October 2014 Moms
Options

GTKY: Childhood Dreams

What did you want to be when you "grew up?" Did you achieve that dream? Are you still working on it? 

I guess I just enjoy GTKY posts. They are fun! I may try to post one each weekend if you all want to humor me! :)

Re: GTKY: Childhood Dreams

• Options
    lrobi13lrobi13 member
    edited October 2014
    I wanted to be these three things :
    A cheerleader (never happened;no regrets )
    A waitress (I did do that while in college )
    A welder/"dancer" (thanks Flashdance) I never was a dancer but my husband did show me how to weld!

Eta: I have quizzed my mom about why they let me watch Flashdance as a young child. She blames my aunt and said I was obessed. Great parenting runs in my family right?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also had a few and oddly have done/am doing the ones that stick out in my mind except one...

be a writer - doing it now

be a singer/performer - my primary career

be a teacher - considering taking a long term sub position. My town desperately needs teachers.

be an astronomer - nope, but I do greatly appreciate having just moved to a place where I can clearly see stars each night and remembering constellations.
  • Options
    @kaylajade8911 If you love it, you should do it - at least for yourself. My first year in college I studied Criminal Justice instead of pursuing music because I was scared but I took voice lessons and my voice teacher told me that the rest of the music dept staff didn't think I could sing and that I should stay with criminal justice...what she didn't know is that, a few months prior, I had auditioned at one the absolute most prestigious music schools in the world and thankfully for my self-esteem, I left that lesson receiving my acceptance letter and a scholarship offer to that school. 

My point is, when it comes to art, a teacher's opinion is just that - an opinion. And if it makes you any bit happy, you should pop open a sketchbook every once in a while! ;)
  • Options

I wanted to be a mermaid. Obviously that didn't pan out.
    But I wanted to help people, before DS I worked in special needs care and taught art lessons to a select few. So I guess I did achieve that.

I do admit, my passion is art. But teachers always told me I wasn't good enough. I stopped drawing for pleasure for years after my A Level didn't go well. I only draw for my son's now.

Remember people didn't like Van Gogh's art at first either. Do what you love. Art is art. :)
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I changed my mind every few months as a child. Teacher, architect, programmer, banker, chef, etc... I couldn't make up my mind when i was younger.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    I wanted to be a marine mammalogist when I was young. I went to college in Florida because of it, but then decided to dabble in pre-med/pre-dentistry, realized that wasn't for me, and now I'm a nurse practitioner. Couldn't be further from my childhood dream. Funny where life takes you.

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

• Options
    A pediatric oncologist.  

I opted for the other "D" when I realized I would have a terrible bedside manner.  I work quite close with oncologists and I often find myself regretting my decision, but then I realize that it's the medicine that excites me, and it reinforces my decision.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    I wanted to be a marine biologist for a long time but then realized I couldn't do math and science marries math. I originally went to college to be a journalist and wanted to travel the world, then I realized journalism wasn't as fun and I met DH and wanted to have a family with him someday. I then went into teaching and special education which I've worked in for about 3 years. I don't think it's my calling though, I'm not sure if I'm going to teach again next year.
    I really want to go to culinary school, learn some business and open my own bakery.
  • Options
    I wanted to be Wonder Woman, then a mathematician, and later an architect. I ended up working in historic preservation.
  • Options
    1. Professional horseback rider 2. Lawyer I went to Nationals twice with one of my horses in high school. Did not become a lawyer. My Dad asked what I would do when my client was guilty, I said I'm only going to represent the innocent.

• Options
    I had a few things I wanted to be:

A librarian (I love to read)

A professional soccer or softball player that played on the US teams...the closest I got was having Yale try to recruit me for softball

A writer...I have finished my first novel. Now I just need to type it up and edit it and find somewhere to send it off to so this would be the one I'm closest to accomplishing.
  • Options
    MrsL2B said:
    I wanted to be Wonder Woman, then a mathematician, and later an architect. I ended up working in historic preservation.
    @MrsL2B I wanted to be like Elektra but that isn't going so well...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"