Trouble TTC a Sibling
Options

Intro and Q

emilygrace07emilygrace07 member
edited October 2014 in Trouble TTC a Sibling
Update (also posted below): Thank you ladies for your friendly advice. You all are wonderful and I wish you all the very best of luck and offer you my prayers. Although I just joined, I received some devastating news today (non-TTC-related) and TTC will be the last thing on my mind for quite some time. If things are miraculously resolved, I hope to return here in the near future. Good luck all.

Hello there bumpies! Feeling like a newbie here as the last time I used the Bump, I was pregnant with my first...8 years ago! He's now a happy, handsome little 7&1/2 year old, named Shay. I apologize in advance..this is going to be a long post and kind of all over the place in topic. I've always been a terrible story-teller. Also, I've read the forum rules/etiquette, but apologize if I missed something. I don't intend to offend anyone!

A little about me/us. I'm Emily, 26 years old. Married to my wonderful husband for over 7 years, still just as in love as the day we married. I imported him from England (LOL), a London-city boy. We now live happily on a 100+ acre family farm in OH with our dozens and dozens of farm critters/pets (I have discovered I am a chicken addict, and consider all 60+ of them my beloved pets). DH joined the US Air Force a few months ago and just recently graduated from basic training. He's home now because of an issue (now resolved) with his dual-citizenship and won't be shipped to military tech training school until roughly next June, when he'll be away again (TX) for another few months. Anyways. We aren't rich by any means, but live comfortably (I'm a happy SAHM) and are confident we can provide for another child. However, him and I don't have medical insurance at the moment (will have soon through military). This matters if you read further.

About our issue. We have been "trying" (BD w/o protection) for 7 years. We've discussed, but haven't decided to go the route of fertility treatments for a number of reasons. Namely being cost (like I mentioned, no insurance), and my intense fear of hospitals and needles. I can handle the necessary hospital visits and BW/shots during pregnancy, but will avoid anything unnecessary at all cost. I know I likely have medical issues. My mother, father and only sister have hyperthyroidism, and my sister (and various other women in my family) has PCOS. IF also runs in the family. I haven't been tested, but am fairly certain I have at least thyroid issues, if not the PCOS, as well. I have never had regular menstrual cycles. I go long periods (no pun intended) of time without one. Never know when they're coming. There have been times I've gone up to a year without AF. I would assume I don't OV, if it weren't for my son. (Warning: this gets personal.) My DH was my first physical partner and we found ourselves unintentionally pregnant at the tender ages of 17/18, after only about a month of being physical. I can't fathom how he was conceived so quickly/easily, with my "defective" body and all the trouble we're having now. I'm not complaining, mind you. He's a blessing and we couldn't love him more. He's wanted a sibling just about since he could talk, and I feel terrible that we haven't given him one. My sister and I were only 16 months apart and very close, the best of friends. I am sad that Shay will never have that. We've seriously considered adoption and may still go that route if we have no miracles in the near future. Anyways, while DH was away at basic, I realized how desperately I'd love a second child. Before, I've had a very poor libido (chalked it up to thyroid), but since DH has been home, that's changed. I'm not sure if it's because I missed him so much, or if there's a medical reason, but in the 3-4 weeks he's been home, we've done the BD nearly every day. I thought there was no way we could miss that little window of time (ovulation) if we did it every day. I took a cheap HPT a couple of days ago that came back BFN (I'm so sick of that ugly single line). I was pretty devastated today when I realized I'd started menstruating. (Off topic, it was kind of ironic, really. I'd just gotten off the phone with my sister, who is somewhat TTC and had many pregnancy symptoms lately, but was sad to realize AF came to visit 2 days ago. Her HPTs always naturally come back positive although she's never been pregnant, so she thought nothing when the test she took the other day was also positive. I told her to have a blood test done anyways, because when I was PG with my son, despite medically being impossible, I had the most regular, normal (heavy) AFs I've ever had in my life. So there's still a small chance for her. I hung up with her and realized less than an hour later I'd also started mine...) I'm going to take the second HPT in a few days anyways, and try a higher-quality test when the cycle ends. I assume since we were going at it like bunnies for the last month, if this is an "actual" AF, I did not OV. Which, as sad as it is, doesn't really surprise me. I've assumed I don't OV regularly (well, before every irregular AF, that is) or at all for years.

Now the question. Clomid. I'm considering trying it, as it can be purchased online without a prescription, but am not sure if it's safe to use with a possible thyroid issue. I realize I should take this to an OBGYN, and I will as soon as our health insurance kicks in. Just thought I'd see if any fellow TTCers here had advice while I'm waiting. There are plenty of other issues I'll take up with an OBGYN, as well, including thyroid, PCOS, the high risks I had with #1 and any complications that could be causing this time around (GD and negative blood-type issues, specifically).

I am sorry that there are others out there also dealing with IF, but must admit, it's nice finding a place with others who "know". Thank you for hearing me out.

Re: Intro and Q

• Options

HI! Wow that was a lot, but I mean it in a good way. :)

My only comments are for your question...my Dr. Specifically had my Thyroid tested before letting me take the Clomid. I don't know why-whether it was because he didn't want me to waste my time taking it if I had a thyroid issue or if it would be bad to take the clomid because of it?? I don't know. I didn't have the thyroid issue and am taking the Clomid. Maybe others will know if it's safe to take it or not before talking to your OB. Good luck!

