April 2015 Moms
Options

Need advice: Husband seems not to give a damn

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm freaking out and need some advice. It took us three years to finally get pregnant (IVF finally worked), including a miscarriage a year ago, and my husband really seems like he's not excited at all. And maybe doesn't care about me either. I'm about 16 weeks pregnant, and I can't get him interested in talking about any of it. He's never looked at a single baby book (except when I read it to him or force one into his hands--he's polite then, but clearly unexcited), he doesn't want to talk about names or registries or anything. When I ask if he wants to listen to the heartbeat with the doppler, he says no thanks and goes to do something else. He's moved out of the bedroom into the guest room, he says to let me sleep better. He's not the type to have an affair (just trust me on that), but I'm really worried and he won't talk to me about this. When I've tried he says he is excited and won't really explain any of this behavior. I know he thinks I'm a crazy person with the hormones these days, too, but I'm not crazy enough to make all this up. He's decided what he really wants to do is a "green audit" of the house, and he's been inviting various contractors into the house to talk about options. When I tell him that maybe we have other things we'll need to spend money on in the house, he says that this will save us money so it won't be a problem (but what about the $4000-$5000 bill??). You'd think after we tried so long that he'd be excited, but nope. 

Has anyone else's husband checked out like this during pregnancy? 

Re: Need advice: Husband seems not to give a damn

• Options
    Maybe the reality of it all is a little scary for him and he is taking longer to realize it all?
    Has he gone with you to the doctors apts? Sometimes that helps men to bond. Hopefully if you give it a lil more time he will come around, def communicate your feelings with him but try not to let your hormones get the best of you! :)
    Good luck and I hope he gets excited soon!!
  • Options
    Thank you, he does come to the dr's, except for one he couldn't get off work. Doesn't seem to make a difference. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe he doesn't want to get connected just incase if you loose the baby (God forbid that!) he won't be upset. This is just what I get from it. But I could be wrong. I'm sorry you feel this way and I hope he comes around.
  • Options
    No advice really but sending thoughts and prayers that things get easier on yall.
  • Options
    The only thing that strikes me as really odd is him moving out of the bedroom. My DH never did any of the other things either, but he was very excited for the babies. He just wasn't into dr appts, books, etc. My DH is also obsessed with home improvements - he's currently spraying foam into every nuk and cranny around the house and we spend a ton on insulating our 100 yr home. This is our 3rd kid, so I'm used to his non-interest in pregnancy.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    Just an idea--one thing that helped my husband to "get it" a little was taking the birthing class our hospital offered.  He was a little on the clueless side of things and it was a big eye opener for him.
  • Options
    My husband isn't the type to sit and talk about our pregnancy or get overly excited.
    I do think that him moving out of the bedroom is strange.
    Men aren't mind readers. Express how you feel to him. Sometimes husbands don't get the reality of it until the baby is born.
  • Options
    Yikes, I agree with PP who said that maybe he's trying to protect himself from being hurt from loss.  Keep him involved and keep being honest with him about how you are feeling. GL to you and your LO.  T&P for a healthy baby
  • Options
    lneice0160lneice0160 member
    edited October 2014
    It sounds like he's nesting almost. It might be his way of being interested, by making your home better for the baby.

Until I sat my DH down and made him talk to me he didn't know what was going on I my head. Once I explained how he was making me feel, he explained how I'm the mother and I'm the one that is pregnant, he wanted me to make choices since it's my body and not pressure me. He still hates to talk and won't read the books but I know he cares, I'm sure your DH does as well!

