Baby Names
Options

Minerva?

Obviously, this is an entirely hypothetical exercise, but what are the thoughts on Minerva? I'm trying to offer it to H as a compromise away from Persephone. I love Persephone, but I just feel like it's 'too much.' I think it's one of those names that takes a certain kind of person to carry off, and that can't be guaranteed. To give an idea of style, our other girl names in the running are:
Claudia
Catherine
Margaret
Helena
Evangeline
Sibyl
Lydia

Middle name TBD, but we're partial to somewhat common and simple but pretty names like Anne and Jane (no May/Mae/Ray/Rae). My huge GPs are Priscilla and Beryl.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
Me-31, H-27
**Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
**Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
 9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
 U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Minerva?

• Options
    Too Harry Potter fandom
  • Options

I pretty much despise Minerva. If I was told that I could have been named Persephone but it got changed to Minerva, I'd be pissed!

All in all they are all nice names (except Minerva) it just depends on what you want in a name. Persephone and Evangeline are beautiful but they are a whole lot of name. I love them but can't see using either of them personally because I think they are too much.

Claudia, Catherine, Margaret, and Helena are also nice names but I wouldn't personally use them because I want people to say or think "That's a nice name you don't hear very often." when they learn my child's name.

Sybil (isn't this how it is spelled?) and Lydia are names that I would definitely use. I think they are just the right measure of uncommon, yet familiar without being too much. Good luck deciding!

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Minerva. JK Rowling didn't invent the name so I shrug off the Harry Potter reference personally.

FWIW I used Persephone as a MN.

I really like your list and your GP names. I almost named my cat Priscilla bc I love it and just can't see myself really using it as a baby name. But DH wasn't as into it as me so her name is Felicity.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know anything about Harry Potter, but I think Minerva is a town in Ohio where the Amish make cheese and butter. I've had the butter and it's good. So I think 'butter' when I hear Minerva.
  • Options
    DaisyZHDaisyZH member
    edited October 2014
    I love Priscilla!  I also really like Claudia, Evangeline and Lydia.

I feel like Minerva would actually be harder to pull off than Persephone.  I do like the nn Minnie though.

Priscilla Anne gets my vote :)

ETA: I actually wouldn't worry about the Harry Potter connection personally.  For one, she's a great character but also I don't think it's as obvious as say Hermione (this is coming from someone who would totally use Hermione if DH would let me!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    mjreilly2 said:
    I love it. I have considered it even. I am too much of a chicken though. Same with Ginevra "Ginny." We have considered it to honor a relative that was very special to my dad—amazing woman. Her name was Minnie.
    That's absolutely the nn we would use for it. I know you can't choose what a kid will go by, but I do think most names get shortened.

The thing with Priscilla is that it's almost ridiculous with my maiden name. Granted, a lot of people I meet now don't know it (I took H's last name and my maiden is my middle), but it would be painfully obvious to family and old friends. I really really like it, though.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly I hate Minerva.  I think it just sounds ugly.  I have an Evangeline so that's my favorite.  I don't think Persephone is unusable and definitely prefer it to Minerva.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    I've never seen or read HP so didn't make that connection.

It sounds like a birth control pill to me also.
  • Options
    I love Minerva, which is on our girl list, along with half the other names you mentioned.  And I might have to add the other half.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I prefer Helena off of your list, and like Athena better than Minerva.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not a fan.
    I think Catherine is the best option on your list, or Claudia.
  • Options
    I like Claudia best from your list. I consider that a great underused name.

Minerva did immediately make me think of Harry Potter, and Minnie, the Mouse. Some are not bothered knowing that some will immediately have associations like that, but I'm one who would be bothered by that so I wouldn't use them.

I also am with the people that think Minerva is just not pleasant sounding.
  • Options
    I love Minerva, it is so much stronger than Persephone, and somehow a lot less pretentious.
  • Options
    I don't like Minerva, reminds me of mi-nervous. What about Penelope as an alternate to Persephone? I do think Persephone is very pretty though.

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    I'm named Lydia, so that's where my vote goes!

Really though, I never disliked my name growing up. I always thought it was pretty, and I never shared my name with anyone else in class.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I prefer Persephone to Minerva, but I do like Minerva/Minnie.

But Claudia is my favorite from your list.  I've been crushing on that a lot lately.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Claudia, Catherine and Margaret are all beautiful to me.  Minerva is just too much... for me.  
  • Options
    lolathepekelolathepeke member
    edited October 2014
    Minnie is cute.
    Minerva is hideous.
    Your other girl names are 1000000000% better!
  • Options

Sybil (isn't this how it is spelled?) and Lydia are names that I would definitely use. I think they are just the right measure of uncommon, yet familiar without being too much. Good luck deciding!

I'm pretty sure you're correct on the spelling.  I thought it was weird when I saw it in the original post.
    Both spellings have been in use for a long time, but Sibyl is closer to the original Greek.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    Minerva is terrible...but "Persephone" is worse. 
    Your other options are all nice:
    Claudia
    Catherine
    Margaret
    Helena
    Evangeline
    Sibyl
    Lydia

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DawnJM25 said:
    I'm not a Harry Potter fan, so I've never heard of this.  Sounds like a birth control pill.  I like all of your other names way better.
    Haha, I've seen Harry Potter, but I didn't recognize the name at all. I immediately though BC too! Haha

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"