April 2014 Moms

Stranger anxiety

DS is 6 months old and every time anyone in our families try to hold him or play with him he screams bloody murder. My dad and step mom just came over and DS cried for an hour while they were here. He would just look at them and scream. Same thing happens with the IL's and my mom. I don't let other strangers hold him. I'm a SAHM and he's home with me all day everyday and sees DH at night. I don't know what to do. We don't see family or friends often because we're busy and everyone else is busy as well. He is better in the mornings with people, but still gets upset.

Suggestions on how to fix this or make it better? Is my baby broken? I'm sad and frustrated because I feel like I can't leave him or do anything without him. Anyone experiencing something similar? HELP!

Re: Stranger anxiety

• DS is 6 months old and every time anyone in our families try to hold him or play with him he screams bloody murder. My dad and step mom just came over and DS cried for an hour while they were here. He would just look at them and scream. Same thing happens with the IL's and my mom. I don't let other strangers hold him. I'm a SAHM and he's home with me all day everyday and sees DH at night. I don't know what to do. We don't see family or friends often because we're busy and everyone else is busy as well. He is better in the mornings with people, but still gets upset.

Suggestions on how to fix this or make it better? Is my baby broken? I'm sad and frustrated because I feel like I can't leave him or do anything without him. Anyone experiencing something similar? HELP!

I feel your pain. My LO is exactly the same. When I brought it up to the doctor she said it's normal and shouldn't last past nine months. And that it's more common in babies who don't go to daycare. My LO has issues with people's houses. She's fine at stores and things like that but take her to someone's house and she screams. Hopefully it passes soon!
  • ambarnett1ambarnett1 member
    edited October 2014
    Yeah if someone talks to him while we're out he smiles, but at home or someone else's house it's purple faced, no breathing screaming.

Eta- I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like I broke my baby.

• Loading the player...
  • Mine is doing this too. Only my brother has been able to hold her without tears, but he used to be a manny, so I think she could smell his non-fear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours has started this recently as well, mostly with loud people. I think at 6-9 months it's typical.
  • My LO seems to have this issue only with men, which is odd since DH is a SAHD. But this too shall pass!

**Warning - Child Mentioned**

Me: 33, DH: 39   Unexplained Infertility

4 IUIs (chlomid) in 2013 which resulted in DS born in April 2014

TTC #2 since August 2015

5 rounds of IUIs (1 chlomid: resistent, 1 femara, 3 gonal f) = all BFN

ER March 9: 26 eggs retrieved, 19 mature and 17 fertilized, 8 made it to genetic testing, 4 normal!

FET #1 5/31 = BFN

FET#2 7/26 = BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks ladies! I appreciate the commiseration and advice.

• I think a lot of that is just their personality; you didn't do it! I'd pick whichever relative would be the most likely babysitter and make an effort have your LO see them regularly, at a good time or day or out and about, wherever the baby's most relaxed. Some kids are always shy, but it'll get better when he can remember family members - the freak out phase will pass.

My LO has seen my parents twice a week at least since she was born, both at our house and theirs, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. She only lets me hold her while we are there. As long as they keep their distance she is fine.

• Rachnan said:

My LO seems to have this issue only with men, which is odd since DH is a SAHD. But this too shall pass!

Same here minus the SAHD part. BIL and nephew both induce screaming if they try to interact with her.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • It's definitely age appropriate and will pass!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"