Edit: We had two miscarriages before DD and two before this pregnancy, my DH just tried not to get his hopes up until we were into our second trimester, so "he could be strong for me, he didn't want to be attached" (his words)
  • Options
    What pp said is my DH - his way of caring for the family is making sure the home is ready. His role is pretty passive when it comes to pregnancy so I think these other things are ways they can contribute. Being "supportive" doesn't always compute.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    I agree with all PP. So I will just say that you'll be in my t&p and hopefully things will ease up. I'm sure they will.
  • Options
    Maybe reality hasn't hit him yet? They say a woman becomes a mother the moment she finds out she is pregnant and a man becomes a father when he sees his child for the first time. Or maybe the reality of it all has yet to sink in for him? PP suggestion of a birthing class might be beneficial to him getting on board with this pregnancy. I certainly hope things turn around for you and your husband. This should be an amazing and exciting time for you. I'm sending lots of thoughts and good vibes your way for some change. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Men and women prepare differently, for a new baby, but in the end we both end up excited and thrilled to hold a new LO. Bare with him, he will get there.
  • Options
    Maybe since he won't talk to you, you can tell him how this is all making you feel. Be honest without blaming
  • Options
    My First thought when I read your situation, as PPs have said, was that he didn't want to get attached because of your loss history. I also agree that you need to communicate your feelings. T&Ps your way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My DH gets more excited than me, but when we had a suspected miscarriage he was very detached from the whole thing because (his words) "we weren't 100% sure it was a miscarriage and it was easier to hope it wasn't and not get terribly upset then it was to accept the idea that we had lost". Maybe your husband is kinda doing the same thing, it's easier not to get obviously emotionally attached so if there was a loss, it wouldn't be as painful?
    As for the house stuff, maybe it's his own way of letting out his emotions and he is preparing for the baby even if he doesn't realize it??
    The moving out of the bedroom thing is weird and if you don't like it, I would just tell him. My DH got to where - for awhile - he didn't sleep well in the bed. I don't know why. It was really random and he would go out and sleep on the sofa. I HATED it and asked him to please try and sleep with me. He listened and did. Now he will occasionally wake up early in the morning, go out and watch tv and fall asleep again out there. That doesn't bother me as much.
  • Options
    So many great responses by PPers. I had similar frustrations with DH early in my last pregnancy. For some reason it didn't "hit him" until later in the pregnancy when he could feel the baby move/etc. I freaked out in the beginning (probably hormones) for no reason in the end. He got excited when he was ready to....and let me tell you...he's an AMAZING father who this time around is very excited. Plus - he's never read a pregnancy book to date no matter how many times I asked - BUT he did go to classes with me. Maybe he would enjoy that more? And for moving out of the room - talk to him and ask what that's really about. Maybe he's nervous and stressing and just needs some peace and quiet. Hopefully it'll get better for you two soon :)

imageimageimage

• Options
    Thank you, it's good to hear that this is normal behavior in men. Seems like a lot of good advice here. 
  • Options
    I know a lot of people have responded, but since my husband is like this, I had to chime in. I think we expect too much from men. They just are NOT women. And they're all different. Don't be jealous of someone whose husband acts like he's the pregnant one. He is who he is.

My husband didn't act interested in any of my previous 3 pregnancies, or this one either. Even when I'd try to put his hand on my belly when the babies were kicking, he'd take it away because he just didn't care until he could actually see the baby. I promise you, this is NO indication of how he will be as a father when the baby is here. Put yourself in his shoes. It's just not real to him yet, and clearly he's preparing in his own way.

My husband is at least polite enough to listen when I babble about pregnancy stuff, but I can tell he just wants to get out of the room! I try to be sensitive to him too, because this is just how he is. When I was young and stupid with our first pregnancy, it bothered me, but I'm totally over it because I see how much he loves his kids. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    It sounds like he's just being very cautious. This is pretty normal for men, especially with your history of loss. Try to be patient and give him some time. I'm sure he'll come around.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    my husband has freely admitted: it just hasn't sunk in.  i feel excited about things because i can feel myself changing and can (almost, hopefully soon) feel the baby really moving.  he is just a bystander who cannot participate in any of those things.  sometimes, they show excitement in other ways.  maybe him making the house "baby ready" is your DH's way of pitching in.  and if you've suffered loss/fertility issues, maybe he's just trying to not get attached to the idea until he feels it's a sure thing.  i'm sure he'll come around.
    Together since 5.16.05 (16 & 19yo)
    Married since 3.6.10 (21 & 24yo)
    Baby Olivia coming 4.14.15 <3 (26 & 29yo)

January Siggy Challenge: Fitness Fails

• Options
    This is happening to me with my fiancé and I talked to my dad about it. He absolutely loves kids and babies, but my dad said that when guys find out they aren't excited until baby is here. All of a sudden they have to take care of so much financially they panic about that and then when baby gets here they are finally excited. We bond before because we carry baby. I'm trying to keep that in mind too hopefully that's what your husband is going through.
  • Options
    Its definitely been a journey for you both and dont let his actions right now get you down this is a way of him doing his thing. So let him do house things. You are raging with hormones right now and expect him to feel nesty too but trust me men dont feel that nesty till the bub is here and even then they get nervous and still dont understand it all!! Pregnancy is a beautiful thing and now your in a safe zone its time to embrace your bump and start to concentrate on yourself and your man. When bub comes along its not going to be just the two of you so try to enjoy the time together. He might be worried underneath because of what you guys have been through and it effects everyone differently and maybe he just doesnt want to let his wall down just incase.... You need to go pamper yourself and stop stressing instead of worrying why hes moved out of the bedroom enjoy the bed to yourself!!! I know my last pregnancy i snored like crazy and my partner was driven mad by it, he recorded me the other night and its normal to become congested and snore when pregnant so maybe you arw snoring and he doesn't want tell you!!!
    Remember you are in it together and just let him do his thing and go and enjoy a massage and catch up with your girlfriends while you can pram free!!!
    Good luck and enjoy your bubba x
  • Options
    He could be feeling a little scared and overwhelmed and that's coming off as him seeming uninterested. My husband was a bit like that with me at first too. I had a miscarriage earlier this year and we were devastated so when he found out I was pregnant again he acted like it wasn't even happening. He did however explain his behaviour to me and told me he was just scared. He's come around now but it did take him a while. I hope your husband comes around soon. Good luck.

