May 2014 Moms

Ahhh, sexism & backwards thinking at its finest.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ahhh, sexism & backwards thinking at its finest.

• I heard about this on the news this morning. WTF was she supposed to do? The fact that she was even able to get out of the house and make it to court is impressive enough with a 5 week old. Shame on this judge. 
  • I just skimmed through it. But wow, what an A hole!

It's a BOY

• Loading the player...
  • edited October 2014

I'm curious if she knew what the court dates were going to be when she took on the case. If she knew and just expected the judge to work around her anyway I do think it is a bit much. I also wonder if she could have had another lawyer fill in for her from her practice.

I declined a few projects that would have had to be presented during the time I was planning on being on maternity leave because I knew I would not be able to make it happen without having others bend over backwards for me.

Edit - I just reread the article. The lady is solo so she couldn't have had someone else step in, but she did know what the court date was before she took on the case.

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• Sorry but the more I think about this the more it irks me. It's not sexism that the judge found it unprofessional to have a baby in court. I think any employer would find it unprofessional to have your baby with you while meeting with clients/customers. I have a feeling if a dad had done the same the judge would have reacted the same. I really wish people would quit crying foul where there is none. This isn't about the judge not respecting her maternity leave, he stood by his original ruling of when the hearing would be held. The lawyer disrespected her own mat leave plans by taking a case she shouldn't have.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• I agree with needing a back up plan. Where is baby's daddy? Or at least a friend that can care for the baby for the hearing even just outside the courtroom. Geez she doesn't live in a bubble. I work for a court and this wouldn't fly. Although our judges probably would grant her motion to continue in a heartbeat.
  • I agree with needing a back up plan. Where is baby's daddy? Or at least a friend that can care for the baby for the hearing even just outside the courtroom. Geez she doesn't live in a bubble. I work for a court and this wouldn't fly. Although our judges probably would grant her motion to continue in a heartbeat.

The article I read said that he is a truck driver and was OOT. Regardless, if that's their lifestyle (one I have lived for almost 2 years) then she needs to form some sort of support system and have back ups.

Anniversary 

• That's a couple I would not expect... A lawyer and a truck driver. Nothing against either but seem like totally opposite sides of the spectrum.
  • How do we know she knew she would be gone? We don't know how close to her due date she delivered. At five weeks, she might not have pumped enough milk for someone else to give if she's EBF. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • britab said:

How do we know she knew she would be gone? We don't know how close to her due date she delivered. At five weeks, she might not have pumped enough milk for someone else to give if she's EBF. 

She requested a delay because she the hearing fell in the middle of her scheduled maternity leave. She knew. Sorry, she just should not have taken the case. If she hadn't assumed then this all could have been avoided.

Anniversary 

• That's a couple I would not expect... A lawyer and a truck driver. Nothing against either but seem like totally opposite sides of the spectrum.

I thought the same. More power to them if they're happy but it does seem odd.

Anniversary 

• This country has a highly individualistic approach to everything, including the raising of children. In many places, the whole community does everything possible to support new moms and babies. I'm all for personal responsibility, but I also recognize that this country's approach to maternity care is unique in all the world and far less supportive. Perhaps she could have managed it differently, but perhaps she could be treated with respect for her situation instead of shamed. Of course women are dropping out of the workforce when they are scolded for trying to manage it all and not doing it perfectly.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't stirred the pot and gone MIA. I think you all raised good points, but I will comment at work when I have more time to bump.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Exactly what @zolten‌ said. My guess is she may have stretched the truth in order to get public attention.

• pandadair said:

I agree with needing a back up plan. Where is baby's daddy? Or at least a friend that can care for the baby for the hearing even just outside the courtroom. Geez she doesn't live in a bubble. I work for a court and this wouldn't fly. Although our judges probably would grant her motion to continue in a heartbeat.

The article I read said that he is a truck driver and was OOT. Regardless, if that's their lifestyle (one I have lived for almost 2 years) then she needs to form some sort of support system and have back ups.

The rest of the topic notwithstanding, I'd love to know how one can just form a support system. Like that. As if it hadn't occurred to her. I know I need one, but I can't exactly approach randos at the grocery store about it. I'm actually in a tight spot with work for this very reason, and my only solution right now was to tell my husband to offer whatever amount of money it took to get someone from his work to come entertain our baby for a couple of hours after work tomorrow.

