September 2014 Moms
Options

First Holidays! How are you dishong

The holidays are coming up. How are you doing things this year? It's the hot topic between DH & I and I don't want to be gone for all of them
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: First Holidays! How are you dishong

• Options
    We are traveling for Christmas, but staying for Thanksgiving at our house. We live out of state, so we are never forced to travel for both.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We're going to my Dad's for Thanksgiving. They live 15 minutes away and it will be great to not stress about cooking and cleaning!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    All of our family lives fairly close my mom lives the farthest only 30 minutes. We usually go to her house for thanksgiving and Christmas but she's separated from her husband so I'm not sure, we may do it at my house, it's kind of small so we may be cramped. We do Christmas Eve at DH's grandparents house and do Christmas at his sisters house.
  • Options
    We always spend Thanksgiving home (both are families are about 800miles away) and rotate Christmas. This year we're doing almost two full weeks in NY with my family. LO is going to be so very spoiled

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Since DD was born, we've refused to travel on Christmas Day. I want our girls to remember Christmas morning at home, not in the car visiting either of our families. Last year, my family came to see us - They'd be welcome again.

We're not sure about Thanksgiving. We've been invited to my uncles's, so we'll probably go there.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    The in laws live ten minutes away from us, and my parents live an hour away. We usually do both since they are so close together. Thanksgiving at both, Christmas Eve at in laws, and Christmas Day with my family. We have a BIG family so my kids will be spoiled too. That's why we don't get them much. They end up with so much already. :-)
  • Options
    We do Thanksgiving at our house usually, with the IL's. The weekend before Christmas we go to my parents and celebrate since they are 3 hours away. Christmas morning we wake up at our house and do our thing. Then in the afternoon we travel to IL's (1 hour) and celebrate that night.

• Options
    wieb67wieb67 member
    edited October 2014
    We are heading to the in laws condo in Florida for Thanksgiving - baby's
    first plane ride! Then we will celebrate Christmas Eve with my family and Christmas Day with the in laws.
  • Options
    My parents are coming up from sac, my aunt and uncle down from the dales and ive been told I gotta be there
  • Options
    We have 2-3 of everything every year. It's chaos and I enjoy seeing everyone and it stresses me out all at the same time.

Thanksgiving: early dinner/late lunch at my aunt and uncles. Normal dinner time usually at my mil's. Then home to nap before shopping!!

Christmas: Eve starts with finger foods and appetizers at mil's. Then to my family's for gift exchange game and snacks/desserts/drinks and more games. Day: morning at home with kids then about 10 we go to my parents for gifts and early afternoon dinner there or my grandparents.

Someday when I have a bigger place or kids that help with household chores, we will probably just let them stop by whenever and quit the running around.
  • Options
    I'm a nurse a hospital. Sooo...people want me there even on holidays! Lol I'll be off for thanksgiving. And we might be going to my uncles, I'm not sure, or my moms. I'm off Christmas Eve and work Christmas Day. I don't know what my schedule looks like around that though.
    We have 3 sets of families to see, and a HUGE family all nearby! And that's insane!! That's no fun for us or the girls. I want Christmas and holidays to be fun for them, not stressful. Last year my parents and siblings got a cabin nearby and we all went there and just relaxed. It was nice. DH wants to do that again.
  • Options
    we are headed back to PA for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's a 6-8 hour drive depending on traffic but I don't want me kids to miss out on their family time.  We are both from the same town so when we travel to PA we get to see everyone.  It's stressful but my daughter adores our extended family and my sisters haven't even met my son.  It's what we do.  
  • Options
    We will be traveling everywhere. We do DH's parents and my grandma's for thanksgiving. Christmas is ridiculous because my parents are divorced. We do Christmas Eve at my paternal grandma's then Christmas Day with DH's parents. We also go to my maternal grandma's as well. Now this year we will have our own little Christmas with DD and hoping to get some time with just my mom and stepdad. It's a circus.
  • Options
    Well I meant to put dishing them but LO was wiggling around so there it is
  • Options
    My parents will be coming in from out of state for Thanksgiving. Christmas Eve will just be us here and Christmas Day we might travel across the state to DH's family.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Both our families live near by which makes the visiting easier. We will probably visit my IL on Tday for the meal & my folks for dessert. Haven't quite figured out Xmas yet but we are working on it.
  • Options
    We host both at our house. Dh has a massive family so Christmas eve is with them all at his grandmothers house and Christmas day is at our house with just the inlaws.
  • Options
    Things really aren't changing from previous years. MIL will do Thanksgiving at her house. There will probably be less people than last year but still a sizeable event. Christmas will be at home. I guess MIL will be coming but not really sure how long. She's only about an hour away from us so she doesn't have to spend the night. I would love to have Christmas just the three of us but don't see that happening. My family is very spread out so they don't normally do anything much.

• Options
    We will be spending Thanksgiving in FL this year. We will be seeing my SIL and her family along with my Grandma. For Christmas I really want to spend Christmas morning at our house. DH has Christmas off this year so sometime in the afternoon we will load up and head over to my parents house for a family dinner. My in-laws live out of state and no longer come up to MI during the winter time, so we do not have to worry about juggling two families for the holidays.
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    My parents are 12 miles away, MIL is 500. Where we go depends on what holiday H gets his kids.

This year it's Christmas, so Thanksgiving is here. Then we go to NC Christmas eve and stay 5-6 days and be back for new years eve. Not that we're doing anything for it this year.

Next year we get the kids Thanksgiving. We go down Wed / Thurs come back Sunday. Then we head back down a day or two after Christmas and head back new years day.

This feels fair, even if MIL doesnt see it that way. Just because my family is closer doesn't mean I need to forfeit all holidays. It's hard enough for H to get off what he does.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Our parents are all local, so it's both easy and difficult to spend time with everyone. My ILs are actually not hosting Thanksgiving this year, so we'll do it with my parents. Christmas morning is spent at our own house and we head over to my parents' house for brunch, then have dinner by ourselves at home again, with my ILs joining us after for dessert and to give the kiddos their presents. We do the ILs big Christmas with the whole extended family the weekend after Christmas.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Been splitting with kids for 4 years now. Traveling with kids is tough on you the first year and gets tougher on them the next few since the excitement/exhaustion makes for a miserable toddler on x-mas day. We decided to curb travel as much as possible. We invite my in laws over on x-mas eve and t-day. They say no to t-day every year and x-mas is a battle but usually they make it but split their evening. It's sad considering DH is an only child.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"