January 2014 Moms
Options

Moving with baby

Ok ladies who have moved or are in the process, I have three weeks to execute this move. Best organizational tips would be appreciated. I've moved a lot but could use some ideas for handling baby stuff. We are moving locally so we don't have to worry about long distances luckily. Also how did lo adjust to new space/transition? We are still up 2+ times a night and I haven't wanted to cio but I'm thinking after the move might be a good time to start something as he will be 9months on the 28th. I've seen some mom's mention no cry sleep solution, any others you recommend?

Re: Moving with baby

• Options
    I moved with DS when he was about 11 months. I kept all the essentials out until the last minute. He transitioned well to his room. I tried to let him explore it before it was time for him to sleep in it for the first time. I also put black out curtains up which he had in his old room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    babybuns2babybuns2 member
    edited October 2014
    We're almost positive we're moving across the country this winter (obviously haven't done so yet) but I was asking our pediatrician for tips and she said to try not to wash LO's bedding a week before you move.  That way she's used to 'her' smell of her bed, lovey, etc.  She suggested blackout curtains as well, which we use now anyway.  She said to try to set her room up immediately, (before anything else in the house) and as closely to how it was in her old room as possible so it's as close to 'finished' as possible- that way things aren't changing in her sleep environment every day for a week or two.  She also suggested to let her play in her room as much as possible during the day, and that if she really had a hard time settling for bed, to sleep on the floor the first night to help her feel safe, but ONLY for the first night so she doesn't get used to that.  

Again, haven't actually done any of these yet, but I wouldn't have thought of some of the stuff, so I thought I'd pass it on!

ETA: I have zero organizational tips and am a little terrified about that fact, so I'll be watching this thread closely.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no moving advice but regarding sleep training: check out The Sleep Easy Solution book. SO great! My LO was and absolute mess trying to get her down for bed every night before we started. Now she falls asleep on her own in 2 or 3 minutes. It also lays out a plan for weaning night feeds which I am working on now. And yes she did cry a bit in the beginning but it is so worth it in the long run and some crying inorder to get her to sleep better is a pretty healthy trade off. Good luck with the move and sleep!
             *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
  • Options
    We moved when DS was 5 months. I packed all of his things last. When the time came to pack his stuff, I set out a laundry basket and put enough outfits, burp rags etc. in it to last us a couple of days. Then packed everything else except the crib. I recruited my mom to babysit the last night in our old house (so that we could get his furniture out) and the first night in the new house (so we could get his stuff in). It worked out really well for us. Once we got to the new house, we put him in his crib right away. I didn't wash his sheets or blankets in between. I don't know if that helped, but all of his stuff still smelled like "home". He has done really well. Good luck!!

Married July 14, 2012

Hudson - January 7, 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I packed up the crib 1.5 weeks before we moved and put LO into her pack n play in her room so she would be used to the pack n play in a familiar environment. That way, when we moved, she'd have the familiarity of the pack n play and there was no rush to set up the crib right away. In fact, 3 weeks later and she's still in it. We've been too busy to take the time to set up her crib. 
  • Options
    oh regarding sleep training, we did Ferber and the ol' CIO method. Worked well and she was sleeping through the night in 3 days. Saved my life. 
  • Options
    We are still in the process off very long move, so our situation may be different (we're taking three months between the old house and new house, and are currently in an apartment). But, as far as sleep training and moving... I didn't have the heart to let him cry more than a minute or two because we are in a new place, our neighbor can probably hear him, etc etc..... This led to waking up every couple, few hours, even though I know he didn't need to eat that often. One night, on his first wake-up, I said to my husband, "every single night, I tell myself I need to sleep train, and every single day I forget and go back to the same thing the next night." He just stared back at me like, ".......so here is your chance." I let him cry. And you know what? Just that one cry cut down our wake-ups from SEVERAL a night to just two. (Midnightish and 4:00 am). Give yourself a night or two to adjust and then have faith!!!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I'm looking forward to being in the new place and working on the sleep :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"