I understand you can't just make people appear but she interacts with other lawyers, people in her office, and a lot of other places to get to know people. Also, there are ways to find reliable sitters. I'm sure she could have had her secretary sit outside the courtroom with the baby for the short time she would have been in there. Strapping the baby to her chest wasn't her only option.

Anniversary 

• zolten said:

We dont know that is really what/how the judge said it. Honestly, people stretch the truth all the time to make someone look worse than they really are.

I'm pretty sure the article states that opposing counsel corroborated her story.

Not sure why she'd want public attention, when she was humiliated...

imageimageimage

• zolten said:

If I was a man and knew I would be unable to work during a certain period of time, I would not take a case knowing I would have to be in court during that period of time. The court date was set before she accepted the case. That's my biggest issue. For me, its not an issue of gender/sexism at all.

Again, I think you're missing the point, cases are granted continuances all the time for reasons less important than maternity leave. The point is that he stated maternity leave was not a reason enough to grant a continuance. She is not in the wrong here. I love that you all passed on big projects and such because of your leave, you clearly don't understand how the legal field works, this is absolutely the norm for attorneys to pick up cases and request continuances.

imageimageimage

• If I was a man and knew I would be unable to work during a certain period of time, I would not take a case knowing I would have to be in court during that period of time. The court date was set before she accepted the case. That's my biggest issue. For me, its not an issue of gender/sexism at all.
    Again, I think you're missing the point, cases are granted continuances all the time for reasons less important than maternity leave. The point is that he stated maternity leave was not a reason enough to grant a continuance. She is not in the wrong here. I love that you all passed on big projects and such because of your leave, you clearly don't understand how the legal field works, this is absolutely the norm for attorneys to pick up cases and request continuances.
    My understanding was not that he thought maternity leave wasn't a big enough reason - it was that she accepted the case AFTER the date was set for the hearing knowing she would probably not be available/on maternity leave - I think he even wrote that on his denial.  Maybe I'm wrong.
    But again, because cases are continued to new court dates all the time, every day for reasons stupid or not stupid, it wouldn't have been a big deal to accept the case knowing she was on maternity leave and knowing she could request a continuance. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• zolten said:

If I was a man and knew I would be unable to work during a certain period of time, I would not take a case knowing I would have to be in court during that period of time. The court date was set before she accepted the case. That's my biggest issue. For me, its not an issue of gender/sexism at all.

My understanding was not that he thought maternity leave wasn't a big enough reason - it was that she accepted the case AFTER the date was set for the hearing knowing she would probably not be available/on maternity leave - I think he even wrote that on his denial.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Well, he in fact cited both reasons for his denial. "No good cause" and hearing date set prior to accepting representation. Again, in the legal field, it's very common to accept a case and then file a motion to continue to familiarize yourself with the case, or because you have other matters set for the same time, etc., so for her to assume he was going to approve it, is not unreasonable.

Seems to be like he just wanted to abuse his authority.

imageimageimage

• Honestly, I don't see how any of this has to with sexism or taking a step backwards. Was the judge being an ass? Yes. Was he overstepping his boundaries? No.  

• So I looked at the dates in the article I read (didn't read this particular one, don't need to read the same story a billion times). She accepted the case 4 weeks and 3 days prior to the scheduled hearing. The baby was 4 weeks old. So she accepted the case when she was literally going to go at any point. That is where my argument of shouldn't have taken the case comes from.

I like to think of myself as a very compassionate person. However, I don't want taken advantage of. I will get pissed when someone makes plans and just assumes I will adjust my schedule accordingly. I'm guessing this judge is the same.

Anniversary 

• IBackBevo said:

Honestly, I don't see how any of this has to with sexism or taking a step backwards. Was the judge being an ass? Yes. Was he overstepping his boundaries? No.  

This has everything to do with sexism and taking steps backwards.  It has everything to do with how our government and our society: 1) devalues Motherhood/child birth/child rearing and 2) sets unrealistic expectations that mothers are supposed to be back doing their regular activities as soon as they leave the hospital.  The later  isn't good for mother and it isn't good for baby.  It promotes ppd and leads to women beating themselves up if they can't do it all as soon as they step foot out of the hospital while their body is still recovering and they are having to care for a newborn baby.  And it certainly affects the bond between a mother and a baby---a bond that can affect a child well into adulthood.

