May 2013 Moms
Options

Timeout Update

For those that started timeouts, how has it been working for you and LO? We had a bad day with DS and hitting us and ripping off DH's glasses. DH has a scratch going down his cheek from today.

I feel I really need to start putting him in timeout. We have a corner, but I need to clean it out first.

Some questions for you- do you gate LO in for the timeout? What has worked and not worked for you? Any other input?

TIA, I am off to work, but will check back when I can! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19

Re: Timeout Update

• Options
    Personally, I don't think a timeout is really effective at this age.  I prefer to just redirect and try to anticipate the offense before it happens.  But, with regard to using a time out, I have done that in the past with my older kids.  I want to say I started around 2-3 years.  They say it should be for the number of minutes that correlates to their age.  We used a "timeout couch" that was in our front office.  There weren't any toys, or kid's items in there.  I would have them sit on the couch, and I would then use the computer with an eye to the side to make sure they sat there.  That was enough for my kids.  They didn't like being taken from their toys or whatever they had been doing before that.  Once they got the idea that they had to stay on the couch, I didn't need to stay in there with them (around 4-5).  After that age, usually just the threat of having to go to the time out couch was enough to stop the negative behavior.  We never used spanking, etc.  Time out worked fine for us. For the current issue with your DH getting cut, I'd try to explain that Daddy got hurt because he took the glasses.  Show him the scratch, and let him know it made Daddy sad.  Try to explain that too when he hits.  This has worked with discouraging my LO from hitting our dogs.  I also model with her how to be "gentle".

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    I am doing "gentle" when needed. I pet his face and then I take his hand and have him pet my face. I think more often DS hits to get a reaction out of us. So maybe if I went right to gentle he wouldn't get that reaction? Usually I tell him "No hitting" and other times I put him down or I stand up and "ignore" him for a minute.

I remember the posts about timeouts in 15 months check in. I was just curious if those that said they were going to start have done it and what their experiences were.

Me (32) DH (34) | |
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think DS understands time outs but I do them for DD's sake. If she has just gone to time out for something and then he does it, she asks "why baby not go to time out?". So I go through the motions of time out with him for her sake. He stays in time out maybe 30seconds.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I am doing time-outs and I would say it is effective.   We only do thirty to forty-five seconds but LO is separated from us by a door.   I am on the outside of the door so he knows I am there.    When it is over we hug.
    I agree with others that this is a young age for time outs but my little one already seems to be a bit of a prankster and thinks redirection is funny and loves to test limits for entertainment purpose.
  • Options
    @allydncr‌ I remember your Pinterest fail pic of DD crying in her crib with all the balloons. Too funny!

@coffeeandbooks‌ My DS seems to be the same when I try to redirect him. It's like a game of let's see how far I get before mommy catches me.

Me (32) DH (34) | |
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    We do time out for 1 minute and it's worked very well for E. He's a little older than most here though (18 months last week). We just started in the last month and use them sparingly for things like hitting his brother, throwing a tantrum etc. I explain why he's in time out and sit him in his spot... he usually stays but if he gets up I just put him right back and remind, "you're in time out for xyz". It's definitely helped his behavior (especially the full on kicking and screaming melt-downs over silly things like big brother having his turn with a toy). I say something like i'm sorry you're sad right now, but that's not a nice way to act... and then put him in his spot. It really helps calm him down and I've seen some great improvements in his behavior. When timeout is done I remind him again why he had timeout and we "apologize" to big brother or whoever, then hugs and kisses. I do think though it's important to wait until they're old enough to respond to it well. If they're not connecting the dots between the behavior and the time out then it's a waste of time

Edit: meant to say, I don't put him in another room or leave the room while he's in timeout. He just gets pulled from the action and sits in the same room we're in. I just think that works better for as young as he is
    image  image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the perspective ladies! I think I may do a trial period and see how he responds to it. And go from there.

Me (32) DH (34) | |
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"