March 2015 Moms

Abdomen bigger than head

So I had my anatomy scan a couple weeks ago, and everything seemed to go great. Today I found out that baby J is measuring in the 78th percentile, which is great. But I also found out that his abdomen is measuring larger than his head. Now, the doctor doesn't seem terribly concerned at this point, and my mom has suggested I just watch my carbohydrate and sugar intake since I guess these measurements can indicate GD (I wont have my GD test for a couple more weeks). Nobody seems really worried, and I guess I'm not exactly feeling worried either since measurements can change and everything. 

But I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or has experienced this with past pregnancies. Did the measurements even out as you went along? Did you have difficulties like shoulder dystocia? How did things end up working out for you?

Re: Abdomen bigger than head

• No experience either, but sending you lots of positive energy.
  • I'm glad they aren't too concerned but that does sound like it's not quite right.  Hoping everything ends up being OK!

I also Googled it out of curiosity and there were a lot of posts from people who were told this after an u/s.  All were at least a couple of years old and had "mother to (insert name of child the mother was concerned about)" which implies happy healthy babies.  So it seems like it happens somewhat regularly and with good outcomes.   

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Loading the player...
  • @JCWhitey

Yeah, from what I've read it seems that the main concern is the baby's abdomen getting stuck on its way out. There doesn't seem to be any real health risks or anything. And it's definitely not a totally unheard of thing. The fact that nobody seems terribly concerned at this point is reassuring. At 20 weeks, there is still plenty of time for measurements to change as the baby grows, so I will hopefully get good news at the 28 week u/s. 

I'm trying not to be that totally paranoid FTM, but it's hard to stay mellow, lol. 
  • My son's abdomen measured significantly larger than his head with my last pregnancy (overall he was 2-4 weeks ahead in size from the a/s to birth at 9lb 12oz).  I did not have GD.  On the u/s they were estimating his weight to be greater than 9lbs at 38 weeks with his abdomen still much larger than his head.  My husband measured similarly and experienced shoulder dystocia at birth (9lb 15oz).  His arm had to be dislocated at the shoulder at the time to get him out.

The high risk of shoulder dystocia, his weight and other measurements ultimately led to my having a c-section.  My OB said she could let me attempt to labor and have him naturally if I was insistent, as she knew my original plan was to have a vaginal birth with no epidural, but she didn't recommend it.  The final u/s at 38 weeks was the deciding factor for me.

I would not worry too much about it this early as measurements can change and even out.  As you get further along if your OB becomes concerned then you will come up with a plan for a safe delivery together.

For suzyq0525

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Maybe he's just going to be a little chub chub. And I feel like with everything else on the baby even the abdomen will squish down to fit outwhen it needs to. Abdomens are usually pretty squishy, right?

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Yeah, he might be a little chubster. His daddy and I both are, lol. 

BitsyBelle84 - thank you so much for your feedback, it's reassuring to hear from someone else who had this happen. I'm definitely hoping to avoid a c-section if I can, so hopefully the measurements even out as we go. 
  • BitsyBelle84BitsyBelle84 member
    edited October 2014
    JCWhitey said:
    Maybe he's just going to be a little chub chub. And I feel like with everything else on the baby even the abdomen will squish down to fit outwhen it needs to. Abdomens are usually pretty squishy, right?
    The abdomen is not the concern so much as a larger abdomen is an indication of broad shoulders that may be wider than the head and may cause the baby to become stuck with its head out and be unable to be delivered the rest of the way without major intervention.  It is considered an obstetric emergency due to compression of the umbilical cord in the birth canal.

For suzyq0525

Anniversary

• I initially thought it was because they worried the tummy would get stuck (said it in a previous post) but after reading more, yeah, it looks like shoulder dystocia is the concern. Hopefully if he stays under the 90th percentile we won't have to worry too much, though.
  • JCWhiteyJCWhitey member
    edited October 2014
    JCWhitey said:
    Maybe he's just going to be a little chub chub. And I feel like with everything else on the baby even the abdomen will squish down to fit outwhen it needs to. Abdomens are usually pretty squishy, right?
    The abdomen is not the concern so much as a larger abdomen is an indication of broad shoulders that may be wider than the head and may cause the baby to become stuck with its head out and be unable to be delivered the rest of the way without major intervention.  It is considered an obstetric emergency due to compression of the umbilical cord in the birth canal.
    Can I ask where you found this info or have you experienced it?  I don't doubt you, I just couldn't find anything on Google besides some message board babbling about how normal it was (and one fear mongering reply courtesy of Baby Center, but that had something to do with a heart condition).  Given I didn't bother going past page 2 since it was pretty much all BC babble and I can only handle so much of that.  

ETA:  sorry!  I just now saw thAt you posted your reply at about the same time as my second.  When I clicked back into the post it brought me to the one below my last reply so I only saw this reply.  Sorry!  Ignore my reply.  Hopefully this one pops up on Google someday because the BC ones that do are worthless.

• If you look up shoulder dystocia it will give more comprehensive information. I spent a lot of time googling the wrong thing. Of course, next time I see my OB I'll ask her about my specific case and see what she says.
  • Try not to Google too much in the meantime! Lots can change in the next 20 or so weeks. Do you have another u/s scheduled?

• WhitfryWhitfry member
    edited October 2014
    I do, at 28 weeks. Honestly, I don't feel super worried. I know that if there were something serious going on, my Ob would tell me. My mom mentioned the abdominal size when I asked her to find out what growth percentile the baby was in, because we were both curious. And she definitely didn't seem really concerned when she told me. She just said eat less sugar and carbs, but she's been telling me that since I was 11.

I guess one of the benefits of growing up with a midwife is that it would take a lot to scare me. But I'm very interested in other people who have experienced this, because I like to feel prepared for all possible scenarios.

And yeah, I should stay off the google. It's horribly unreliable. But it's so addictive, even more so while pregnant, lol!
  • @JCWhitey‌ No worries. I had actually never heard of shoulder dystocia until my OB brought it up after my a/s and I researched it more. I was telling my MIL about it and she relayed her experience.

@Whitfry‌ FX the measurements even out as baby J grows and you are able have the birth experience you want.

For suzyq0525

Anniversary

• No experience, but it looks like PP have given good insight. I just wanted to send you some positive thoughts and prayers. 
    BFP #1 1/4/14  |  Diagnosed with Trisomy 13 at 12 weeks 3/6/14  |  MMC 3/21/14  |   D&C 3/24/14
    BFP #2 7/1/14  |  DS born March 2015
    BFP#3 5/22/17 | MC 6/17/17 at 7w3d
  • I had GD last pregnancy and my son was actually measuring 3 weeks behind and I was diagnosed early with it with this pregnancy and this baby was measuring a few days bigger in early ultrasounds, but I had one about 2 weeks ago and all measurements were exact with how far along I am. With that being said, I don't really think that is an indication of GD
  • I dont know how im just now seeing this, I dont have an experience but ill be thinking of baby j! Definitely keep us updated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"