Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

potty chair

I think it's time to get DD a potty, as she has started telling us after she poops, and has asked to sit on the toilet now.  I was just curious if you use a separate chair, or a seat that goes on the big toilet, and why?  I'm trying to decide what to get.  We're not really ready for full on potty training by any means, but since the conversation has started, I'd like to at least have a potty available for DD to try out, but I'm not sure if its better to do a separate chair for her or just a seat so she is used to the normal toilet...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         

Re: potty chair

• We use the ring on the potty versus a separate chair.  The reasons are I don't have to clean a little potty and then I don't have to worry about transitioning a second time.  It also makes it a little easier to use public potties or potties at someone else's house.  
  • I have a cute Minnie Mouse potty chair that is actually a 3-in-1 thing.  Put together it's a toddler's training potty with the removable bowl and a fake flush handle that plays cheers and hoorays when flushed.  It splits apart into a seat that fits on a regular toilet to help little ones sit better and a stool to help them step up to the regular toilet.  It's currently in our half bathroom on the main level and DD will sit on it whenever I use that bathroom or if my mom is watching her.  She's not all that interested in potty training yet so I just have it there for her to get used to.  We have started a nightly ritual of me holding her on the big potty before she takes a bath and while she doesn't do anything she does ask to "use the potty" so I'm just happy she's not afraid of it.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have both, but the little potty chair is MUCH easier for my son to use. He still likes to use the seat on our big toilet sometimes, but honestly it's a pain because he wants to arrange the seat backwards and upside down and then I have to help him up and then he wants to get down and re-arrrange, etc. The potty-chair just sits on the floor and he can use it whenever he wants. I don't find it difficult to clean. We just dump the pee in the toilet after each time and then fill it with water, swish around, and and dump that too.
  • I liked the ring on the toilet for my oldest son, I didn't like cleaning out the potty chair.
  • We have a potty chair.  From a muscle standpoint, it's important for them to have the floor to brace themselves to allow for their urinary and bowel muscles to relax.  If you do a ring on the regular seat, make sure you have a stool that's high enough for feet to touch.
  • we have both, and she changes between which one she wants to use.  Pros of the insert are that you don't have to clean out the potty and they get used to sitting up high so it is easier to use a regular toilet when you are out of the house.  Cons of that one are they can reach the toilet paper, flush, and you have to lift them and hold them there.

The little potty is probably what LO prefers most-- it is just her size, she can get on and off herself etc.  But it is a pain to clean, and she still will have to eventually use the big toilet.  In particular, her daycare will only use the insert on the regular toilet.

Like you, we are just having the potty available and giving her a chance to use it. So far, I am liking this approach to potty introduction!

• we have both. he mostly uses the big potty by himself, occasionally w/ the separate seat on top. thankfully he's only ever pooped on the big seat, but sometimes he does like to pee in the little one. it's how we started him ages ago when he was too small to fit on the toilet. it's perfect now b/c his little brother can go on the little potty while he goes on the big potty. we also have a portable potty chair that we bring out w/ us. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think we are going to get the separate chair.  @kjsmith9 our Parents As Teachers Educator just told me about that this week as well, I had no idea!  I think it will easier to just get a separate potty then to have an insert and a stool.  We CD so it's not like I'm not used to washing poop and pee out of things :)

Thanks for your input!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • ashiscute said:
    We use the ring on the potty versus a separate chair.  The reasons are I don't have to clean a little potty and then I don't have to worry about transitioning a second time.  It also makes it a little easier to use public potties or potties at someone else's house.  
    This.  I had to lift DD up to the big potty for a few months, but now she's tall enough to climb up on her own.  I don't want to carry a little potty around- I'd rather have them learn on a regular potty. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"