Natural Birth

If you can't take classes...

I live in a small town and the classes I want to take either aren't available or are during times I have to work.

I was hoping to take a Bradley class and a hypnobabies.

I am planning a natural hospital birth. I'll have my wonderful OB, my amazing DH, my mom who is a midwife, and my doula all present as my support team.

What can I do to help prepare myself if I can't find a way to take these classes? I've been reading a lot, but specific books or articles are appreciated, as are any personal experiences and tips. This is my first pregnancy.

Re: If you can't take classes...

• I have heard "Natural Birth the Bradley Way" is a good one. I have not read it, though I think I may try to this time around. I have also heard good things about "The Birth Partner" being a good one for whoever you want your birth coach to be, if you want one. Both are fairly inexpensive on Amazon. I may be getting those myself, actually. 
    M15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Movie GIF
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Thanks ladies! I will look into all these things.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree about those books and also just reading plenty of positive birth stories. They help you get into the right frame of mind and also realize every birth is so different and there is a wide range of normal surrounding birth.

https://mamabirth.blogspot.com/p/birth-stories.html?m=1
  • @margaritachikita‌
    Thank you for that link! I'm always on the hunt for good birth stories.
  • good question! i on the other hand couldnt afford all the latest classes out there, so i bought the bradley, hynobirthing book, ina may's birth stories book...all have helped prepare me much more comprehensively than a regular hospital birthing class (that one was the worst in terms of helping me).
  • If you are thinking about The Bradley Method and Hypnobabies, you really need to pick one or the other.  Hypnobabies does not recommend taking/practicing both methods simultaneously.  They are not complimentary.  I personally did Hypnobabies with my first and plan to with this baby as well.  I recommend the home study course.  You don't need to take a class.  The success of the method is in a commitment to DAILY practice, which you would do at home anyway, even if you took a class.  Not to mention, the home study course is cheaper.  You can actually buy used courses on eBay.  Check there first.
  • Than you, @LilTiger15 . Thats really useful information, I had no idea that hypnobabies and the bradley method weren't compatible with each other, though I'm sure I would have figured it out after doing the research. I'll look into which method I want to study in-depth and go with one or the other. 
  • I read Natural Birth the Bradley Way and it teaches you what you need to know about the Bradley Method for birthing. Just make sure you keep up with the exercises and your husband gets involved. It takes a lot of practice and can be harder if you aren't in the classes.

Many times you can talk to instructors about doing a mini one-on-one class during hours that work for you. It would be more expensive probably but is worth a shot if it's very important for you. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • For what it's worth, I am doing both hypnobirthing and bradley method. I see them not at methods, but just tools for relaxation and pain relief during labor. I've never had a baby before and have no idea what will work best in that moment for me. With the hypnobirthing, my friend just gave me her cd and I use the track to guide meditation. I think it will be very helpful in early labor and compliment the Bradley method very well. According to the book "Natural Birth the Bradley Way" once labor is really underway you should be laying down and fully relaxed. The hypnobirthing soundtrack helps with deep relaxation. I also see myself playing it in the car on our way to the birth house. We will be taking private Bradley lessons and have an instructor at our birth, so will likely use a lot of the Bradley method but she is totally supportive of listening to whatever relaxing things I want to during labor. The goal of both is full relaxation, and having both in your arsenal can't hurt. But I see how doing both sets of courses and being fully committed to each would be pretty difficult and confusing, so I wouldn't recommend that approach. Just thought I'd share my semi-hybrid approach :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • sounds like you have a great support team, which is key no matter what you choose. I would recommend the Mayo Guide to pregnancy, since you won't have a class you want to learn everything you can (natural/non natural etc) so that you aren't caught off guard.

For Bradley, if you can't do a class, it's really important that your husband be involved with the reading materials/exercises. We did Bradley and my husband learned a ton and is very supportive, but knowledge is crucial because things don't always go as planned, and it's different for every woman.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• also, FYI--hypnobirthing and hypnobabies are completely different programs.  They are not the same.  Hypnobabies' program has multiple CDs that are part of the program.  Self-hypnosis/hypno-anesthesia is not the same as deep relaxation. 
  • If anyone is looking, I have a Hypnobabies Home Study Course for sale. Also, when you're done using it, you can just resell it and get the money back. That's what I did. Let me know!
  • My hubby and i had the same scheduling problem with our first baby. We ended up just reading the Bradley Method book over and over again together and practicing the exercises and other tips they have together until we knew it really well and my husband was confident. It went really well for us and i had a great pain-med free labor because my hubby was such a good coach from having read the book so many times. So just read read read it  and know it :) you are going to do great!
  • nofrogsnofrogs member
    edited February 2015
    My plan is to do the Pink Method (breath and internal work daily from 24 weeks, its on Amazon), and read Hypnobirthing and Mindful Childbirth.

If Bradley appeals to you, but it just isn't working out logistically, I think that Birth Bootcamp online might be a good fit for you. It is supposed to be a more updated version of the Bradley Method. $295 is a little pricey for an online class, is the only drawback. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"