May 2015 Moms

I. am. so. confused.

When the hell does the second trimester start?! I'm 13 weeks today and thought all along that it started on week 13 but now I'm hearing week 14? I've been Googling this all morning and nothing is making sense. Then I found this fancy calculator and there are so many dates to choose from. I'm baffled!

It's a girl!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I. am. so. confused.

• I was so excited about getting to week 13 only to have to hold off for 1 more week! This is blasphemoy! 
    It's a girl!

• I am confused about that too!  I thought at first it was 12 weeks ( which doing the math doesn't make sense) but yes I have read 13 and 14 so not sure...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My understanding is that there are 14 weeks in each trimester so technically week 15 is second tri...

• My doc swears by 14.  Said that a lot say 12 (3x4)... but she said with those extra two weeks at the beginning, before you're actually pregnant, its 14.
    Me: 30  DH: 29

~ Cautiously expecting #1 on May 2, 2015 ~

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Most "resources" will say that you finish out first trimester in your 13 week.  Week 14 is the start of the second trimester. 

Or as PP said....eternity. 
    Siggy/Ticker Warning

IVF #1: August 2012 Lupron Protocol | 8R 8M 8F |Transfer 2|BFN
    IVF #2: April 2014 Antagonist Protocol|12R 11M 10F|Transfer 2|BFP | m/c 5.8.14 
    FET#1: Transfer Day 8/29 | BFP | Beta 1: 302 Beta 2: 732
    U/S shows two beautiful heartbeats at 122!!
    Lost Baby B at 9 weeks 
    Baby A is our stubborn little fighter with a heartrate of 169!

Team BLUE!

• Now it's considered week 14.  I think the old school way of thinking was 12 weeks.  Although I still get a little confused if 2nd tri starts on 14w0d or at the end of 14wks.  I think 14w0d?

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • T1green said:

This was a bad question to ask people with pregnancy brain.  Haha! 

I just devided 40 by 3 and got 13.3 repeating but if you round it then it's just 13.  So 13 weeks?

My thoughts exactly! I swear, I have common sense, but what is the deal?! It makes absolute sense to just do simple math, dividing 9 months by 3 but "sense" is not coming so easily to me these days. Literally everything I read is conflicting. I guess I could do the logical thing and just ask my OB at my next appointment, but what's the point of the internet then if I can't just Dr.Google everything??
    It's a girl!

• This hurts my brain more than it should. Math.

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • The trimesters are not equal in length.. Dividing does not tell you the answer.
  • Technically- 13 weeks and 2 days.
  • Wait until the kid is born. It's how many months old? :-/
  • From what I've been reading and hearing, the 2nd trimester starts at week 14. So you have to complete week 13 to be finished with the first tri.
  • My Dr said 13w2d. Funny that there are so many different answers!
  • This thread just made my brain explode.

But... my doctor says week 14.
  • Most I've read/seen/been told by my doc is 2nd tri starts at beginning of week 14. 

But I am loving the logic on everyone's answers, keep em coming.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• 8-}

~Mama to two daughters and baby #3 coming soon~
  • My Dr said 13w2d. Funny that there are so many different answers!
    Both my old OB and midwife said this. So did a few books I had. But-- whether you go with 13wks and 2 days or 14 weeks, it's close enough.
  • So I will be 13 weeks on Monday....is that technically the "start of week 14" and thus the second trimester?  I feel like I should not be this confused by this concept, ha.
    BFP: 8/26/2014
    EDD: 5/4/2015

It's a girl!

My little ladies - Lola (RIP), Cecilia, and Peggy Sue

• 14 weeks. Third starts at 28.
    Mr + Mrs: 09/06/2009 
    Daddy + Mommy: #1: 07/02/2011 EDD#2: 05/22/2015
    baby development
  • I can't decide if this thread made me smarter or dumber.  I've always heard 13 full weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• lgsdesignerlgsdesigner member
    edited October 2014
    Try this ladies:

From site:

The three basic ways to calculate trimesters

There are basically three ways of dividing up a pregnancy into the three trimesters; they are by: 
    Development,   Gestation,   Conception. They give different dates for when the second trimester begins and for when the third trimester begins. Your health care provider might prefer to use theDevelopment method, while another Midwife or Doctor may use the Gestation method. 
    I am sure they do that just to confuse pregnant women.  Big Grin

by Development:

This uses actual developmental stages to divide up a pregnancy. From LMP to 12 weeks the embryo develops all the major organs and becomes a fetus. From 12 weeks to 27 weeks the fetus continues developing and reaches viability. From 27 weeks on the fetus finishes development and prepares for delivery. Here the second trimester begins at 12w 0d and the third at 27w 0d.

by Gestation:

With this method you take the 40 weeks of gestation and divide into three equal stages. Here the second trimester begins at 13w 3d and the third at 26w 6d.

by Conception:

This method is where you take the 38 weeks of post conception development, divide by three, into the three equal trimesters. Here the second trimester begins at 14w 5d and the third at 27w 3d. 
  • Months do not translate in to weeks in pregnancy. It is not calculated like 4 weeks And 9 months. Week are gestational weeks which means they are counted from your last period (which is before fertilization occurs). Month is calculated from supposedly fettilization period. So you could say im 13 weeks pregnant or for example i go to a new month every 4th of a new month. Thats for instance. Hope that helps!
  • I find it hard to believe that people actually think their are only 4 weeks in a month. I know I'm an accountant and my brain just works that way. I've always realized not every month is 28 days so it's not possible to be 4 weeks. My husband doesn't get it either. Why doesn't everyone not think like me :-)
    I'm an accountant too.  Struggle is real yo.
    Me: 30  DH: 29

~ Cautiously expecting #1 on May 2, 2015 ~

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I swear I am a reasonably intelligent adult but my mind is totally blown at the realization that a month does not equal 4 weeks. How have I made it this far without realizing this?!? Understanding trimesters is definitely being added to my "can't even" list during this pregnancy along with touching raw meat and sleeping through the night.
  • It is confusing with all the conflicting info. I think it's 40 weeks divided by 3. But, it doesn't really matter anyway.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm just going with 12 weeks. It's what the prevailing thought was when I had DD so I'm sticking with it. AND it makes me feel better :-)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • The American pregnancy association which is what dr's go by says it starts with week 14 and goes through week 26.
    Mother to Joelle (13), Jaxen (3) and Jayla (due 5/6)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Probably 14 week :( nothing about pregnancy makes sense, not even math ;)
  • Does this mean I have closer to another month of sickness instead of just two weeks?!?!?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"