January 2014 Moms

Have you tasted formula?

DD has been EBF up until now but my supply has tanked and I decided to supplement. She has taken a bottle that had a little milk in it but when I put the formula in it she refused it. I tried it myself and YUCK! Tasted a little metallic and pretty nasty all around. Is that normal? Lol!

Oh I bought the Nestle Good Start, powder if that makes any difference.

So has anyone tried formula themselves? Is that how it actually tastes?

Re: Have you tasted formula?

• Yep, I probably tried 10 different kinds. DD is on Hipp organic and it tastes like skim milk. We love it. She was also on Holle for a while and that too tasted like skim milk. US formula taste the worst, like fishy metal. The best among US brand was a generic organic formula.
  • Earth's Best makes an organic formula I've heard good things about. I've not tried any myself.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, formula does have a metallic taste due to the iron content that it is fortified with. If possible, try mixing a little formula with breastmilk and gradually increase the amount as she gets used to it. You can't really find a formula with no iron in the U.S. as I believe it is mandated for all formulas to have it. 
  • I couldn't bring myself to try it when DD was using formula.  She was on a medical formula and it smelled awful, but she didn't seem to mind in the least. 

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Thanks everyone! I will keep trying to introduce it mixed with breast milk.
  • amt0312 said:
    Yes, formula does have a metallic taste due to the iron content that it is fortified with. If possible, try mixing a little formula with breastmilk and gradually increase the amount as she gets used to it. You can't really find a formula with no iron in the U.S. as I believe it is mandated for all formulas to have it. 

This. I did like 1/2 formula and 1/2 breastmilk in one bottle. And slowly increased the amount of formula after a few days. Finally I got her to take 4 ounces of formula mixed with 1 ounce of breastmilk and from then on she's taken formula fine. Good luck!

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• bethughkneebethughknee member
    edited October 2014
    I have a compulsive need to taste everything I feed DD. I tasted my breastmilk about 100 times and since we are using all freezer milk now I taste it each time just to be sure.

When we started using formula it was Similac for Supplementation and I thought it tasted a lot like my milk. It's all very sweet like @itsmeally said. We have since switched to Similac Advanced and I think that tastes even MORE like my milk. I really don't care for the smell of formula but the taste wasn't that different, IMO.

I really miss smelling my fresh breastmilk and yes I know that makes me crazy.

ETA: I never mixed formula and breastmilk. Formula is only good for 1 hr after starting a bottle and sometimes bottles are a fight if DD is distracted. I NEVER wanted to dump my milk. DD took a formula bottle just fine as long as it was warm. (When we first started.) Now she takes room temp formula no problem.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Yeah its gross. DS was on formula for a bit and it was nasty to me but he didn't seem to mind.

• chicki1012chicki1012 member
    edited October 2014
    DS is on similac and it doesnt taste all that bad. I cant stand the smell of it though and DS chugs it down like theres no tomorrow, so he never had a problem with taste 
    Edit: cant fricken type.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"