May 2015 Moms
Options

So embarrassed(terrible twos)

My son will be 2 next month. When he doesnt get his way he'll throw his body down over and over what can I do to end this quickly so embarrassing.

Re: So embarrassed(terrible twos)

• Options
    OMG my parents have home videos of my twin brother doing this exact thing at the exact same age.. My mom would ignore it or say things like, "oh! You're gonna clean the floor for mommy?" Kids are smart and he'll learn early that it doesn't do anything for him..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Usually, I let my daughter have her tantrum for a few moments- often not longer than 20-30 seconds. Then I usually approach her very gently and just comfort her. Rock her, soothe her, empathize with her. Once she's calm, we discuss why we behavior xyz is inappropriate and always have her respond, either with "Okay mama" or "I'm sorry" if she hit someone. But at this age, they're so little it's hard for them to contain all their emotions. I think it's healthy to express a little bit of that frustration, but if I let her keep going- she spirals out of control and gets worse and harder to reach. Usually I can get her to come back to me if I react more swiftly and gently. 

It is embarrassing sometimes, but it's part of motherhood. I try to focus on my baby and that I'd rather support her and her needs than worry about some prick giving me a dirty look in Starbucks. 
  • Options
    @ramy3‌ is wise. That's how we roll as well.

9/13/12 BFP 9/25/12 M/C at 6.5 weeks

***All AL'ers Welcome***

• Options
    Thank yall alot!!! He does it when he doesn't get his way. (Like leaving the park) (Playing Outside)
  • Options
    While I do a bit of ignoring (the anger part) and offering sympathy (once the sadness hits) - and we always 'talk' about what happened and why and how we feel about it afterwards - I have never once felt embarrassed. Happens to every parent, sooner or later. Doesn't say a thing about you or your parenting or your kid. It's a stage. We all go through it.

Frankly, anybody judging can just fuck off.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My hubby and I who are expecting our first just bought a book called 'Parenting with Love and Logic'.  We started reading it yesterday and I already think it is really great!  It discusses common tough scenarios like this.  Regarding tantrums, it says that basically all healthy children will have some form of a tantrum.  Maybe your child has a lot of drive and determination? :)  Anyhow, it says to give them a safe place to have their tantrum without getting worked up personally.  The idea is to let the child know that their emotions are ok for right now but that other people don't need to be subject to their fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"