Micro Preemies

DS2 not wanting friends?

So, DS2 is now 20 months (16 adjusted). He has very limited exposure to other children except his brother who is 4 years older then him. So, in between doc appts and therapies I have recently been taking him to a smaller playground with toddler and SN equipment. He has absolutely no interest in other kiddos. He is nonverbal so I was thinking that could be part of the issue. He will sit next to me and walk around a little with assistance. I have tried to introduce him to other LO on the playground but he wants nothing to do with anyone else. Have you ladies seen your MP being social? I am starting to worry...

Re: DS2 not wanting friends?

• He plays with his brother but mostly plays solo. He is not really even into watching other little ones play. He is in PT once a week, OT once a week, and ST twice a week. It has never been brought up in therapies but I am thinking about bringing it up this coming week. His therapist have been so focused on motor skills, balance issues, and teaching him to sign so he can communicate that social issues have been on the back burner...
  • (hugs) For Anna it seems to be the opposite. She LOVES other kids or "babies" as she says over and over, but she doesn't know how to play with them. Often at the gym daycare I'll come back to find her on the other side of the room as the other kids playing by herself. Once she was near a little girl trying to do a puzzle, but Anna just kept throwing the puzzle pieces and laughing because that's how she plays at home. The other girl got frustrated and walked away. I know not being able to move like her peers has something to do with it, but it's sad to see. We're just going to keep trying!

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Loading the player...
  • @Usm123‌ thanks for the advice! I talked to our therapist team and they said at his age they are not overly concerned with his social interaction with kids his size. They said since he interacts well with all of the therapist and his family that right now he does not need to be pushed to interact with little kiddos. I still worry but like you said I am going to keep taking him out to playgrounds and maybe a play group just for him to feel out the situation. Baby steps...

@jbranden12‌ that is awesome that Anna loves other kids and babies. I understand what you are saying about playing with the puzzle. DS2 does the same thing with blocks. He learning in therapy to stack a few blocks and then knock them down trying to teach him "B" sounds by saying "BOOM" when they fall. He has not decided to talk but he will knock down ANYBODY'S tower that is built. So kids don't want to build around him! Like you said, I am going to just keep trying. I thought about joining a mommy group to see if he likes that.
  • I wouldn't be concerned about not wanting to make friends at that age or even not wanting to play with others. Just the repeated exposure to others his age will help. Not all kids are going to be social no matter their story. I would also try taking him to the library for story/toddler time (if they have them near you). That's where my kids first started to watch other little ones and start to figure out how to even play near someone. Most kids don't play with others until they are at least 2y. Your older child may have been better at the social spectrum, but I wouldn't count out your younger one catching up eventually.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"