Food Allergy

What fake cheese is good on pizza.

What is your go to fake cheese? We have a dairy and Soy allergy.
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What fake cheese is good on pizza.

• As far as I've heard, Daiya is the best cheese substitute. I gave it to DD1 on pizza when she was little and she seemed to like it. But it kinda grossed me out, so we just don't put cheese on our DDs' pizzas when we make them. I was on a restricted diet when nursing DD2 and I ate pizza without cheese during that time and I still enjoyed it.

Papa John's pizza crust and most toppings are dairy and soy free. We order it without cheese for our girls and they love it.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Daiya.  It melts well and tastes pretty good.  Just use a bit less than regular cheese because it is a little more creamy and seems like too much if used heavy handed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Another vote for Daiya!
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)
  • Daiya's texture is just weird and doesn't taste the same. There really isn't a good sub. Like PP mentioned, Papa John's breadsticks and pizza sauce are dairy free. Mellow mushroom makes a vegan pizza with the Daiya cheese, but make sure you tell them not to put the parmesen cheese on the crust- we learned the hard way when we went to pick up the pizza. :-(
    imageimage
  • kris_kelsey Does all Daiya taste the same? I found slices and made DD#2 a sandwich and she said it was "bad", I was grossed out.

shotzie do you put any toppings on the pizza or just sauce?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • From Papa John's we do sauce, black olives, and sausage. Those are the toppings my girls like. Their website has allergen info and lists all the toppings. I think their pepperoni is dairy/soy free too.

Any veggies would be fair game for toppings. Applegate Farms makes really good sliced pepperoni that is dairy/soy free. We use that for homemade pizza. It's a little spicy for our girls though.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Another vote for Daiya.

I never liked the slices and always used the shredded, even for grilled cheese sandwiches.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Thanks for the help ladies, I guess I will buy some shredded Daiya and see what my daughter thinks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I never tried the sliced Daiya because, well, it never appealed to me.  I have used the shredded though to make pizza, nachos, quesadillas, and in my chili or other soups.  i wouldn't like the cheese alone, but it is good in in a chicken and bean quesadilla for example. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"