November 2014 Moms
Options

Freezer meals (quantity)

I started making freezer meals last week and have a small stash started -- 4 crock pot meals and 5 pasta meals. It sounded like a good amount before I started cooking but now it seems like there isn't that much. I didn't do any cook prep before DS was born and am trying to be more prepared this time. :)

So, I'm curious...if you're making freezer meals, how many have you made (or planning to make)?

I did a search of previous freezer meal posts but they were about what to make -- not really how much.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Freezer meals (quantity)

• Options
    jess123456jess123456 member
    edited October 2014
    I have 19 nights for the two of us covered right now. I've just been making large portions of dinner and freezing the rest so it's less overwhelming. I'll probably continue to do it until baby comes (about 2 weeks left until my due date). I feel like November is going to be cheap for grocery shopping with a lot of dinners covered.
  • Options
    I made about 10, but even stored flat in freezer bags I just don't have room for much more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have about 30 freezer meals and my mom and mil live within 3 miles of us so will fill in the blanks with meals for us. I made 5 last time and they were awesome to have those first few days.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I planned on doing a whole month but that didn't happen. Right now I have 5 done, finishing up some cooking today and will probably have about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks worth total, which will at least be somewhat of a sanity saver in the first few weeks.
  • Options
    I didn't have many last time since he was early, but what I did have was so useful! I don't know, we maybe had 8 or 10. But even that small amount is SO helpful in the early days. But rather than have a concrete goal, this time I'm just trying to make them when I can and keep doing so til baby arrives. Whatever you have will be great, and the more the better, IMO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow! Those with 30+ meals are rock stars! That pretty much validates that I've got more cooking to do (lol)! Not sure if I'll be able to store that much but I definitely have room for more meals. It will be so nice not having to worry about what's for dinner after the LOs are here. @jess123456‌ I mentioned the same to DH (cheaper grocery bill next month). He liked that! Haha. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've only made 5 dinner recipes, but I made them in large quantities.  So if I break it down by meals, probably somewhere in the 20-25 range?  In addition to that I have about 2 dozen frozen muffins, and maybe 20 frozen single-serve crustless quiches that are easy to take out 1 or 2 at a time for something really quick.  My mom also made 2-3 freezer meals for us.

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Options

Wow! Those with 30+ meals are rock stars! That pretty much validates that I've got more cooking to do (lol)! Not sure if I'll be able to store that much but I definitely have room for more meals. It will be so nice not having to worry about what's for dinner after the LOs are here.

@jess123456‌ I mentioned the same to DH (cheaper grocery bill next month). He liked that! Haha. :)

I certainly hope so, because I've spent a LOT this month! The combination of freezer meal recipes on top of normal groceries, plus lots of eating out because I don't feel like cooking, is killing me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This is giving me major guilt! I have none. I'm hoping to make a bunch on my first week of mat leave, but the newest problem is that our freezer is jam packed so I don't really have room for any. I'm looking at buying a small used deep freeze as I think it will be handy. There's lots of used ones for under $100 which I think is a pretty good price.
  • Options
    This site seemed pretty helpful as far as what to make and how much:

https://newleafwellness.biz/2013/12/09/baby-freezer-meals/

That being said, I've done nothing :-P
    October Challenge: How I feel about the 3rd trimester:

Throwback: Hubby and I on our first date (Nov 2007), and then again on our wedding day (Nov 2012)

• Options
    I now feel like I need to leave work and start prepping more! Lol. We only have a few meals done so far. I was going to do some more between this weekend and next, though. Ideally I would like enough for the first 2-3 weeks at least.
  • Options
    I have none but I plan on making a few this weekend. I was kind of stressing about it since my due date is8 days away.
  • Options
    My goal is to have at least a few weeks worth. So far I have only 11 lol. My friend is coming over Sunday to help me out a bit so I'm looking forward to that, so long as I don't pop early like everyone is predicting lol
  • Options
    I have 6 dishes. Each should be 4-6 meals, so 24-28 servings or 12-14 meals for DH and I. We have been making a larger dinner over the weekend and freezing 4-6 portions in a freezer bag.

We have been making mostly soups/stews/chili in the crockpot. I find 4-6 serving s fills a gallon size bag half way. Then I place the bag in a metal loaf pan  to freeze, so we end up with a stack-able "block-o-stew" (as we have been calling them).

These 30 meal people are putting me to shame. I would need more time and a bigger freezer! Luckily my mom is going to put together some cassaroles for us to add to the collection when she comes to visit post baby.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    Holy crap...30?!!?  I thought I was doing well with 9!  I was so proud, hahaha.  Better get on it!  I can imagine how helpful it will be when baby comes.  So far I've frozen stuffed peppers, pulled salsa chicken with rice and veggies, 2 dinners of beef stew, 2 dinners of chili, mac n' cheese and lasanga.  I will do more next week! ... unless baby decides to come of course.

• Options
    jess123456jess123456 member
    edited October 2014
    k1911 said:

Holy crap...30?!!?  I thought I was doing well with 9!  I was so proud, hahaha.  Better get on it!  I can imagine how helpful it will be when baby comes.  So far I've frozen stuffed peppers, pulled salsa chicken with rice and veggies, 2 dinners of beef stew, 2 dinners of chili, mac n' cheese and lasanga.  I will do more next week! ... unless baby decides to come of course.

Stuffed peppers are a great idea. Did you cook the meat before putting it in the freezer?
  • Options
    I think I have about 20, my goal was to make enough for two months, so I figure that plus ordering out and family dropping off meals will get us through!
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

• Options
    @jes123456 yes I did! I made 8 stuffed peppers and fully cooked them.  To freeze them, I wrapped them all in tin foil individually and put them in a tin foil tray and covered them again with tin foil. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"