all the rooms and they are all decorated really neat. There is a scavenger hunt of sorts. Teaism is more just a small tea shop/restaurant.
    @byjove03 I just called them and they have a 15 person minimum, and I'm a few people short. Sadness! That place looks really awesome, thanks for the rec!

Married 9-4-04

• Options
    I'm totally keeping this thread for our trip next spring.  :-bd
    yup. bookmarked.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board