Me(24) DH(26)/Married since March 2013
    BFP#1 February 18th 2014/EDD October 27th/MMC discovered at 10w/D&C April 7th 
    BFP#2 July 24th 2014/EDD April 4th 2015/Please be our RAINBOW!
  • Options
    dont worry dear my husband ws also like this in my first pregnancy (and this time too ) but when our son ws born he ws sooo happy and exited........ as its said ..." a woman becomes a Mother when she becomes pregnant and a man becomes a Father when he see his baby". sowait till the baby is born .
  • Options
    It could just be a defense mechanism. He doesn't want to get excited or attached in case something happens again...possibly. Give him some time. Maybe he'll have a change of heart after he sees a healthy, bouncy baby bean at the big 20 week US.
  • Options
    As an L&D nurse, I've observed that a dad doesn't really become a dad until the baby is born. He's probably doing the green audit because that's his way of preparing for baby. Just give him time and, it might take until the baby comes, he'll be excited, too.
  • Options
    I was actually thinking about this post today for some reason and it made me very grateful for DH because he has been really awesome through this whole thing. I told him thank you today for being interested and involved and I told him about your situation. His response: "well, duh... He's scared." He agreed that after the previous loss your H doesn't want to get too attached because facing your emotions is just not the same for guys. So stay tough and wait a little longer I'm sure your H will come around once he realizes this whole thing is real and it is safe for him to be excited and attached.
  • Options
    This was my husband throughout my first pregnancy. He barely made it to the delivery because when I told him I was in labor (drove myself to the hospital) he asked if he could come after he got off work and then stopped for some take out!! I ended up with an emergency c section barely 1 hour after he got to the hospital. Then, something truly awesome happened. He fell in love with our daughter as much as I had. His over protectiveness switched on from the minute she was born. He's been an awesome dad since then.

This time, he's a little more excited but not as much. I'm a lot more relaxed about him being unattached because I know he's going to love our new baby when he/she is here. Try to be patient with him, especially given your history. Men process things emotionally different than women. Chances are, he's going to be thrilled when LO is here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The truth is you're pregnant and he's not and that can't change. My husband is very helpful but no matter what he'll never go through a tenth of what I have to go through to bring this baby into the world. I'm having one of those "it's not fair, care more!" days toward him but in my heart I know as much as they try they'll never really get it. This is our 2nd baby and at least I know how helpful and in love with baby he'll be once it's here. It's just the pregnancy part that's so lonely.
    image Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    heather369heather369 member
    edited October 2014
    It's tricky because everyone's situation is different, and really only you know all the circumstances, but I can add in my own experience. My partner is a very stereotypical man (we're talking Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, man), but because of this he tries to come up with ways to explain his side, so we don't kill each other. When I was distressed about the obvious differences in our excitement levels, part of what he told me was that it just doesn't feel real. He knows it's here, but it doesn't feel like we'll REALLY have a baby, soon. It just doesn't click. Many fathers he spoke to agreed. (They also all said that everything changes the second the baby's born, though!)
    Your partner has suffered a loss, so it may be even trickier for him. Others have already mentioned possibilities for him fixing up the house. As for sleeping in the other room, he might actually be trying to sleep better, himself. I don't know about you, but between the heartburn and the belly and the overheating, I'm a mess in bed. I'm up right now, if that's any indicator. Pregnant women don't seem easy to sleep with. Maybe he's trying to get a full night's rest without hurting your feelings?
    (I'd try giving him a break with the books and that. A lot of guys just won't.)
  • Options
    This happened with me this time around. I had 2 miscarriages in a row this year and when everything was going well in the beginning with this pregnancy he could "care less" even though he did care. It wasn't until this past week that he actually started to talk to me a bit about things. I 100% know it's because of the losses and did stop talking about things for a bit with him! Guys don't think like or feel like we do. It sucks and I feel for you! Unfortunately - time will help and what the other ladies said, focusing on other topics with him right now :) good luck my thoughts go to you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"