School-Aged Children
Options

Any experience with bullying in kindergarten?

My son and a few other kids have been dealing with a little boy in their class, mostly at lunchtime when the teacher is not supervising.  There are "lunch ladies" but I'm sure they aren't paying super close attention.  I emailed the teacher yesterday and she is getting the principal and guidance counselor involved.  Any idea how they typically handle these situations at such a young age?  (bullying example:  stealing lunch, lots of name calling, wiping ketchup on my son's face---that was the clincher!). 

On a side note: My son said yesterday that Santa should be putting this boy on the naughty list for sure.  He seems to be handling it ok but is very annoyed.

Re: Any experience with bullying in kindergarten?

• Options
    You've done exactly what you need to as a first step.  The school will probably counsel the kid who is misbehaving and keep an eye on him.  They may make sure he sits separately from kids he's antagonized.

Sometimes, in kindergarten, kids aren't bullying in the sense of systematically picking on the same other kids all the time.  It could be that this other kid is just undisciplined and has no impulse control.  It's entirely possible that he's not victimizing your son specifically, that he's just a jerk to whichever kids happen to be near him at the time.  Either way, the school staff should address it with the child.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

Yeah, sounds like this is what they are doing currently. Extra monitoring in the lunch room and ensuring that they are separated. Sounds like he was seeking out my son but is picking on some other kids as well.

There was one additional issue on the playground but is sounded like DS approached him because he was doing something that DS thought was "naughty." I informed DS that he needs to worry about himself and stay away from the kid!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited October 2014
    DS had an incident several weeks ago in the cafeteria before class, a kid scratched his hand and DS screamed loudly and got the monitor's attention. The teacher then called us and the scratcher's parents and removed the scratcher from the classroom and told the whole class how sad she was that someone hurt her friend (DS). I haven't heard about any more problems since. I hope your son's teachers nip this in the bud and keep an eye on the trouble makers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard of things like this. I don't know that I would consider it bullying yet, but certainly could lead to that if the child isn't taught appropriate behavior.  Sounds like your son handled it well which is great.  Makes me also feel sad for the mean kid- he is so young, and clearly hasn't been taught how to act by his parents. 
  • Options
    While you did the right thing sending an email to the teacher - I can almost guarantee that the school is aware of his misbehavior and is handling it, privacy acts won't allow them to discuss the child nor actions in handling him either. Your child is handling it the right way -,telling a responsible adult a d trying to avoid the "bully"

There is a child in DS' class who is known for misbehavior, we went to a birthday party of a classmate where we were able to witness the boy interacting with some of his classmates and his parents. The boys mother could care less and his stepfather sounded like a nagging broken record. So, sometimes the problems start from the home-they let him misbehave and rough play with his classmates to a point where others avoided him
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"