September 2012 Moms

Do you have a sound machine for LO?

We have had a music box in DD's nursery ever since she started sleeping in there at 5 months.  I never thought of trying to wean her.  Now, it's acting up and sometimes goes off prematurely (it's set to 60 minutes)...and I notice most nights she'll wake up crying when that happens.  Clearly she's pretty dependent on it and I wonder if and when we should think about weaning her off of any noise.  I guess it's only really an issue when we travel but then DH just plays music off his phone until she falls asleep.
Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Do you have a sound machine for LO?

• Yes. We live on a busy street with a train so we have always used the white noise to help block the street noise. Maya used hers until just about a month ago and Ethan still uses his.
  • We still use it and I don't see an end in sight! It's on all night long and when we need to wake her up, the instant we turn it off she's awake. We take it with us when we travel and if needed, we use the white app noise on our phone or iPad I don't see a need to wean her of it when it's working well!!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The boys both have fans in their rooms, so I guess it is considered white noise. I still sleep with a fan on, so I don't think I will ever "wean" them from it.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • We all use white noise machines with no plans on weaning.

• DD has a noise machine as well. Since we were in a 1 bedroom apt for a year, I rarely notice it now and almost never turn it off. I never hear it until people come over and ask what that noise is. I have no plans to wean from it.
    Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
  • Never used one for DD1.  DD2 uses the sleep sheep, mainly to drown out DD1's noise when they aren't going to sleep at the same time.  I figure we'll stop using it when she moves to a bed, if not before, just because the fewer things she's dependent on for sleep, the better.  But that's probably a way off for DD2.
  • My boys use a sound machine. Ethan is five and still likes it. They can both fall asleep without it when we are away from home. I see no reason to take it away from them.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • We still use white noise for DD and it's partly for myself too because I hear it over the monitor all night.  I don't think we'll ever stop using it.
                                     http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
  • Both boys use it to drown out household sounds. I take one with us when we travel for the same reason. Not worried about weaning. If they want to sleep to low playing music the entire time they live at home, fine with me.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• We still have a sound machine in Nola's room. Like others, we use it to drown out noise while she's asleep. She's able to sleep without it, which I good because I forget it sometimes when she stays with my ILs.

Anniversary

• We have a noise machine in both kids rooms. Not music but wind / ocean sounds.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • We put E's on the ocean or rain sounds every night to tune out the house sounds. 

• Yes, both of them. They go to bed early and that a at we can actually still do things.

Also, we have pretty loud neighbors on one side - white noise makes the desire to kill them much less frequent.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have one in DS's room and there are no plans to wean him from it.  DH and both have the TV (sound on low) to fall asleep and my brother sleeps with a fan on so I don't see the harm him learning to fall asleep with noise.  I actually thought it was best for him to learn to fall asleep with a bit of noise verse the dead quiet so why take it away now...

we don't do music, his is a muted heart beat water sound..
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • Just like everyone else.  We use a white noise machine and have no plans to wean.  Both of our boys have theirs playing all night.  Brody is 4 1/2 and I don't plan on taking it away anytime soon.  It drowns out the dogs and any other house noise.

Brody can fall asleep at a Grandparent's house without it, but Aedan is still fairly dependent on it.  The way I see it, Aedan is just dependent on routine/comfort items at this age, whereas Brody can handle being out of routine a little more.  

We have an extra one that we travel with.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Yes. Both our kids have a sound spa in their rooms. We also have portable one for when we travel.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Because she has a window air conditioner in the summer and a humidifier sometimes in the winter, she's gotten used to white noise at night.  When neither of those is running we have a cheap white noise machine for her.  I think it helps keep things consistent for her when we travel, too--my parents' house is really quiet, and sometimes hotels are really loud.

No plans to wean her from it.  

If this one is fritzy maybe you could try swapping in something else and see if she goes for it?  A basic white noise machine is pretty cheap and can be set to go all night if you want.
  • I still sleep with noise as an adult, so I have no plans to try and get my kids to stop.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"