Special Needs
Options

Random - his little backpack

Today, we 'retired' Chris's backpack.  Yep, an inanimate object.  His little Elmo backpack.  And I cried.  I told my husband I refused to throw it out.  He asked why.  It's an old backpack, frayed, worn, what's the big deal?  Especially since I'm not the sentimental type.  But this little backpack was with him on that first day in November 2011 when he left the house for the first time to do something on his own - to get on a school bus to go to his ABA center where he'd be away from mommy - riding 1 1/2 hrs each way for a 2 hr therapy session.  And it went with him daily to pre-school, every day for 2 years.  And on that big day when he walked into a building far bigger than anyone he'd been in before for his first day of Kindergarten, there was that little Elmo backpack on his back.  I packed it every day with a notebook, some PB&J, a snack and some goldfish.  

But now it's too small because he isn't and that makes me happy but also sad.  My little guy's been working hard for 3 of his 5 yrs.

So now the little backpack is hanging in my closet.  I think maybe I'll put some keepsakes in it.  

Told you this was random. 
*sniffle*
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Random - his little backpack

• Options
    Why toss it?!

For us, we still use DS' Elmo bag (the ones teaching ABC, and how to button something right?) to carry his video games and activities while on car rides, etc.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS had that Skippy Jon Jones backpack from Kohl's. It was the perfect size for him to go to preschool and my parents bought it for him.

I could not throw it out and it was worn in a few places. I did keep it and stuck some Skippy Jon Jones books in it and it stays in his room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS's preschool backpack (a personalized one from PBK that I spent way too much for) now houses his portable DVD player. I'm sure I'll never give it up!
  • Options
    I totally get this, 100%.  And have 2 backpacks (a tiny cammo and orange one and a toy story) in the closet to prove it. 
  • Options
    Why toss it?! For us, we still use DS' Elmo bag (the ones teaching ABC, and how to button something right?) to carry his video games and activities while on car rides, etc.
    Yep, that's the one!  That's actually a good idea.  Maybe we'll turn it into his little 'day trip' bag when I don't need to cart around a giant diaper bag.

• Options
    Aw.  I may feel the same way someday about DS1's robot backpack!

• Options
    I feel the same way. We also use DS1's previous backpack for day trips and vacations. I think of it as being green ;)  

• Options
    I'm totally going to react the same way when that time comes.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"