Multiples

shots .. and preemies

Well we just had our four month shots, the doctors go by actual age not adjusted. Wow this sucks, they have been crying for two days now. I asked to space them out because their two month really was horrible. All they did was push their Hep. B shot out.. ??? what?? I think they tricked us and didn't want to deal with us coming back. My kids were born 8 weeks early and I don't know if that is a factor in how they feel. I don't know what I'll do when they actually get sick (flu or cold etc) at the same time and it lasts longer. I know this is only the beginning. 

How do you momma's cope when they both cry non-stop for days when they are sick? 
imageimage

Re: shots .. and preemies

• OdebdoOdebdo member
    edited October 2014
    Thankfully the shots have not bothered mine much...they slept more....but if you want to space shots out...remember you are the mom...tell them what they can give them and then make an appointment to go back. I dread them getting sick at the same time....not sure it would be better if one gets sick and gives if to the other right as they get better though. A few drinks probably would help @AshB62‌ lol
    Me, 36
    DH, 44
    TTC since 2008
    IVF in Oct 2013
    5R, 4F, Only 2 blasts made it, both transferred
    10-31-2013 = BFP
    TWINS!! Due July 11, 2014
    Lillian & Harrison born at 33w1d on May 24, 2014

• My twins are 34w and we have always done shots based on actual age. They do suck, I know.

Have you been giving Tylenol? It seems to really help my kids when they are feeling kinda punky.

• Loading the player...
  • Alternating Tylenol and Motrin for the babes.

Mine were also preemies, but vaccinations are given based on actual age not adjusted age.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • Tylenol and warm baths have helped ours so far with shots.  Luckily mine haven't been sick yet but when my oldest was little there was a lot of cuddling and rocking when he didn't feel well.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I thought it was over on day two but middle of the night on day three the screaming started again around three and didn't stop unless they zonked asleep for twenty minutes and then started again. I will forever have baby Motrin and Tylenol on hand, I wish I would have had it ... Thank you momma's (Alcohol, hahaa ;) )
    imageimage
  • Oooh good to know AshB62 thanks
    imageimage
  • You are the parent and have all rights over your childrens' health care. You do not have go by any recommended vaccine schedule. Here is an article to help parents with the bullying and pressuring that often takes place in the doctors office. https://journeyboost.com/2014/10/05/what-do-i-say-to-my-doctor/
  • RynleighRynleigh member
    edited October 2014
    If you are genuinely seeking an education regarding vaccinations, epidemics, and health, please consider taking some free online college courses through coursera.org. While you can pay to earn a certificate of completion in these courses, you can participate in each one 100% free without paying anything if your goal is only to learn. 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Thank you @ekreps‌ . I have been looking for more info, DH and I do not agree on this. ... :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our twins were born at 32 weeks also. They have a horrible time with vaccines- they are fussy for 7-10 days afterwards. So this last time (6 month) we only did 2 of the combination vaccines and will catch up at 9 months. It made a huge difference. Our office will also do one vaccine and then schedule a shot appointment for the next month to keep on track - wish we would have done that. Shot appointments are not well visits so they have a copay.
  • It was so bad from the original post time that I have already asked for back up baby holders this December (6month shots) @nebrasskagal‌ could you please share with me the combo shot you split up or how did you ask for the separation of shots. You can pm me or share here but I am desperate. They both lost weight and well...it was hooooorrible! My doctor isn't budging on splitting them up and this time around they were short so she told me I would need to be put on a waiting list if I didn't get them on schedule and would not say how long that wait would be. :( Tylenol didn't help, baths didn't, holding cuddling etc was a joke... An outsider would have thought we were letting them suffer a torturous death
    imageimage
  • Oh and I don't care if we have to pay out of pocket or more copayments the nonstop screaming and no eating was unbearable for me and most involved with helping, I had one person quit and one refuse to come back until it was all over.
    imageimage
  • @Lisasugar‌ sorry for the delay in responding- it has been a crazy wrk! We did the pneumococcal and dTap (or Tdap I can't remember off the top of my head which one is for children.)

Our Dr said it is okay to wait until 9 months for the other vaccine. They also offered for us to bring them in for a shot visit. Shit visits are with a nurse.

It made such a difference to just wait on one of the vaccines, the kids bounced back much sooner, didn't need as much Tylenol and they felt better afterwards. I wish I would have split up the 4 month shots by doing some that day and some at 5 months

Hope you find what works for your children. Hugs.
  • How are your babies now? I've been thinking a lot about them and praying for you. It can't be easy. Some babies react to some of the shots, or some of the ingredients in a particular shot. It says on the VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System) page: VAERS is primarily concerned with monitoring adverse health events and we encourage reporting of clinically significant adverse health events following vaccination.  AND
    Please report all significant adverse events that occur after vaccination of adults and children, even if you are not sure whether the vaccine caused the adverse event. https://vaers.hhs.gov/esub/index
    They are trying to make vaccines safer by getting full and complete reports on every adverse event. Crying for many days straight, fever, and seizures are all adverse events.

Babies that have a bad reaction to one shot might be contraindicated to get further shots. That is described in the manufacturers recommendation in the vaccine inserts they supply. You can find most of the different vaccine inserts on line to read through them before getting any further shots.  I hope your babies are well. It's no fun having sick or unhappy babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"