September 2012 Moms
Options

A reading ? for moms with older kids

Anyone start working on reading with your older kiddo? DS loves books and is expressing interest in learning to read, but I honestly don't even know where to begin when it comes to teaching phonics. Is there an app for this (kiddingnotkidding)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A reading ? for moms with older kids

• Options
    DS is *just* starting to learn to read 3-letter words. At home, I work on sounding out each letter with him. He pretty much knows what sound each letter makes & that some letters have hard & soft sounds.

The biggest stride he's made, though, is b/c of an approach his preschool teacher is using. She has the kids help her make a list of words all ending with the same suffix (so basically rhyming words). Most recently, they made a list of "-et" words, for example. She sends home a copy of the list of words they made in school & then he has to trace & write them on his own. Because he knows all the words on the page end with the "et" sound, he is able to sound out the first letter & then put it all together to read the word. 

We haven't used any apps or electronic methods...except for SuperWhy episodes, of course!

• Options
    James has been doing well with sight words and I am working on CVC words now too. We do CVC activities like matching a picture to the word (we do this a lot) and I made worksheets for his Leapfrog magnet letters to spell out words and sound them out. I also write a couple words down and have him circle them in a book (with pencil) while we read it. I mainly do this with the sight words but will probably expand to more words soon. 

I asked on here last week about online programs that help with reading because I am a bit lost in my approach beyond what we already do. As winter comes and we spend less time outside, I plan to have him spend time on the computer with learning to read games. ABCmouse and Starfall were recommended.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eric is loving Sight Words and also the Very Early Reader set from Usborne is awesome!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    amandad715amandad715 member
    edited October 2014
    Awesome ? @melody921‌ I'll be following this. I'm a teacher too (4th grade) but I don't have ANY experience with pre-reading skills just when I read about it 13 years ago in college. :\">. I was going to ask a kindergarten teacher that I work with too, what would be some good learning activities to turn into fun games. I'm not very creative, hence why I teach upper grades not early childhood.
    I need to get my act together with some "after day care activities" for us to do together and some for Jack to do independently while I cook dinner. It's not much time between day care pick up and dinner/bedtime, but now that soccer season is over we've been doing a combo of running errands, playing outside, playing inside and watching a show to keep them busy.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Maya's school is actually having a parent assembly tomorrow to introduce the reading curriculum and then they're going to show us how they implement it in the classroom so we can mirror it at home. We haven't been doing anything so far but we will be once we learn what to do tomorrow.
  • Options

Maya's school is actually having a parent assembly tomorrow to introduce the reading curriculum and then they're going to show us how they implement it in the classroom so we can mirror it at home. We haven't been doing anything so far but we will be once we learn what to do tomorrow.

Report back. Would love to hear what they suggest for st home.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    Report back. Would love to hear what they suggest for st home.
    Yeah. I'd be curious to hear as well.

• Options
    Couple other things that I remembered last night that I plan to do this winter for inside activities. I bought some of the Bob book collections. And I am going to turn their little table into a listen and read station with some audio books, headphones, and the print version of the book.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Wow -  now I'm wondering if I'm not doing enough at home!  You ladies are awesome.

We really practice reading letters in everyday activities.  We have a few different placemats that Brody will read to me while I'm making breakfast or while he's waiting for dinner.  Since one is a map of the US, he'll pick a state and spell it to me so I can tell him what the name of the state is.  While we were driving the other day he started spelling a word to me, "Mom, what is S-E-A-R-S?"  We were driving past the mall.  lol. 

One thing that Brody's new school does that I'm loving is that they focus on one letter a week - maybe you could do something similar at home.  They talk a lot about what words start with that letter, how to write that letter and the different sounds it makes in the words.  So we carry that forward at home.  

Apparently I need to do more with sight words, that's not something we've practiced yet - but probably should.  I also think I'm going to check out ABC mouse.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    kelbel527 said:
    Wow -  now I'm wondering if I'm not doing enough at home!  You ladies are awesome.

We really practice reading letters in everyday activities.  We have a few different placemats that Brody will read to me while I'm making breakfast or while he's waiting for dinner.  Since one is a map of the US, he'll pick a state and spell it to me so I can tell him what the name of the state is.  While we were driving the other day he started spelling a word to me, "Mom, what is S-E-A-R-S?"  We were driving past the mall.  lol. 

One thing that Brody's new school does that I'm loving is that they focus on one letter a week - maybe you could do something similar at home.  They talk a lot about what words start with that letter, how to write that letter and the different sounds it makes in the words.  So we carry that forward at home.  

Apparently I need to do more with sight words, that's not something we've practiced yet - but probably should.  I also think I'm going to check out ABC mouse.
    Daycare does this letter of the week too. I guess I just need to build on that at home.

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited October 2014
    Scavenger hunts are fun too. You can include both kids by giving them a bag and a list of like 5 things. The S12 gets pictures with the starting letter, the big kid gets letters/words. Have them collect things from the house that match their list.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Here's the report. They said that the focus at this age (3 and 4) should be comprehension. It's good if they can recognize letters and words, but they asked us to focus on comprehension at home to build their interest in reading. This way they understand how great reading is when they start really teaching it in kindergarten-2nd grade. They said we should read a story and ask questions like who is it about, where did it happen, what do you think will happen next. They said we can alternate and read the story with the questions one day, then the next, have the child tell you the story. If they can read or recognize words, encourage it. They said it should be very collaborative. They also suggested having the kid draw a picture of the different parts of the story. Having them draw the characters in the book on a piece of paper or draw a picture of the place it took place in. They said it should be about building their enthusiasm for reading at this age. They suggested reading at least 20 minutes a day. Mobile
    Thanks! Reading chapter books really helped with comprehension. We always talk about what we read the previous night before starting the new chapter. I'm going to start having him draw things about the books we are reading. That sounds fun.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    Keagan still doesn't recognize at least half the letters :( he has no interest. But he does love reading with me

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"