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Thank you both!
    I'm actually not sure about the pre-existing thing, but I'll check into it. We'll be with Tricare. DH looked back into it tonight and it's still screwed up, but he said he would make sure it got straightened out and that I should go ahead and make an appt with an OBGYN. I expected nothing to do with IF will be covered sadly, but hopefully any other medical issues (causing the IF) would be. I don't mind paying out of pocket for the Clomid, if there's a chance it'll help. :) I'll take your advice and use the meds under a dr's care rather than going it alone ... my first pregnancy was high-risk enough.
    I'll probably make that appt tomorrow, and I'll check back in here.
    Thanks again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no knowledge on Clomid, but agree with pp that you should not take it without being monitored. Also, since you really don't know what your cycles are like, or if you are even ovulating, definitely start charting your temps. At least them you will find if you even O.

BFP #1 7/6/2012, EDD 3/13/2013, Delivered 3/14/2013

BFP #2 1/7/2014: EDD:9/14 MC: 1/9/2014 (confirmed via blood work)

BFP #3 7/5/2014: EDD 3/11/2015 MC: 7/15/2014

BFP #4 11/7/2014: EDD 7/17/2015~~Please be my RAINBOW!

My Chart

image image image

All are Welcome!

• Options
    Welcome! I also imported my husband from the UK ( well he was over here when we met but now he is stuck here ;) ) Does your son have dual citizenship also? 

As for your question,  like other have said, don't do it, it's not safe!

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh cool, Mara! Do you never/rarely hear his accent anymore, too? ;) Has he naturalized yet?
    Nope, LO is all-American. We haven't even taken him across the pond yet.
  • Options
    mara005mara005 member
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I don't hear it anymore, I feel like he I losing it. He isn't naturalized, I don't think he wants to be honestly.
    Our DS has dual citizenship and has been over twice before. We are also going again in June.

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

You would be covered by Tricare dating back from when your DH was in bootcamp.  All that has to be done is add you into DEERS (which I think can be added online) and then you get an ID card. 

Tricare is great for infertility testing and is low cost for prescriptions.  I just had my Clomid filled at the pharmacy off base and it was only $5.00.  Please don't buy it online.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @mara005‌ I didn't even know it was possible for the LOs to be dual citizens. We were told from day 1 he would be only American. That's neat for your DS! I understand not wanting to naturalize. DH hadn't planned on it either until he decided to join the military and obviously had to.

@chloebeth930‌ Oh yay! I figured Tricare wouldn't cover IF (because my dad was military, too, and I remember mom forever complaining about Tricare never covering anything haha). That's great news, thank you.
    DH deals with those things so I'm not sure but I assumed we were already in DEERS since we already have our IDs. We were confused because the Tricare site apparently still thinks he's in training under free care (understandably I guess, since he really should be at tech school now), and won't let him change it or add me. He called and they said it takes a few days to change after he's home, but it hasn't yet in 3-4 weeks. He's still looking into it, though.
    And I made an appt with an OBGYN today, but can't get in for over a month (UGH), so he has plenty of time to get it working right. .-.
  • Options

If you already have your ID cards then you are already in DEERS and have Tricare.  Your military ID card is your "insurance card."  Your DH's care is seperate from yours.

Tricare covers most all testing and meds for Infertility.  Basically whatever is needed for conception inside the body they take care of (testing, meds, ultrasounds).  When it gets to conception outside the body (think IUI and IVF) they won't cover those actual procedures.

FWIW... I would start trying to take care of insurance matters and other "administrative type" things involving your family.  If your DH's career is anything like my active duty husbands, they will be gone all the time and unreachable for a lot of it.  You will need to know who to call and how to take care of it yourself.  The worst time to figure out that you don't know how to deal with your medical care is when your husband is 1/2 way across the world and can only call you every week or so.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks, chloebeth. I had to learn most of the ropes when DH was away at basic. Still have some learning to do, of course (mainly with insurance, obviously haha). DH just voluntarily jumped back onto the role of family admin when he came home. I think I'm mostly prepared for his leaving again. My DH is Air NG, not active duty at this time thankfully, although I'm sure periods away come with the territory for all types of military.
  • Options
    Welcome, I think the other ladies have answered your questions.

DD 15.07.2012

BFP #2 01.18.2014, MMC 04.10.2014 15w5d

BFP #3 07.18.2014, MC 07.31.2014 5w6d

DX: RPL due to submucosal uterine fibroid. Hysteroscopy 12/16. All clear!

image</a

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Thank you, @lemonblossom3‌ . :) Don't worry, I won't be taking the Clomid now unless recommended by a dr. I have an appt with a local OBGYN at the end of Nov that I may cancel. I did some searching and found my nearest REs are a 2 hour drive away, and in the city at that (I'm a country gal, even the thought of city-driving sends chills down my spine). DH and I sat down and discussed this deeply and decided, at this point, we want to really go for it instead of just going without protection and hoping it'll happen, so I took advice found here and ordered the TCOYF book, OVPs, and a fertility microscope, and downloaded Fertility Friend. Like I mentioned, I doubt that I ovulate much, if at all, but am anxious to track closely for awhile. I'm not sure whether I want to try serious tracking for awhile or just go ahead and bite the bullet and make an RE appt. :-?
  • Options
    Thanks dani! I'll go ahead and book an appt then assuming it'll take awhile to get in. I started charting with a BBT yesterday. :) Really anxious to see how this goes. :-SS
  • Options
    Update: Thank you ladies for your friendly advice. You all are wonderful and I wish you all the very best of luck and offer you my prayers. Although I just joined, I received some devastating news today (non-TTC-related) and TTC will be the last thing on my mind for quite some time. If things are miraculously resolved, I hope to return here in the near future. Good luck all.
  • Options
    I'm just now getting caught up, but I'm sorry about everything that's going on. Best of luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"