April 2015 Moms

Stupid Question, Sorry- FTM

amystanamystan member
edited October 2014 in April 2015 Moms
Morning ladies! As the title states I have a stupid question that maybe has been asked here before, but I am also unable to figure out the search function. I already googled, but I trust you ladies more than women from the other random forums on the web. Ok here goes. I was planning on having baby in a cradle downstairs in our bedroom when they are born for the first few months, for a few reasons. 1. I feel like being on two different floors will be a pain waking up all the time for feeding 2. My sister in law said it was a good idea and 3. It'll be nice for us to keep an eye on baby. But do any of you have experience with this? I'm thinking maybe it's a bad idea, because maybe then it's difficult for them to get used to a crib later on? Ideas? Advice? Experience? In gratitude, I include a gif. (Edit because I can't get it to load, either way it was a picture of the girls from 2 broke girls saying " I thought the whole point of google was to not ask questions out loud") 

Re: Stupid Question, Sorry- FTM

• Our master is on our main level and the nursery is upstairs. With dd she was in our room until 7.5 months. First in a rock n play, then I transitioned her to a pack n play to get used to sleeping flat, then at 7.5 months up to her crib. I actually should have done it at about 6 months but it was fine. It's very common for baby to be in your room especially when they are still feeding in the middle of the night. DD stopped her last feed at 5 mo but was a pain with a pacifier so I kept her in the room.
  • @redneckmomma25 awesome, thank you. I seriously am starting to feel more and more stupid. I just don't know enough about babies. Bookstore here I come. 
  • Loading the player...
  • amystan said:

@redneckmomma25 awesome, thank you. I seriously am starting to feel more and more stupid. I just don't know enough about babies. Bookstore here I come. 

Books are a good place to start but a lot of it is just learning as you go. Every child is different and ever situation is different. DD needed her own crib and space. Some kids don't.
  • We also have a cradle that we used with DD and will use with this baby. I pulled it right up to the side of the bed so I had easy access to her at night. She had no trouble at all transitioning to her crib in her own room at 9 weeks - it was harder for me. I recommend a cradle, PNP or co-sleeper over a RNP unless your baby is colicky and will only sleep at an incline. I know a lot of parents who had trouble transitioning out of the RNP to the flat crib. Not everyone has that problem, but a lot of friends of mine did.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is great! Thanks ladies! Good to know my momma instincts about the cradle by the bed were actually right! 
  • bowman958 said:

We also have a cradle that we used with DD and will use with this baby. I pulled it right up to the side of the bed so I had easy access to her at night. She had no trouble at all transitioning to her crib in her own room at 9 weeks - it was harder for me. I recommend a cradle, PNP or co-sleeper over a RNP unless your baby is colicky and will only sleep at an incline. I know a lot of parents who had trouble transitioning out of the RNP to the flat crib. Not everyone has that problem, but a lot of friends of mine did.

We did not have trouble transitioning. Even if we did it was worth the good sleeping.
  • That's not a stupid question! Google is a wonderland of misinformation about baby sleep. Start with books for up to date information and your friends and family for anecdotal advice.

A lot of people start with baby in their room. Studies suggest that newborns regulate their heart rate, breathing, and temperature better when mom and dad are closeby. It also makes nursing a million times easier! If you ever plan on bed-sharing, really look into safe-sleeping guidelines. We have done it with a lot of success, but it does involve sleeping without your big fluffy comforter, for example.
    Me: 27
    DH: 34

Ticker id: Q1i7

Lilypie - (qjIQ)

Building a family since 12/29/12!
  • To help the transition, you could gradually start putting baby in crib for naps. It worked well for us - baby and parents....you get used to having your LO so close, it was hard to put her so far away - but we got over it quick :)
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • We had DS in our room in a bassinet for the first 8 weeks. Moved him to his crib at that point because I needed him to be used to it before I went back to work. He transitioned with no problem and has been STTN ever since (I actually think moving him helped with that bc we didn't wake up at every little noise and thus wake him up). We got lucky that our son has always been an easy baby, but as PPs have said, every baby is different.
    imageimage
  • With my daughter she started out in her own room and it was so nice to never have to deal with a transition. But with this baby it's not going to work out that way and we will start her out in our room. I'm hoping for 6 weeks to 3 months max! I don't want to creat a stress for the baby when we do move her so I want to do it as early as possible.
  • It's common to have baby near you in the first few months. DS slept in a bassinet in our room until he was 2.5 months and then we transitioned him to his crib in his own room. Having them on the same floor is definitely helpful in the middle of the night. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• All my babies (4) have slept in my room for the first 4-6 months. Otherwise I would have been jumping up every 2 minutes to check on them and no one would get any sleep.
  • I already have two DD's. I had them both in the bassinet for about 2 months before I moved them into their own room. A lot easier with how much they wake up in the first few months. I will add that my oldest daughter slept SO much better in her own room and crib starting at 8 weeks old, this is also when she started sleeping through the night!
  • I co-slept with DD but it kind of worries me with twins. So I think we'll be doing two bassinets in our room for as long as we can take it. I'm planning to go back to work at 3 months, so we'll see how long that is ...
  • It also depends so much on your baby. We had a bassinet all ready in our room for DD. We tried putting her in it for a week, and every time we'd lay her down she'd wake up and cry. One night I was holding her and had to use the bathroom. I layed her in her crib quick so I could go, and lo and behold, she stayed sleeping... she has slept in her own crib ever since (and pretty much refuses to sleep anywhere else).

