Babies on the Brain

Getting off Mirena

Hi all. So I am getting my Mirena IUD out November 4. We have decided to use barrier birth control until Feb 1st and then start TTC. I'm super nervous about getting the IUD out becuase its been in there for almost 4 years and the insertion was not pleasant to say the least. My husband is 24 and I'm 23 been married almost 4 years and are both at a healthy weight and lifestyle.

Any suggestions?

Re: Getting off Mirena

• I've heard that the removal is way easier than the insertion, for what it's worth.  I suggest learning about your cycles by temping/charting.  You can learn how at www.fertilityfriend.com or by reading the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.  I also want to remind you that it is perfectly normal for it to take up to a year for a healthy couple under the age of 35 to conceive, so don't get too stressed if it doesn't happen in the first few months.
  • Removal was super easy. They asked me to cough and they pulled and voila. I did get withdraw bleeding for 3 days.
  • Loading the player...
  • I saw stars during insertion and basically did not feel the removal.  If you are nervous, call ahead and ask if they reccomend you take anything-- they might say you can take ibuprofen.

I also had withdrawal bleeding.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Removal is a piece of cake compared to insertion. I got the w/d bleeding the next day and then a "real" period about 30 days later. Good luck!
    Me: 34 DH: 34
    Married 3/22/14
    Baby #1 GIRL EDD 2/4/2015
    FVL/History of PE/Gallbladder removal 8/7/14 @ 14w1d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a rare and painful reaction to the insertion of my first Mirena (when I got the second one my OB gave me a shot beforehand and it still wasn't pleasant). Removal was so easy, I might've felt a quick pinch.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • I agreed with previous posts : the removal was waaaaay easier than the insertion. I got it inserted by a intern and it hurt really bad for an entire week. My family doctor removed it and I barely felt a thing.

Just FYI, my doctor advised me to wait one cycle after the removal to start TTC, as MC are apparently more common with women who get pregnant the first cycle after the Mirena is removed. So we waited one month, using condoms, and the month after that, we started TTC and got our BFP right away.

Good luck!
  • Removal was a lot easier than insertion. I had a horrible time when they put it in, I will never get another. But the removal was easy. And yes, I saw you're using a different birth control for a few months, that's good because I got pregnant right away and I had a miscarriage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"