Multiples

Has anyone successfully moved from exclusively pumping to EBF?

My boys arrived 37w3d and due to some time in nursery and my low supply, my lactation consultant has suggested that I exclusively pump.  I could nurse if I wanted to but she said it wouldn't do anything to increase my supply.  I do try to nurse them at least once a day but their latch isn't strong enough when they do manage to latch properly.

I've been pumping for 11 days now and my supply is up significantly although it's not enough to EBF the twins.  My hope is that I have enough supply to BF during the day and supplement with formula during the night.  

Has anyone been able to move from pumping to BF?  I feel guilty for not practicing nursing them more but with pumping every two hours and feeding them bottles, crying babies, it's hard to find the time to nurse.  When I do manage to nurse, they don't get enough but tired from all the sucking that they can't take the bottle and keep crying cause they're still hungry.  

I don't know how long I can keep this up :(
6 failed IUIs, 1 laparoscopy = stage 3 endometriosis
IVF in February a success!
EDD with twins 10/29

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Has anyone successfully moved from exclusively pumping to EBF?

• I'll be following this post! I'm in the same boat. My twins were born at 32 weeks and they're now 2 weeks adjusted. I've been exclusively pumping for the past 10 weeks. I pump 8x a day for 30 minutes each time. What a pain! I also try to nurse once or twice a day, but it's so hard to find time to do so, when I can pump and give bottles in much less time. If I try to nurse both, I still have to offer a bottle afterward because they nurse so poorly, so it sort of feels like, what's the point? My girl just screams because the milk doesn't come out fast enough, and my boy can nurse for 20 or 30 minutes off and on but then STILL take 3 oz from a bottle. Pumping is the worst, but I don't know how else to do it.
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes :). Definitely doable! When I'm not mobile, I can post more details.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

• Loading the player...
  • Mine were born at 35w0d. I pumped exclusively for the first 3 1/2 weeks, never needing to supplement, I was pumping 10 times each day for 20-30 minutes and it was miserable!!! I said I was done pumping and that they were other going to nurse or do formula because pumping was so much extra work. So here is how we transitioned to EBF, which we did exclusively for 14 months...... I took to my bed and had a nursing vacation as my LC called it, and basically nursed or tried to nonstop for the next 48 hrs. This was hard because you worry that they aren't getting enough of are too little still, but as my LC said, they won't starve and they did get it!! I'd say to trust your bodies ability to nurse them both. I never got as much milk pumping as the babies got from me nursing. The pump gave me terrible plugged ducts also. As I said we EBF for 14.25 months (solids started at 6 mos tho) and loved every minute of it.
    Two sets of fraternal twins, 23 mos. apart First set born 12/27/12 at 35w0d via IVF Second set born 11/18/14 at 35w6d via FET
  • I pumped every 2 hrs round the clock for the 1st 6-8 weeks, we heavily supplemented, and when my milk finally came in at 4 wks pp, I co tuned to pump my ass off to build supply. At 9 wks, the girls were EBF. 15 months old now and still nursing :)
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

• I did! My twins were born at 35.2 and in the NICU FOR 9 days. I nursed my older two for 13 months each and I was DETERMINED to do the same for the twins ( at least- I hope I can!). I was pumping every 2.5/3 hours round the clock. Babes would spend 25 minutes nursing (and then take 2 oz from a bottle) and I would pump. It was miserable. Their latches were bad, I was exhausted and my nipples hurt SO BAD. I finally got them latching ok during the day and I would nurse ALL. DAY. I would pump whenever I had 15+ minutes. I pumped/ bottled at night because they just wouldn't latch. When I finally got them nursing really well during the day I tried it at night and we have been going strong ever since. It was ready hard at growth spurt time though ( 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months I think) bc DS WANTED TO NURSE CONSTANTLY! I felt like I couldn't keep up. I tried fenugreek and it worked and I felt like I was doing ok.... You can do it! Good luck
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I didn't have success. Mine were born at 33 weeks. I have been pumping and bottle feeding since birth. We tried breastfeeding but they never got the hang of it. At 4 months they now eat more than I can pump so we have started to supplement. I pump about 40oz per day and have since week 4.

I hope it works out for you, I am sure it can be done, but you really need to focus. I could not work out the logistics of practice, bottle feeding, pumping and sleeping so they never got good enough at latching.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"