Breastfeeding

Need encouragement,,, i really want to breastfeed!

So I was told to not get my hopes up about breastfeeding because I have PCOS... any ladies with PCOS successfully breastfeeding?

Annnnnd my other hurdle... I was a pre pregnant 38C, now I'm wearing a 40 D.... my nipples are pretty much non existent... is there anything I can do before baby comes/after delivery to improve my odds? I'm a FTM and I know how important BF'ing is for baby/myself and I really want to be successful, I didn't get a chance to ask my questions at the breastfeeding class I went to.

**siggy warning**

Me: 30 dx w/PCOS 7/13

DH: 31
TTC 11/12
started Metformin 9/13
HSG, tubes open but narrow uterus... f/u with RE 3d u/s everything 'normal'
2/14: hopefully 1st IUI... timing off before trip, waiting until 4/14
3/27: POAS= BFP!!!
3/28: beta#1: 108
4/2: beta#2: 799
4/11: u/s 6w1d EDD 12/4, 1 little penguin!

7/7:  We're having a girl!
12/11: after lots of labor/delivery/nicu excitment baby Piper Mae born 1859 @ 8lbs, 21.5"

Re: Need encouragement,,, i really want to breastfeed!

• I have nearly flat nipples.  When I was engorged, it was difficult for LO to latch.  My LC had me hand express a little into a towel and then (this is super hard to explain online) gently pull my nipple out before offering it to LO.  This made my nipple stand out a bit more.  The more LO nursed, the better my nipples looked.  I only had to do this process for a few weeks.  Hopefully that made sense.
  • I can't see how many weeks you are on my phone, but there's no reason you can't get some one-on-one support/guidance from an IBCLC before the baby comes - or even just find one now that you can call in the first couple of days if you need help (so many of us need help at the start, go so many reasons, and having an LC to troubleshoot is SO helpful). GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Lurker here. I agree about finding a good lactation consultant. Mine gave me these things called Supple Cups. You put a little lanolin around the edge, squeeze the silicone cup and put it on your nipple. It helps pull the nipple out. I wouldn't recommend those until after delivery though, I used to fill them with milk and have to dump the milk into a bottle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"