Secondary IF

Continue Progesterone?

After my 1st IUI cycle at 14dpo/dpiui I had a beta of 11, 16dpo/dpiui it was 31. I wasn't surprised that I started spotting that night, again the next day and had light flow the following two days.  This morning I did blood work (20dpo/dpiui) to confirm that I had a negative beta and could start taking Clomid tonight to begin the next IUI cycle. 

I started bleeding heavily today, but then got the call that my beta is now 240. 

The nurse is adamant, despite the now heavy bleeding, that I should continue taking Progesterone until my next blood draw on Friday. 

Although right now I am pregnant and according to beta base there is possibility of going on I feel like this heavy flow is wrong and continuing with Progesterone may just draw this out when I want so much to move on if this isn't working.   

Would you continue to Progesterone in this situation?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since April 2012

Year 1 - nothing

Year 2 - two m/c

Year 3 - unexplained diagnosis & 4 failed IUIs with Clomid/Letrozole

Year 4 - still unexplained & 3 failed IUIs with Follistim & Ovidral

Year 5 - trying on our own

Re: Continue Progesterone?

• I would continue it until your next beta. It's only a couple more days. Good luck!
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Thank you!  This cycle not working means my daughter will be 5 before any future potential sibling would be born and it's making me feel in a rush, but it is only a few days until the next beta and hopefully by then either the bleeding will stop with a great beta, or a negative beta so I can move on.  Either way.

TTC #2 since April 2012

Year 1 - nothing

Year 2 - two m/c

• Loading the player...
  • This is tough. My gut is saying it sounds like it might be ectopic with all the bleeding, but right now your betas are increasing as they should- so I think you should stay on the prog get the next beta, and get an U/S asap! They will do an U/S just to confirm the sack when the beta is over 1K- so if it gets to that point, just rule out ectopic as early as you can. You could be bleeding for something else, but a lot of times when you have heavy bleeding in very early pregnancy (with rising betas) it could suggest ectopic. 

Good luck! This is so stressful! 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This scares me. Sounds a lot like my ectopic experience. I had a period and betas kept rising. I also continued progesterone hoping it woul be viable. I think for me I wanted to give it the best shot I could, although I sort of knew the entire time it would end badly. I'm sorry you are going through this. Fucking awful.
    Me: 36, DH: 36
    DH's SA = normal
    1 tube only wonder
    AFC 3-5, AMH 0.30

BFP #1 3/29/11.  EDD 12/4/11... Missed m/c 5/9/11. Cytotec fail. D&C 5/17/11.
    BFP #2   7/5/11.  EDD 3/14/12... Our rainbow Kellen born 3/14/12 via c/s.
    BFP #3 5/30/13.  EDD 2/8/14...  6wk u/s HB 126. 8wk u/s lost HB. D&C 7/12/13.
    BFP #4 2/18/14.  EDD 10/30/14... Ruptured ectopic with L tube removed & D&C 3/7/14.
    BFP #5 7/27/14.  EDD 4/9/15...  m/c @ 5w4d.

IVF #1    Oct 2014 - antagonist protocol: 9R, 7M, 5F. 3dt of 3 Grade 2 embies. BFN. 
    IVF #2    Jan 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.  Converted to IUI #1. BFFN
    IVF #2.1 March 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.

BFP #6  (SUPRISE!) 3/19/15.  EDD 11/30/15...  CP at 4w2d.
    IUI #2:    Clomid + Follistim = 3 follies. BFN.
    IVF #2.2 May 2015 - horrible response to micro lupron flare protocol: 3R, 3M, 3F. 3dt of 2 Grade 3 embies. BFFN. 

BFP #7 (beyond surprised again!) 4/26/16. EDD 1/5/17. beautiful betas!!!! and then near-fatal hemorrhagic corpus luteum. turns out baby was ectopic after all; another lap 5/6 (@24dpo).

the universe can fuck off.

"You are overly paranoid and delusional that every one is out to get you." -lastsliverofhope

all AL welcome. TTC #2 for 43 44 months.
    follow my infertility journey here at timestandsstillblog.com

• This is helpful - thank you! Knowing what might happen is good, ectopic hadn't crossed my mind. Did you just start feeling the pain with your ectopics? Or was it shown at an u/s? 