With respect to the former, America has some of the worst maternity leave laws. I think I read a statistic just the other day that only about 10 percent of women receive some paid maternity leave...that statistic is abhorrent and reflection that we don't value those (i.e. Mothers) who invest in the future of our country. Many other women don't qualify form FMLA and get no leave (paid or unpaid) at all.  Further, we have some of the highest incidences of child-birth (and after birth) related fatalities among first world countries despite having some of the best medical care.  I don't have specific stats, but I would be willing to bet that at least some of that is related to women pushing themselves to do too much too soon and not giving themselves proper time to heal. 

When you make it difficult/impossible for Mothers to work, you lose valuable members of our workforce. It isn't good for our economy or our country as a whole.  And it isn't good for the individual family unit. 

Likewise, when you force women back into the workforce before they are emotionally or physically ready--in a time period when they should be concentrating on healing and bonding with their child--you  fail to invest in our children...in the very future of our country.

So how is all of this relevant to the situation at hand?  Here we have an example of a member of our JUDICIARY---a leader in the community by an definition of that word--basically perpetuating all of those bad things I said above with his outdated views.  In my mind, that is unacceptable and something that every mother -- working or not -- should be upset about.

I would hands down agree with you if she was told she would not have a job had she not taken this case even though she was about to have a baby. Nobody forced her to take a case that would result in her having to figure out a way to show up in court right after having her baby. She made that decision on her own. Judge's can move dates, but they are not required to.

• edited October 2014

Judges move hearings all the time. All.the.time. For big reasons or little reasons or even no reason at all. I have a case that has been continued more than 10 times, no questions asked.

This judge was being an ass and trying to make some example of her.

As for saying she shouldn't have taken the case knowing there was a hearing, that's just not fair. If she is a solo practitioner and her h is a truck driver, they are not rolling in cash, trust me.

I do agree with you about the judge being an ass. I understand that judges can move dates without questioning it, but they are not required to. That is my point. From what I got out of the few articles I read on this matter is that she knew this judge was known to be an ass about moving dates.

I cannot agree nor disagree in regards about her money situation. I know a few truckers who make good money, and I know a few who are not. The article says nothing about their annual income. For all I know they have made a couple good investments and are rolling in money, or they could be barely scraping by.

• IBackBevoIBackBevo member
    edited October 2014

So I looked at the dates in the article I read (didn't read this particular one, don't need to read the same story a billion times). She accepted the case 4 weeks and 3 days prior to the scheduled hearing. The baby was 4 weeks old. So she accepted the case when she was literally going to go at any point. That is where my argument of shouldn't have taken the case comes from.

I like to think of myself as a very compassionate person. However, I don't want taken advantage of. I will get pissed when someone makes plans and just assumes I will adjust my schedule accordingly. I'm guessing this judge is the same.

So basically your argument is that pregnant attorneys or attorneys who are new Moms can't take on any new cases just in case 1 asshole judge refuses to do what thousands of other judges in this country would do. Mmmkay.

Oh and you effectively saying you would not being willing to make a small accommodation to your schedule for a new mother doesn't make the judge right. It just makes you wrong, too.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • IBackBevo said:

So I looked at the dates in the article I read (didn't read this particular one, don't need to read the same story a billion times). She accepted the case 4 weeks and 3 days prior to the scheduled hearing. The baby was 4 weeks old. So she accepted the case when she was literally going to go at any point. That is where my argument of shouldn't have taken the case comes from.

So basically your argument is that pregnant attorneys or attorneys who are new Moms can't take on any new cases just in case 1 asshole judge refuses to do what thousands of other judges in this country would do. Mmmkay.

Oh and you effectively saying you would not being willing to make a small accommodation to your schedule for a new mother doesn't make the judge right. It just makes you wrong, too.
    Wow. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said I would be pissed. I did not say I wouldn't make the accommodation. But thanks for telling me I'm wrong.

Anniversary 

• IBackBevo said:

Wow. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said I would be pissed. I did not say I wouldn't make the accommodation. But thanks for telling me I'm wrong.
    You're welcome. ;)
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • #sarcasm

Well that's a productive comment...

Anniversary 

• #sarcasm

Well that's a productive comment...
    Sorry, I totally agree with you!! I just find it funny that you were being sarcastic and she (maybe?) didn't get it. Thought I'd help out.
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"