BabyFruit Ticker

TTC #1 since July 2010
    July 2011: Referred to RE, started Letrozole
    August 2011: BFP #1! M/C @ 5wks
    September 2011 - September 2012: test, after test, after test... S/A, HCG, B/W... Diagnosis: unexplained infertility. Letrozole, Metformin... nothing.
    September 2012: Diagnosed gluten intolerance; now living strict GF diet.
    November 2012: BFP #2! MM/C @ 6wks (discovered at 8wks). 2 rounds of Misoprostal - nothing. D&C December 2012.
    May 2013: BFP #3! Hoping this one sticks! 4x prometrium/day EDD: 01/25/14
    06/03/13: 1st u/s We have a heartbeat! Team green!
    01/24/14: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    08/05/14: Surprise BFP #4! (Unmedicated, no pp period, EDD unknown)
    08/15/14: 1 u/s We have a heartbeat! Measured 6wks 2 days. EDD 04/08/15. Team green!
    04/08/15: Team green turned team pink. Baby girl was born!
    03/29/16: BFP #5! (Unmedicated, 1 cycle TTC) EDD: 11/09/16

• I agree with PP that it depends on the baby, and your family. With both of my kids so far, we've kept them in our room for 2 weeks, then moved them into their own cribs.
    Once I was moving around better, I actually preferred to go to the nursery to breastfeed for MOTN wakings. It's peaceful, warm, and cozy in there. Baby and I actually slept better when we couldn't see/hear everything the other did.
    Plus, DH stays home for 2 weeks and during that time, he gets up for the MOTN feedings to change baby. When he went back to work and I was on maternity leave and nursing, I figured I would let him get more sleep and leave the room.
    I say set up what makes sense to you now, but be flexible if it isn't working for you.
  • Our DS slept in a bassinet in our room until he was too big for it, then we transitioned him to a pack n play (also in our room). Actually we now bed-share as he is 16 months old. We live in an old house that is hard to heat and cool so we close off extra rooms. For the first almost year of his life, the nursery was closed unless we needed something in there, because we couldn't afford to heat it, plus it was hard to heat. My tip is to put the baby in various places to sleep, so they'll sleep anywhere. He took naps in his bassinet, pack n play, crib, on the sofa (with me sitting beside him so he wouldn't roll off), a little rock n play that reclined into sleeping position, pallets, on a bed with guard rails... So on. He sleeps ANYWHERE now.
  • @amystan‌ thanks for the OP
    & PP, thanks for the recs. So helpful as a FTM
    Also, any preference for the RNP & PNP?
    J+J 05.12  .  N 04.15  .   No.2 due 06.17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With our 1st LO we did the RNP and PNP in our bedroom. Transitioning to the crib was very easy luckily.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My kids both started out sleeping in a Pack-n-play in our room and then later transitioned to the crib without issues. DS actually would only sleep in his swing for the first 3 months and I was worried about the transition but it worked out just fine. To help transition I had them start taking naps in the crib and slowly worked toward sleeping in there at night. We used Baby Merlin's Magic Sleep Suit to help DS transition to sleeping flat before we moved him to the crib.

In regard to PNP vs RNP, I didn't want a RNP because I wanted something that would last longer and people on my first BMB had a hard time transitioning away from them since the babies got used to sleeping on an incline. Honestly I think DS would have done really well in one, but we already had a swing and a bouncer and couldn't justify something else.
  • @amystan‌ I'm glad you asked this question as our master is downstairs as well. Being a FTM mom also, I feel like I don't know anything about what to do with a newborn and this was one of my questions. I'm glad to get all this input! Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"