TTC #2 since April 2012

Year 1 - nothing

Year 2 - two m/c

• ksvend said:
    This is helpful - thank you! Knowing what might happen is good, ectopic hadn't crossed my mind. Did you just start feeling the pain with your ectopics? Or was it shown at an u/s? 
    I never had any pain with the first one, but it was very early, and DX with u/s. Second one I didn't have pain until it ruptured but it was literally like and intense bursting feeling, then there was just some cramping and major internal bleeding. Most people do not get any pain indicating there is a problem until it's too late. There are other little indicators, betas not rising appropriately, or heavy bleeding accompanied with good betas. Sometimes there's no signs at all (my 2nd) I had no bleeding, great betas, everything seemed perfect- then one day my tube ruptured and almost killed me but by that point my beta was over 9k- so an early u/s would have show there was nothing in my uterus. 

I would try not to dwell on the worst case scenario, but be aware of it, because like Jodee mentioned too, it does sound very similar to our ectopic experiences. It could be something else though, it's possible it was a subchorionic hemorrhage.

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would continue with the progesterone until your next appointment.  Sending positive thoughts for a good outcome!
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

My Ovulation Chart

• @ksvend i had no physical symptoms until i was bleeding into my abdomen and then it was pain pain pain. my betas were always really low but rising. u/s could never pick up anything in my ute but did find a mass in my L fallopian tube (baby). just make sure doc is watching you like a hawk, freq HCG draws because when it gets high enough they can actually SEE where baby is. i'm sorry you are going through this :(
    Me: 36, DH: 36
    DH's SA = normal
    1 tube only wonder
    AFC 3-5, AMH 0.30

BFP #1 3/29/11.  EDD 12/4/11... Missed m/c 5/9/11. Cytotec fail. D&C 5/17/11.
    BFP #2   7/5/11.  EDD 3/14/12... Our rainbow Kellen born 3/14/12 via c/s.
    BFP #3 5/30/13.  EDD 2/8/14...  6wk u/s HB 126. 8wk u/s lost HB. D&C 7/12/13.
    BFP #4 2/18/14.  EDD 10/30/14... Ruptured ectopic with L tube removed & D&C 3/7/14.
    BFP #5 7/27/14.  EDD 4/9/15...  m/c @ 5w4d.

IVF #1    Oct 2014 - antagonist protocol: 9R, 7M, 5F. 3dt of 3 Grade 2 embies. BFN. 
    IVF #2    Jan 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.  Converted to IUI #1. BFFN
    IVF #2.1 March 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.

BFP #6  (SUPRISE!) 3/19/15.  EDD 11/30/15...  CP at 4w2d.
    IUI #2:    Clomid + Follistim = 3 follies. BFN.
    IVF #2.2 May 2015 - horrible response to micro lupron flare protocol: 3R, 3M, 3F. 3dt of 2 Grade 3 embies. BFFN. 

BFP #7 (beyond surprised again!) 4/26/16. EDD 1/5/17. beautiful betas!!!! and then near-fatal hemorrhagic corpus luteum. turns out baby was ectopic after all; another lap 5/6 (@24dpo).

the universe can fuck off.

"You are overly paranoid and delusional that every one is out to get you." -lastsliverofhope

all AL welcome. TTC #2 for 43 44 months.
    follow my infertility journey here at timestandsstillblog.com

• I'm so sorry for how hard this is. I agree with what everyone above already said and I wish you the best.
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • ksvend said:
    Thank you!  This cycle not working means my daughter will be 5 before any future potential sibling would be born and it's making me feel in a rush....

That's tough. That was me a little earlier this year. Won't help much but you're not alone. I've come to terms with it now that 5 is just a number. When you're ready, just set a new time in mind. For me now it's just a hope to get pregnant before my 33rd birthday (next May).
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Thank you all so much. I'm still bleeding heavy and ready for Friday morning to be here so I can get a new read. And I will push for an u/s asap based on your advice. I'm so happy that my husband gets back late tonight because anything that happens will be easier with him here :).   

TTC #2 since April 2012

Year 1 - nothing

Year 2 - two m/c

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"